Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Siphoning Oil Required?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Siphoning Oil Required?

I called a shop I use to do oil changes on my C6 about doing an oil changes on my current car, and they said that now Audi requires siphoning oil from the top in oil changes and they don’t have the equipment. I thought this was strange. Another thread said a dealer didn’t siphon.

Is this a required operation, does anyone know what the benefit is beyond draining oil out, and do you know if other shops are using this behavior? Thanks!
Old 06-12-2018, 07:30 AM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

My dealer siphoned on my first service. Watched it on my dashcam. I know my motor has a drain plug, so either method can be done. Try another shop. Sounds like this shop doesn't want to do Audi cars.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

they do not "require" siphoning. there is a drain plug on the bottom of the pan.

I have an extractor but prefer to use the drain plug.
I think both ways are fine, siphoning is marginally faster.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bpd
My dealer siphoned on my first service. Watched it on my dashcam. I know my motor has a drain plug, so either method can be done. Try another shop. Sounds like this shop doesn't want to do Audi cars.
I would want a complete drain from the bottom. Not a siphoning.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Interesting. I was told Audi says siphoning is the only way that’s acceptable to do it. The company I mentioned wouldn’t even do a bottom plug and fill because of this. I thought pulling from the bottom made sense too.

Last edited by schalliol; 06-13-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:13 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Are they really siphoning, or sucking the oil out with a machine? I would think that siphoning would take forever, even with hot oil.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I have been changing my oil the traditional way since I bought the car. Every 5K miles (I'm a bit conservative). I put in a quick drain valve and cut a piece out of the underbelly cover for quick access. Here's the post with a pic of what it looks like. Oil changes are like 10 minutes.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...-shop-2896710/
Old 06-16-2018, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Interesting. Does anyone know how Audi recommends?
Old 06-16-2018, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
Interesting. Does anyone know how Audi recommends?
Audi extracts it through the dipstick so that’s good. And draining out the plug is fine as well. I use the extractor as I don’t want to have to get under the car and mess with the belly pan. Another poster has a good plan with the quick drain and cutting a hole in the pan.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do all my own oil changes, and found the convenience of not having to get under the vehicle at all was a great benefit to using an oil extractor, particularly as the oil filter is changed from the top of this engine. And gone is the additional chore of removing/ replacing the body panels under the car - though that trick of making an access hatch is a clever one. I was skeptical that the extractor would take out all the oil and I must admit that I did a bit of playing around with the plastic tubing that was sent down the oil dip stick tube - or is that properly referred to now as the oil extractor tube? - in an attempt to remove as much oil as possible. I was a bit disappointed when my method of checking what came out indicated that about 1/3 quart remained inside the oil pan. I made the appropriate adjustment when pouring in the fresh oil. However, after checking the oil level on the MMI a few days later it indicated almost 1/2 quart low, so I added a bit more fresh oil. Apparently, my measuring system for the used oil was not totally accurate, and perhaps a wee bit was due to the new filter soaking up some oil. I definitely recommend the extraction method.

Quick Reply: Siphoning Oil Required?