TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

So are the exhaust burbles, crackles and pops gone for good on the RS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default So are the exhaust burbles, crackles and pops gone for good on the RS?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but did the USA cars always have less exhaust burble, crackle and popping versus the European spec cars or was that a recent change with the EPA thing and the port hold? I don't remember hearing any on my recent test drive of a lightly used TTRS but most of the videos online seem to have some (or alot!) going on in the background. It's not a huge deal either way but it is one of those "fun" noises that if I could enhance or emphasize more I probably would.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I get pops and gurgles when the car is downshifting in sport mode. My car was manufactured after that hold fiasco.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nebuul
I get pops and gurgles when the car is downshifting in sport mode. My car was manufactured after that hold fiasco.
That's good to hear. I wonder if mine will? I hope so!
Old 06-12-2018, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is VERY bub-gurg-snap-poply
Old 06-12-2018, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MattRG
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but did the USA cars always have less exhaust burble, crackle and popping versus the European spec cars or was that a recent change with the EPA thing and the port hold? I don't remember hearing any on my recent test drive of a lightly used TTRS but most of the videos online seem to have some (or alot!) going on in the background. It's not a huge deal either way but it is one of those "fun" noises that if I could enhance or emphasize more I probably would.
I got mine almost a year ago and it sounds like Rice Krispies (snap, crackle and pop). After the port hold thing came up I checked with the dealership to see if any ECU upgrades were pending and there were none ergo any alleged association between the the port hold and changes in the ECU maps are erroneous.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I recently purchased a 2018 TT RS and noticed that it barely has the pops n crackle. Granted I only have 700 miles on her😩.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by milo337
I recently purchased a 2018 TT RS and noticed that it barely has the pops n crackle. Granted I only have 700 miles on her😩.
Assuming you have the sport exhaust, pull down on the gear shifter an extra time to put it into sport mode. You should hear tons of gurgles whenever the car downshifts.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by milo337
The approach that I use to maximumize the pops and crackles is to leave the tranny in normal/drive mode, switch the exhaust to sport and manually downshift on deceleration when the tach gets down to 2,000 rpm.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is excellent news. I was a little afraid that had all been legislated out but am very happy to hear that was not the case. I can't wait to start making some noise of my own once my car arrives.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Isn't the exhaust noise electronically generated via the same sound system used by the radio? Therefore, Federal regulations do not apply.

Quick Reply: So are the exhaust burbles, crackles and pops gone for good on the RS?