TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

EPC light comes on WHILE DRIVING and i loose power until i restart PLEASE HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPC light comes on WHILE DRIVING and i loose power until i restart PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thank you for reading! I have had my Audi TT MK1 225hp for a few years now. BONE STOCK, not one single modification to the engine.

For the past few years i would randomly have the ESP light come on maybe once every other month but it always turned off after awhile. Now recently my ESP light will stay on CONSTANTLY and now when im driving down the road the power will cut out and the EPC light will come on as well. I can pull over and restart my car and the EPC light will go away and it will act normal again. I noticed this will happen at lower speeds or if i try to set my cruise control. To get my car home however i noticed that when i set the cruise at 70mph i have no problems (ESP light still on though). Once the EPC light comes on it will not rev above say 1500rpm (Limp mode?).

NOW i have two new engine codes:
P0606 (ECM/PCM processor)
P0103 (mass or volume air flow circuit high input)

BEFORE i had a
P0172 (system too rich)
P0141 (o2 sensor heater circuit)
(Both of which i tried to fix but was not overly concerned)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i have read that this can be anything from the ECU, wheel speed sensor, throttle sensor, brake sensor but i am not sure where to start besides choosing the cheapest one first.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2018, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

It can be a number of things. Including the acceleration sensors ( lateral and longitudinal.) faults from them Clear when the ignition is turned off so they are especially elusive. Are you seeing a “ brake” warning? I seem to remember one with my acceleration sensors. It’s been a long time though, about 10 years ago. That p606 is worrisome. Are you using Vag Com or a generic scanner?
Old 07-06-2018, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am using a generic Scanner and I don’t have a brake light. That is just a switch on your e-brake though and shouldn’t be correlated I wouldn’t think. Also, I have read that the longitudinal/latitude sensores in the steering wheel Collum relate to the ESP and not the EPC
Old 07-06-2018, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Read this thread. Some similarities to your description.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/1-8...D-wtf-2914284/
Old 07-06-2018, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I appreciate the response! So I should replace the N75 valve? They seem to have similar problems so it’s worth a shot!

Is there an upgraded N75 valve? I should also mention I have replaced my diverted valve with a FORGE blow off (non blow off just recirculating like stock) and I also replaced the MAF sensor.

Once again thanks for the help! If this is it I owe you a beer or 12!
Old 07-10-2018, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default EPC

I had to replace the Crank Position Sensor
Old 07-10-2018, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for the reply Dwayne! Did your EPC light stay on constantly and on start up? Most people that Have a bad crank position sensor also have a rough idle and the EPC light comes on as soon as you start the car. Mine idles just fine. Did you have similar issues like mine how it comes on very randomly when driving?
Old 07-10-2018, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by WhiteOut69
Thank you for the reply Dwayne! Did your EPC light stay on constantly and on start up? Most people that Have a bad crank position sensor also have a rough idle and the EPC light comes on as soon as you start the car. Mine idles just fine. Did you have similar issues like mine how it comes on very randomly when driving?
I’ve never had a crank position sensor fail but I’ve read reports that said when one starts to go bad the engine would not start when warm but sometimes would after it cooled off.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by J. Patterson

I’ve never had a crank position sensor fail but I’ve read reports that said when one starts to go bad the engine would not start when warm but sometimes would after it cooled off.
Thank you for the insight, mine has always started just fine. I did just notice that my engine will sputter around 2500-3000RPMs when you rev it up just sitting there. Crank sensors are also cheap so i think that is worth a shot! My n75 valve should be in tomorrow or Thursday, if that is no the culprit i will try a crank position sensor (CPS.) Thanks again!
Old 07-11-2018, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Clean the encoder on the Throttle Position Sensor.

Quick Reply: EPC light comes on WHILE DRIVING and i loose power until i restart PLEASE HELP!!!!