A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Android Auto & MMI Version

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android Auto & MMI Version

So I consistently have problems getting my 2017 B9 A4 to connect /recognize my Android phones for use with Android Auto. Sometimes it connects immediately, sometimes I have to disconnect/reconnect the phone one or multiple times, sometimes I give up because it just doesn't want to connect at all. Sounds like a faulty cable, but I changed out the cable with known-good, high-quality cables and the problem persists. What's really weird is that once it does connect, it stays connected until I disconnect the phone or exit Android Auto... so it smells like a software or handshake issue to me. I have had my car since Dec 2016, and have had this issue across Google Nexus 6P and Google Pixel 2 XL phones, multiple versions of the phone's OS. My car has MMI version 0692 installed.

My questions for the board are:
  1. Do I have an old version of MMI? I don't know that the dealer ever upgraded it, since I never asked.
  2. What version of MMI is current?
  3. Will the dealer upgrade the MMI software for me to try and address the MMI issue?

Last edited by fnarq; 07-18-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 'old' version, as my car is two years old in October, of the MMI firmware and my S8 works ok, I doubt if you'll get the dealer to update the firmware as they tend only to do this under instructions from base.Is the version of android up to date, is Android Auto also up to date? Have you tried resetting the MMI? Have you tried other phones other than Google brands?
Old 07-19-2018, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cuke2u
I have a 'old' version, as my car is two years old in October, of the MMI firmware and my S8 works ok, I doubt if you'll get the dealer to update the firmware as they tend only to do this under instructions from base.Is the version of android up to date, is Android Auto also up to date? Have you tried resetting the MMI? Have you tried other phones other than Google brands?
Yes, Android Auto is the latest version, as is Google Play Services. I *have* tried resetting the MMI. I have not tried any phones other than the phones I mentioned in the OP.

I did notice this morning that when I plugged the phone in, it was not even charging... I think there might be some lose wiring inside the console. I've already verified my USB cables are solid.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Try holding the USB cable in different positions for 5-10 seconds and see if it effects the charge. Up, Down, Left, Right. I bet one of them works better than others, and would confirm your wiring suspicion.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Your symptoms are indicative of not having the proper cable for AA, packets are being dropped when the phone tries to handshake. Having properly shielded USB cable really makes a difference in how fast AA comes up (or if it comes up at all). I would get an Anker Powerline USB-C to see if this is your problem -- those work the best.

Since you have tried multiple phones with the same symptoms, it's either your cable or your older MMI software. I would start by getting a Anker cable to eliminate that variable.

If a new Anker Powerline cable doesn't do the trick, go to the dealer with your cable and phone and car, and make them let you try your new cable and phones in a new car on the lot, and see if you get the same results.

I will bet you a virtual $1 it is your cable that's the problem here.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have Anker cables already, and have swapped two into the car to test... both cables work fine with either a USB port on PC or USB-A style wall charger... I think it's the wiring inside the console/armrest of the car.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by fnarq
I have Anker cables already, and have swapped two into the car to test... both cables work fine with either a USB port on PC or USB-A style wall charger... I think it's the wiring inside the console/armrest of the car.
I would go to the dealer and see if another Audi gives the same result to eliminate everything other than the car.