A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Audi A8L left front suspension will not lower???

Old 05-21-2018, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Audi A8L left front suspension will not lower???

I recently purchased a 2004 Audi A8L. The dynamic suspension system is all new to me, and I started having a problem with my left front shock. Compressor and the 3 other shocks all are working properly and will go through all 4 levels. The left front is stuck on lift mode, and does not want to lower (was working properly less than a week ago). At the same time the shock stopped lowering I also lost the front headlight on the same side. I am getting codes for front left level sensor, and head light. Seems like I need to replace the sensor and headlight, but the timing of them going out seemed odd, and was wondering if there us a control or something along those lines that handles both systems that should be checked first. Any info or trouble shooting tips?
Old 05-21-2018, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Sounds like a faulty or disconnected suspension level sensor on that wheel. Headlight range control relies on suspension level data. So if that is off, the headlight auto level (range) control systems stops working also.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Agreed, first thing to check it the little lever attached to the lower control arm and see that it isn't damaged.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Sounds like a faulty or disconnected suspension level sensor on that wheel. Headlight range control relies on suspension level data. So if that is off, the headlight auto level (range) control systems stops working also.
Thanks for the info. I am putting some new tires on it today, and will check the sensor and wiring. Lucky my best friend owns the local auto shop in our town. I will update once I get a chance to take a better look at it.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default wiring issue

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Turned out it was a wiring issue with the left front sensor. Two of the wires were grounding before the switch. Fixed the wires and now they are all working. Now I am starting to have a new problem. Left front headlight was burnt out, so I replaced it with a factory bulb. Now the dash says service and indicates that the right front headlight bulb is burnt out, but it is working properly. Also yellow adaptive suspension light will not go away. the left front sensor code is gone, but still states system leak detected. I believe in the front right somewhere. If is sits for 5/6 days the right front will be 1/2" lower, but does not seam to be the shock leaking, any thoughts on what to check next would be helpful. thanks again for the info
Old 05-30-2018, 10:03 AM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 'service' message is based on timing or mileage or something I believe. Do you have access to a VAG or Vag-Com / VCDS system or are you using a regular OBD-II code reader? I'd buy one if you intend on doing anything yourself. You'll be able to reset that service indicator message and get more detailed information on each system component. Also, you'll be able to reset all the DTCs and see which comes back.

Re: that yellow adaptive suspension light - it stays on the entire time the car is in dynamic / auto mode? Is it on during comfort / lift?
Old 05-30-2018, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by a_very_naudi_guy
The 'service' message is based on timing or mileage or something I believe. Do you have access to a VAG or Vag-Com / VCDS system or are you using a regular OBD-II code reader? I'd buy one if you intend on doing anything yourself. You'll be able to reset that service indicator message and get more detailed information on each system component. Also, you'll be able to reset all the DTCs and see which comes back.

Re: that yellow adaptive suspension light - it stays on the entire time the car is in dynamic / auto mode? Is it on during comfort / lift?
The yellow light adaptive suspension light is on on all 4 levels all the time. I have a OBD-II, but one of my good friends owns the local auto shop in town and will run VAG scam for me for free when needed. The two suspension codes we currently are getting is
01580 - Leak in System Detected - Intermittent
01400 - Suspension Lower Limit Reached - Intermittent
Before fixing the wiring on the front level sensor I was also getting
01575 - Control Switched Off
01577 - Turn - Off Due To Over Temperature Upper Limit Reached - Intermittent
01722 - Signal From Level Control Pressure Sensor (G291) Not A Plausible Signal - Intermittent
00776 - Level Control System Sensor Left Front (G78) Electrical Problem in Circuit
Since fixing the wires on the front level sensor, those codes have been cleared and have not come back. The car's suspension system seems to be working properly when driven, and goes through all four levels as it should. I think the leak must be very slow on coming front the right front somewhere. If the car sits for 5/6 days it will be 1/2" lower on the right front, but as soon as the car is started it pops right up and stays there. I have checked for leaking in the shock, and air hose connectors, but could not find any.