S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Drive Select Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Select Questions

So I've been playing around with the settings in Individual mode. Is there anyone who knows, or any place to learn, specifically what they do?

For instance, if you have Dynamic Steering set to Dynamic, that means (ironically) that the steering ration is fixed, correct? So to actually have the steering change, it should be set to auto.

What about the adaptive suspension and the rear differential? What do the different settings do to those?

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

No, there is no detailed description I've come across that describes exactly what they do, because behind these settings are dynamic algorithms that continuously adjust the chassis dynamics based on your driving style and current conditions. The different settings simply tell the system what aspect you'd like to have prioritized. There are essentially two overarching aspects that can be prioritize, comfort and/or agility. In comfort mode the system emphasizes overall comfort where as in dynamic mode it emphasizes overall agility and auto mode balances comfort and agility. For example for the Dynamic Steering, a fixed ratio is more agile as it makes the steering predictable and it also selects a relatively short ratio, so the steering feels predictable, quick and lively. On the other hand a dynamically adjusting ratio makes the car more comfortable to drive, park and maneuver, so that's why in comfort mode the ratio adjusts as well as in auto mode, but auto mode is a bit more agile overall. In individual mode you can essentially emphasis different aspects for the different systems independently. For example you can emphasis comfort for the steering, while emphasizing agility for the sport differential.

The best illustration can be found here. Scroll down a bit to the pentagon diagram and click on the different modes to compare how each prioritizes one of the five aspects of the system.

2018 Audi A4 Engineering | Audi A4 | Audi library

Last edited by superswiss; 07-19-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

How about the owner's manual? Drive Select is fully explained on pages 133 through 135.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

I read the manual but it didn't seem to have all the info I wanted. Basically, I'm trying to figure out how to set the car in Individual. I know I want the sound on Comfort (neighbors) and the steering on Auto. I think I want the differential on Dynamic, but I'm not quite sure. Etc.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkWayneClark
I read the manual but it didn't seem to have all the info I wanted. Basically, I'm trying to figure out how to set the car in Individual. I know I want the sound on Comfort (neighbors) and the steering on Auto. I think I want the differential on Dynamic, but I'm not quite sure. Etc.
It'll take some time driving in different modes to learn how the car behaves and what you like best. It heavily depends on what kind of driving you do as well. With my RS5 I eventually landed on keeping it in Individual mode 95% of the time with everything in Auto, except for the Sport Differential in Dynamic. I prefer the agile handling at all times. Auto for the other modes does IMO an excellent job at balancing the dynamics for daily driving. Whenever I want more excitement I temporarily put the transmission in S before going to manual mode, which puts the engine/transmission in Dynamic mode and opens the exhaust. That's essentially the same as temporarily changing the Drive Select mode in Individual to Dynamic for the engine/transmission. I also generally drive in manual mode except if I'm just doodling around town or cruising on the highway with ACC engaged. I only change the overall Drive Select mode if I'm going on a long highway trip, in that case I put it in Comfort, or I'm hitting up the canyons and it that case I put it in Dynamic, but for the rest of the time my Individual mode setup is pretty perfect along with toggling between D, M and MS depending on my mood.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-19-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good info, thanks.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

So, as of now, I have sound on comfort, the differential on dynamic, and everything else on auto. Seems to be working well for me.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The other modes are difficult to break down (really wish Audi would provide deeper systems info), but here's a decent layout of what's going on with dynamic steering in each mode (compared against standard steering):

Dynamic Steering:

Comfort: Ratio changes with speed from 9:1 to 18:1, speed sensitive high level of assist
Auto: Ratio changes with speed from 9:1 to 18:1, speed sensitive moderate level of assist
Dynamic: Ratio fixed at 14.3:1, speed sensitive low level of assist.

Standard Steering:

Comfort: Ratio:15.9:1, speed sensitive high level of assist
Auto: Ratio: 15.9:1, speed sensitive moderate level of assist
Dynamic: Ratio: 15:9:1, speed sensitive low level of assist
Old 07-19-2018, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkWayneClark
So, as of now, I have sound on comfort, the differential on dynamic, and everything else on auto. Seems to be working well for me.
Table for one (me). I can't drive this thing with the transmission in D -- I swear that stands for "dog". Set the transmission EVERY SINGLE TIME to "S" for a full week. Get back to us.

Oh, by the way, after you go ONE FULL WEEK in "S" (always, no exceptions, other than when backing up) and you switch to D, well, like I said, "table for one."

You got all the performance bits on yours, how in the wide wide world of sports could you EVER drive the thing in D?

You need to know that the transmission will only upshift to 8th gear if you are using the cruise control. Otherwise, it stops upshifting at 7th gear.

You may have seen that I LITERALLY turn on the ACC as I am pulling out of the driveway of my "stately Wayne Manor" -- by the way, it is NOT that you will always find cruise control appropriate. But when you really need 8th gear (freeway comes to mind), well, using the cruise function makes sense -- unless you live somewhere that you can keep it in 7th gear and weave in and out of traffic at ultra legal speeds (over 90).

I live in a small to medium-sized city (Cincinnati) and traffic is best described as a clog (or a clot).
Old 07-19-2018, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

If I set Engine/Trans to Dynamic, that automatically puts the car in S, correct?

Quick Reply: Drive Select Questions