A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Hello, New A7 Owner - Basic Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, New A7 Owner - Basic Questions

Hello everyone,
I just bought my first Audi. 2016 A7. She is joy to drive and puts a smile on my face every time I get in it. Been huge fan of the way these cars looked from a far so I am happy to finally call one my own. It's nice to get back to a car. Been driving SUVs since, marriage, kids etc, etc Anywho, thought I would say hello. I do like to tinker, so some of the mods/add ons I have read a lot of you guys do has me intrigued. I wanted to ask some basic "noob" questions.
  • The entire VAG COM/VCDS interface/software, and others. Do most of you guys invest in this? It looks like some of the "tweaks" I would like changed, can be done by using this. I am pretty computer savvy but I have never used anything like it so its a bit intimidating just because I don't want to hose anything up. Is there any recommended sites for complete beginners? I don't even know where you would plug it in.
  • I assume dealerships will not make any of these code changes by request? Will Audi custom shops do it? (ie, the entire start/stop thing while driving is something I would love fixed. I always turn it off and I see some have changed it so the car remembers the last setting it was on when last set)
  • The rear sweeping tail lights I find attractive. I see kits are available. Would law enforcement ever pull you over or even notice that the tail lights non-US? (probably over thinking this but wanted to ask) If the kit was purchased would a Audi custom shop install them?. Again, I might be able to tackle it, but man I would hate to f something up.
  • I am located in Minnesota, anyone know the best Audi custom to shop to talk to for any future upgrades etc?
I apologize if there are stickys on this site explaining any of this, I am still getting familiar to the site.

BTW, The photos of your A7s are so good looking. Very jealous. Nice work everyone. I excited to pick away at upgrades as I can.

Thanks in advance,
Murph
Old 07-19-2018, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have the 2016, the lights in rear should sweep already?

The start/stop, and sweeping for that matter, can be accomplished with an Android application (and maybe Apple too??) called Carista with a OBD2 dongle. I was able to change many things on my car including the start/stop with this app and the app is free for 1 week or 30 bucks for a whole year license (worth it cause i was able to do a few things to my Lexus and Toyota Truck too). When time comes the Carista APP can also do the release of the rear brakes when comes times to change those (usually done at dealers or with the VAG COM).

But the VAG COM is a very useful tool, very, and if you intend to tinker further maybe that would be a good investment. Good luck and congrats with purchase.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the response. Last time I looked the lights in the rear "blink". I don't have the Prestige trim, not sure that matters?. I will check again once I leave work today just in case I am a complete idiot. The info on the app is great. I had no idea that even existed. Looks about exactly the level I need. I appreciate the insight.

Murph
Old 07-20-2018, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Murphland
Thanks for the response. Last time I looked the lights in the rear "blink". I don't have the Prestige trim, not sure that matters?. I will check again once I leave work today just in case I am a complete idiot. The info on the app is great. I had no idea that even existed. Looks about exactly the level I need. I appreciate the insight.

Murph
My A7 indicators act like this video review (in the beginning). I like the look of the sweeping indicators but reading over what needs to be done I will worry about other aesthetics that I feel comfortable that I can handle (very low on the list). Anyways, thanks again for the direction.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

OBDeleven is another app that comes with the obd plug and can be used to do much of what the software can. Long coding or apps. You can watch videos to get free credits to do some of the apps. I've been using it for a few months and like it.