Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Audi Sound System what are my upgrade options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts
Default Audi Sound System what are my upgrade options?

Due the way options are packaged in the UK, I couldn't just tick the B&O option without being forced into the "Comfort and Sound" package - which I absolutely didn't want.

So first of all, where are these 10 speakers on an A5 Sportback?

Correct me if I am wrong?
1 x Centre
1 x tweeter per door = 4
1 x mid per door = 4
1 x Subwoofer = Where is it? Spare wheel well or somewhere else.

Where is the Amp?

The presence of a centre speaker means that DSP is in in operation all the time and there is no complete Stereo mode.
I am surprised that in my 2018 car I don't have a Subwoofer gain **** that some cars seem to have.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't know the answer to your question, but I, too, am not a fan of the bundling of options into packages. Let me say, however, I am not against offering packages -- with a decent discount for the bundle. What I would like to be able to do is buy individual features "at MSRP" and not have to get something I don't want. Not all that long ago rear sunshades were bundled with a "convenience" package. Then, a couple of years later the sunshades were bundled with the navigation system as part of a driver assistance package.

I assume packages help the overall transaction price increase -- which is good for the company and its dealers. Again, no problem with this laudable goal. Yet, there are times when just ordering that one feature from a package that offers three (two of them that you don't want) could be mutually beneficial.

I don't know if the "premium, premium+, and prestige "packages" are offered outside of the US -- but, generally speaking, I like this particular packaging approach, and it is possible to configure a P+ and add a Prestige option and get something that may be exactly what you want.

Perhaps the reasons, beyond the obvious, are valid -- but I don't understand the crazy bundling schemes more often than not.

Good luck.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 06-21-2018 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:16 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I don't know the answer to your question, but I, too, am not a fan of the bundling of options into packages. Let me say, however, I am not against offering packages -- with a decent discount for the bundle. What I would like to be able to do is buy individual features "at MSRP" and not have to get something I don't want. Not all that long ago rear sunshades were bundled with a "convenience" package. Then, a couple of years later the sunshades were bundled with the navigation system as part of a driver assistance package.

I assume packages help the overall transaction price increase -- which is good for the company and its dealers. Again, no problem with this laudable goal. Yet, there are times when just ordering that one feature from a package that offers three (two of them that you don't want) could be mutually beneficial.

I don't know if the "premium, premium+, and prestige "packages" are offered outside of the US -- but, generally speaking, I like this particular packaging approach, and it is possible to configure a P+ and add a Prestige option and get something that may be exactly what you want.

Perhaps the reasons, beyond the obvious, are valid -- but I don't understand the crazy bundling schemes more often than not.

Good luck.
Possibly reduced sku inventory for the dealer to have on hand? When my wife bought her Lexus 10 years ago, the dealer had 3 “tiers” — barebones - mid-level equipped — top of the line, loaded. When you picked your tier and color, the lot attendant brought a car matching what you wanted up to the reception area and you drove away. It was that “simple” - cut & dried.

I’m not sure how it works today and maybe they stock several tiers - but you didn’t have many choices and they flew off the lot.

With so many options offered in the Audi, it may make sense to bundle to keep dealer inventory costs down. And if you want to make your options choices, you have to custom order and wait. In the case of the S & RS series, I would think there is a “basic” level that the US market requires for “Walk-in-buys” but my dealer had a pretty basic RS5 that sat for a few weeks until a local kid who was drafted by a pro football team came in with his signing bonus and paid cash. If that RS5 were more fully equipped, I would have considered the upgrade while waiting for my S5 - but it was missing too much to make me switch.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

In the UK we used to get 3 Trim levels called SE, Sport and S Line. SE now removed.
Then you can add a whole list of Bundled Options and Individual options.

The issue with the Comfort and Sound bundled option was that it included B&O sound, Advanced Key, Rear Camera and Hill Hold Assist.
Hill Hold Assist is standard on the S Line, so I would be paying twice. Because I took the Advanced Parking bundled option, I got 360 cameras, which would then override the rear camera, hence again I would be paying twice.
I was certain I didn't want Advance Key. But I did however want the B&O.

Strangely, the B&O is actually listed as a separate stand alone option. But the stupid thing with the configurator is that the moment you add B&O in, it forces you to add the entire Comfort and Sound bundle!! So why even offer it separately?

If they were trying to force people, they could have not listed it as an Individual option, like 360 cameras are only available if you are taking the Advanced Parking bundle.

OK so back to my question. Where is the Amp? I have found the sub and it's behind the battery in the spare wheel well.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
In the UK we used to get 3 Trim levels called SE, Sport and S Line. SE now removed.
Then you can add a whole list of Bundled Options and Individual options.

The issue with the Comfort and Sound bundled option was that it included B&O sound, Advanced Key, Rear Camera and Hill Hold Assist.
Hill Hold Assist is standard on the S Line, so I would be paying twice. Because I took the Advanced Parking bundled option, I got 360 cameras, which would then override the rear camera, hence again I would be paying twice.
I was certain I didn't want Advance Key. But I did however want the B&O.

Strangely, the B&O is actually listed as a separate stand alone option. But the stupid thing with the configurator is that the moment you add B&O in, it forces you to add the entire Comfort and Sound bundle!! So why even offer it separately?

If they were trying to force people, they could have not listed it as an Individual option, like 360 cameras are only available if you are taking the Advanced Parking bundle.

OK so back to my question. Where is the Amp? I have found the sub and it's behind the battery in the spare wheel well.
In the US, the B&O is $950. It sounds excellent and would cost MUCH more to retrofit something even close to comparable.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

In the UK it costs 750. I would have paid that....but as mentioned I couldn't.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

In the UK it costs 750. I would have paid that....but as mentioned I couldn't.
How much was the package vs. how much to upgrade the stereo, though?
Old 06-21-2018, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Did you read my note earlier. I didn't want what was in the package. Cost wasn't the issue.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Did you read my note earlier. I didn't want what was in the package. Cost wasn't the issue.
You're not worth memorizing - and you didn't say how much the packages were. It's not all about you, btw. Someone may see the cost of upgarde vs the package beneficial. Good luck.

Last edited by CtheW0rld; 06-21-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Could we get back to the question. Where is the Amp located on the A5 Sportback? And has anyone upgraded the subwoofer on the F5A?

Quick Reply: Audi Sound System what are my upgrade options?