Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 vs RS5 - An S5 owner test drives RS5

Old 06-12-2018, 01:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 vs RS5 - An S5 owner test drives RS5

Bought a new '18 S5 Sportback last year, and now a friend is considering an RS5. We test drove it and really weren't that impressed actually. Interior is almost identical. Exterior has minor differences (dual jumbo exhaust arguably doesn't look better), and handling/accel felt comparable. The blue color looked like a family sedan color (compared to M3/M4). Just not worth the extra $20k, and my friend agreed. He's thinking of going S5 with a custom color.

If you were waiting on an S5 to hit your dealer, prepare to possibly save $20k and get an S5 instead.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The same could be said when comparing the S5 to the A5.
The following users liked this post:
hawkeyedad (03-11-2022)
Old 06-13-2018, 08:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
For sure. It's just an opinion about the incremental improvement. A5 to S5 gets you 102 more hp and .7 sec faster (C&D testing). S5 to RS5 gets you 90 more hp and .4 sec faster. That .7 sec boost is very noticeable. The .4 sec not as much. The interior/exterior upgrades are somewhat similar, although I would argue it's a bigger improvement going from the A5 to S5 versus S5 to RS5.

Anyway, just something to be aware of if anyone was really waiting on an RS5 to pull the trigger. An S5 might do you just fine. Personally, I think the RS5 needed an electric motor assist to get it closer to 3.3-3.5 range, and more vibrant colors, to really distinguish itself.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Same conclusion by Matt of Carwow

and some other members here in AW and other Audi forums. Only those who can justify spending an extra $20k will be going for something like RS5 over an S5. Those kinds of folks will be likely pushing such a car near its limits often to obtain the benefits of owning such a beast. If it is just for daily driving chores, the most prospective car owners will be quite happy with the S5 in Coupe or Sportback version or even an A5.

Last edited by plat27265; 06-13-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Other than the interior being almost identical, I upgraded from a S5 Sportback to an RS5 and it was 100% worth it.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 18RS5
Other than the interior being almost identical, I upgraded from a S5 Sportback to an RS5 and it was 100% worth it.
What improvement did you feel was worth it?
Old 06-13-2018, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
IMO not the same comp, specially because of the engine and interior spec. S5 is closer to the RS5 than the A5 is to the S5. I have an A5 Cab and an S5 SB.... completely different experiences.... both great cars, but very different levels.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I have been pondering this scenario a lot since the RS5 Sportback was announced.

Recent thinking/discussion has led me to the following:
  • Mild , warranty safe, and easily reversible modifications (intercooler, JB4), will get me to the power levels I can be happy with.
  • The RS6 Avant (which may come stateside) or next RS7 is the special car I really want.
Reasons center around the S5 SB being quite the GT car and feeling totally satisfied with a GT car over something smaller and more toss able (my FBO Mk7 Golf R)
Secondly, more and more is pointing me to think to this RS5 is a swing and a miss from Audi Sport on the performance side. It should have had closer to 500hp or a much svelter build at its current power level.

I'll go drive an RS5 sportback when they come around, but I suspect I will not buy one.

Last edited by ArvX147; 06-13-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ryanjm
What improvement did you feel was worth it?
I can tell you the extra horsepower/torque is a nice jump from the S5, you can feel it majorly in "S" and dynamic drive select. The sound of the exhaust (louder and makes more pops and crackles) the fact I can get the black optic package. another thing I found better was the B/O sound system definitely better (even though package costs the same price?) now am I trying to say it was worth a full 20k more? ehhh maybe not BUT definitely a nice step up no doubt.

Oh and another thing I will say, I got the Dynamic plus package that has the ceramic brakes and I can honestly say I didn't feel much of a difference between them and the brakes on my Sportback which I think is a bit odd but I've never felt carbon ceramics otherwise so not sure.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ArvX147
I have been pondering this scenario a lot since the RS5 Sportback was announced.

Recent thinking/discussion has led me to the following:
  • Mild , warranty safe, and easily reversible modifications (intercooler, JB4), will get me to the power levels I can be happy with.
  • The RS6 Avant (which may come stateside) or next RS7 is the special car I really want.
Reasons center around the S5 SB being quite the GT car and feeling totally satisfied with a GT car over something smaller and more toss able (my FBO Mk7 Golf R)
Secondly, more and more is pointing me to think to this RS5 is a swing and a miss from Audi Sport on the performance side. It should have had closer to 500hp or a much svelter build at its current power level.

I'll go drive an RS5 sportback when they come around, but I suspect I will not buy one.
Yeah I will say that I wish I had the patience to wait for the Sportback RS5, but I'm young so a coupe will do for now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S5 vs RS5 - An S5 owner test drives RS5