Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 MKII 2017>2018 Interior Changes - Dash Display Retract

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Q7 MKII 2017>2018 Interior Changes - Dash Display Retract

Newbie Audi owner here… first post too… 2018 Q7 was delivered on Monday… LOVE IT!
I’ve noticed a few things different from the 2017 models. The lighting package was definitely tweaked. I have the Prestige (USA)… there is no longer a “dome” light, the map lights in the front don’t have lighted rings and the options for front lights on, rear lights on is no longer, just one button turns all cabin light on… I had a 2018 Q5 loaner while my Q7 was delayed in port… seems like the overhead controls are identical to the Q5… Also, I’ve read that there used to be lights in the door pockets, no more… some subtle differences… No big deal…

The one change that I’m not too happy about… The retractable dash display can no longer be “retracted” while the ignition is active… It still retracts when you turn the car off but pressing the button on the dash only turns the display illumination off… My sales associate gave me a heads up that Q7’s manufactured after April 2018 would have this change (mine has date code 5/18)… He said that it had something to do with being a distraction… I’m wondering if anyone will come up with a coding hack to disable this stupid change. (I bought the OBDEleven adapter and have tweaked about a half a dozen items)

Any other changes that anyone has noticed?

2018 Q7 Prestige, Samurai Gray, Black Optics

Old 07-15-2018, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mattwhit
The one change that I’m not too happy about… The retractable dash display can no longer be “retracted” while the ignition is active… It still retracts when you turn the car off but pressing the button on the dash only turns the display illumination off… My sales associate gave me a heads up that Q7’s manufactured after April 2018 would have this change (mine has date code 5/18)… He said that it had something to do with being a distraction… I’m wondering if anyone will come up with a coding hack to disable this stupid change. (I bought the OBDEleven adapter and have tweaked about a half a dozen items)
Wow, that's one thing I love about Q7. Being able to hide the center screen actually is LESS distracting. It allows for better visibility and prevents your eyes from refocusing on interior. It also makes the dash look cleaner. I hide it as soon as I get in the car. I wish someone would find a coding for it to stay hidden by default. I hate all the new dash designs with the "tablet" look. It looks like someone stuck iPad to the dash in a mad last moment "Oh yeah, we forgot about this crap, where is the crazy glue". Just stupid.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased a Q7 over the weekend also. I purchased one off the lot, but checked the manufacture date on mine and same as your 5/18. I noticed the same thing with the screen button, that it only turns the screen off but not lower it. We test drove a Q7 that manufactured earlier this year and it allowed you to retract the screen. I am glad that I am not alone, but major bummer as sometimes I would like to keep it down in the dash. Interested to know if a code pops up to act the same as the older models.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

It was done to comply with backup camera regulations. The same thing is now true for A3 models.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:35 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Welcome to AW and congrats on the Q7....

Yeah, I wouldn't be too happy about the screen not retracting also. IMO it's ridiculous that you as the driver can no longer decide for yourself it you want to keep it up or retracted while driving..

At least the sales person had warned you about it ahead time so you weren't surprised on delivery day..
Old 07-16-2018, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
It was done to comply with backup camera regulations. The same thing is now true for A3 models.
They should have made it pop up automatically if the screen is retracted when you go into reverse. It does that on my '14 A6. I'm curious if it'll do it on our '17 Q7, need to test that later.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Nice looking '18 BO! Curious, are you able to take a shot from the front or rear looking down the side of the car? I've always been wondering if the BO models have an extra slight flare on the fender trim pieces right above the tires. I haven't found a local BO to compare in person. From all the pictures I've seen it looks like those trim pieces protrude out a little more vs flat on the non-BO models.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Think you nailed it... regulation to take affect May, 2018... The dashboard button is different too...
Old 07-16-2018, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sent you a PM
Old 07-16-2018, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

@GDawgA4 Sent you a PM

Quick Reply: Q7 MKII 2017>2018 Interior Changes - Dash Display Retract