Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Yet Another Window Tint Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Yet Another Window Tint Question

I’ve read all the window tint posts and am hoping to narrow the subject down to what is legal for California drivers.

One post from a SQ5 owner said his window tint guy measured the rear passenger windows at 20% (20% VLT meaning 20% light gets thru). Then there are ample posts - some from my state, about getting front window tint with 35% VLT. Not sure what the VLT is for the factory front windows, but whatever that stock VLT is, it further reduces whatever if the VLT of the tint material installed, if I am not mistaken.

In any event, a few fellow Californians posted that they got the window installer to match front window tint to the rear window tint. That would seem to really raise the odds of getting a ticket, given that under current California law, VLT for the front windows must be 70% or more

Be nice to get some info from those here in CA in general (and San Diego specifically as the a good tint guy/company) what they have in their front windows that conforms to CA laws, and how close those conforming front windows look compared to the rear windows. Pics of course, would be awesome...but just some useful information woud be nice too, particularly from those who know what the Q5 rear window VLT figure is (and your source) and maybe even what is the VLT for the stock front windows.

This info would be nice to know, given this excerpt from the September 17, 2017 edition of the Los Angles Times:

“According to the CHP, from January 2015 through the end of August of this year, a total of 193,025 tickets were issued to drivers for violating the California law that forbids illegally tinted windows.”

[Editorial comment: Here in the ‘Peoples Republic of California’, we have no shortage of regulations governing every possible aspect of our lives].

Last edited by jaims; 06-18-2018 at 03:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-18-2018, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I believe the backs measure around 20% stock, however it's only privacy glass and very little heat rejection. Cali law allows for blacked out behind the driver and passenger and 70% for the 2 front driver and passenger. There are a few brands that have 70%, another option is airblue 80 which is nearly clear with a slight blue hue to it. Nearly invisible but gives the heat rejection of a good ceramic. California doesn't play around, if you go darker, plan on having to remove it in the future when you get pulled for it
Old 06-18-2018, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 20% on my front windows and the match to the factory colored rear glass is perfect.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I finally found another forum about California ad window tinting - and learned that essentially, the 70% VTL requirement here in CA equates with it being illegal to have ANY tint on either front window. Bummer.

Interesting read here:

Tint ticket -- Should I fight?

(Topic: CA driver getting busted for tinted windows)

Most of what I have read leads me to conclude that cops/highway patrol will not bother to pull you over just for tint on those two front windows (ie. will ticket you after pulling you over for something else besides tint). So I will probably go with something in the 40% to 50% and take my chances.

I do see a lot of cars on the streets of CA with tint on the front windows that are about as dark as Las Vegas hotel blackout curtains (LOL). Either blissfully ignorant or knowingly rolling the dice to have the look they want.

I guess I can see the point of law enforcement. Walking up to a car window that is pitch black would be more than a little unnerving - especially in some of the rougher parts of a city. Scarier still at night I suppose (and really unnerving if the driver doesn't roll down the window to greet the cop).

Last edited by jaims; 06-18-2018 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 06-18-2018, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Depending on the color of your interior, you can often go a little lighter and still look darker. I have a black interior and did 40% all around. In a parking garage, it looks damn near blacked out. in the sun, you can still see in, even through the back.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated, CA laws are pretty strict. I ran 35% on a previous Audi and was pulled over 3 times for tint and given a ticket twice. My last car I ran 50% and pulled over a couple of times, non tint related and was not cited for the tint. One cop did say that he could write me a ticket but he felt that it was light enough to be acceptable. With that said, on my new SQ I'm running ceramic 45%. with black interior and so far, I haven't had any issues. Keep in mind that I drive through Santa Monica everyday and the bike cops are notorious for writing up stupid ****. Best picture I can find that shows the tint. Sunroof screen was open in this shot.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just another reason why CA is a $hith0le
Old 06-18-2018, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2018_SQ5
Just another reason why CA is a $hith0le
?????
Old 06-19-2018, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I would think that you would all be more sensitive to the risks cops take at a traffic stop, especially if they can't see in. Laws are there for a reason.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe if you get a note from a dermatologist or maybe even your primary care you can get tint darker than that. Jerry Brown just signed it into law in the Fall. Meant to prevent skin cancer, or, in some states, an ophthalmologist can write a note for your eyes. Do some research and see what level it lets you go to

Quick Reply: Yet Another Window Tint Question