Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi 2011 S5 DSG Gearbox malfunction mechatronic transmission issues advice requested

Old 06-17-2018, 08:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 2011 S5 DSG Gearbox malfunction mechatronic transmission issues advice requested

Hello Audi Forum,

If you would so kind as to lend any suggestions, it would greatly appreciated. I will kindly post all feedback received to assist all forum members. I am having issues with my 2011 Audi S5 dsg 7 spd transmission MSE Code transmission: I am getting the dreaded "gear box malfunction"code, as well as the "TPMS" light code that comes on shortly before or after the gearbox malfunction code, also the TPMS, and a third code P0750, the codes normally come on shortly after one another, typically when the car is cold, however also when the car engine is warm or if I have to stop or idle for more than a minute or so at a stop light the codes will come on. I was also given this code via Audi diagnostic, I wrote word for word what was stated on the diagnostic report : Fault code P17D400 valve 3 in partial transmission 1 mechanical malfunction.Trying to figure out whether this is mechatronic unit or valve body unit issue, or if i need an entire transmission. I have hard shifts, sometimes no reverse, my car will go into limp mode with the top speed being 50mph. If I have to drive slow or in stop and go traffic the codes will come on, however If i can turn the car off and restart the car i can get reverse gear, or If i am able to drive and quickly accelerate sometimes i can get the car to drive normally and can get onto the highway and the car drives normal once on the highway.

Questions:

1. Does this sound like mechatronic circuit board or transmission valve body?

2. Will i have issues with software and programming the transmission from Audi? if i swap out the valve body, and or mechatronic units, or a used transmission? At this point i am really disgusted with Audi as there seems to be lots of people complaining about the same transmission issues, and of course Audi of America is refusing any assistance, on a car bought from V.W.dealership with 67k miles, and now have 88k miles and of course warranty expired. I also had warranty transmission work performed for the same hard shifting issues less than one year ago, however over the 12k mile warranty work performed by Audi of Charlotte (frankly got a bum deal from them and wasn't treated well by their service manager at all, hung up the phone on me because i questioned their repair work as it seems that they did a short term patch job just to get me on the road knowing that the warranty would expire and then the quote of 13k for replacement transmission)

3. Would buying a used transmission be the better option in this scenario? If used transmission, has anyone had issues getting the used transmission programmed to work in your cars?

4. Do you know of any shops in Atlanta or close to Atlanta that you would recommend?

5. Anyone know of class actions, or an attorney in Atlanta Ga, or North Carolina, that may be willing to assist with this?

6. Anyone had any success with solving these dreaded costly bum transmissions from Audi.

rob collins 510 472-9091
Old 06-18-2018, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Didn't know the 2011 S5 came with the 7sp DSG or s-tronic. Always thought it was the 6sp TIP. And not until 2013 did they have a 7sp DSG in the S5.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Usually" it's the electronics in the mechatronic, not the valve body itself. If that's the case, ECS Tuning actually sells the electronics part separately for around $350 if I remember correctly. If you have a qualified independent shop repair it, the whole bill "should" be less than a grand as you can do it without having to remove the transmission. You can replace the entire mechatronic unit at greater expense of course. I believe new ones are around $1200.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yes i am pretty sure my car does have the dsg duel clutch seven speed transmission based on what i have been told by the dealership. as they quoted a whopping 13k for replacement...
Old 06-18-2018, 03:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

hey Ape factory thanks for your reply. i spoke with an Audi parts guy today, and i dont know if the guy didnt know what he was talking about, but he stated that the Mechatronic and the valve body, are the same not a separate unit. It sounded strange however i needed more info from him so i decided not to question him to hard....lol
Old 06-18-2018, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lmariorod
Wow. Didn't know the 2011 S5 came with the 7sp DSG or s-tronic. Always thought it was the 6sp TIP. And not until 2013 did they have a 7sp DSG in the S5.
yes i am pretty sure my car does have the dsg duel clutch seven speed transmission based on what i have been told by the dealership. as they quoted a whopping 13k for replacement...
Old 06-18-2018, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Normally they're not but ECS Tuning gets the electronic part of it separately so you no longer have to buy the entire thing. Here's a link: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...it/0b5398009e/
Old 06-18-2018, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey double check that you do have a 7-speed. I'm assuming there's a gear indicator like the RS5 on the center of the dash in between the tach and speedo. Put in manual mode and click up through the gears. Looks like the 4.2L came with the 6-speed and the convertible, with the 3.0T came with the S-Tronic.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
"Usually" it's the electronics in the mechatronic, not the valve body itself. If that's the case, ECS Tuning actually sells the electronics part separately for around $350 if I remember correctly. If you have a qualified independent shop repair it, the whole bill "should" be less than a grand as you can do it without having to remove the transmission. You can replace the entire mechatronic unit at greater expense of course. I believe new ones are around $1200.
Yea Ape iwill call ecs tomorrow and speak to them regarding what they have available as i found a new mechatronics unit which includes the valve body for 1800.00 so i will check with ecs tomorrow to see if they have gotten any good results with the partial electronics piece...man i really apprecaite your assistance, as well as eveyone else that has chimed in....
Old 06-18-2018, 07:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i will check into this as well to ensure that i do have a 7spd dsg as my car is the 2011 convertible 3.0t s5

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi 2011 S5 DSG Gearbox malfunction mechatronic transmission issues advice requested