Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS Driver assistance package

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RS Driver assistance package

Driver assistance package, thoughts on those who have it. My car has it. Cruise control and traffic jam assist work great. Lane keeping not so much. I have only used it twice for a total of about 20 miles. Am I doing something wrong? Wondering why I spend $3,300
Old 07-20-2018, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Lane keeping, I find, usually works great on roads with painted lines. Most roads, therefore.

But, I see little reason to use it when I have both hands on the wheel and you can use it for about 15+ seconds with your hands off the wheel. So, while it works great, it is somewhat useless because you can only use it for a few seconds. I did change mine to "early" and I find the ping-pong effect is lessened.

The future of this tech is probably great -- the present is most useful in traffic jam assist mode. I'm also not too keen on Automatic Go being 3-seconds. I think it should be a minimum of 18-seconds but would prefer 60-seconds. ACC is fantastic other than the 3-second go issue. Headlight auto high beam control is fantastic, too.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very few roads i drive have the active lane working right. i have yet to use traffic assist because i dont think it works unless it can see the lines
Old 07-20-2018, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I like ACC a lot and won't get another car w/o it, but traffic jam assist and lane keep assist are quite frankly rather garbage. The thing with the level 2 automation which traffic jam assist and lane keep assist falls into is that they are neither here nor there. They require hands on the wheels to confirm that the driver is alert and require fairly clear lane markings. I find them generally pointless. ACC on the other hand is great in traffic and long distance driving, but if I have to keep my hands on the wheel anyway I'd rather just steer myself w/o half-baked assistance. I'm personally in the camp of people who advocate for skipping level 2 altogether and go straight to at least level 3. Level 2 induces a false sense of security in many drivers and is plain annoying to other drivers like myself. All the Tesla Autopilot crashes demonstrate how people think this systems can actually drive the car w/o them having to pay attention. The error in judgment is often deadly. While I'm a car enthusiast at heart and love driving I do look forward to fully automated highway driving. The new Traffic Jam Pilot in the A8 is a great start, but we won't see it in this country for a while until legislation catches up.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I use traffic jam assist everyday on my way home from work and love it! I am always paying attention with hands on the steering wheel but it allows me to brake and go without the need to touch them through 35 miles of stop and go traffic. I have found that putting the ACC in comfort mode replicates my driving habits in traffic and prevents hard braking otherwise.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Bartlett
I use traffic jam assist everyday on my way home from work and love it! I am always paying attention with hands on the steering wheel but it allows me to brake and go without the need to touch them through 35 miles of stop and go traffic. I have found that putting the ACC in comfort mode replicates my driving habits in traffic and prevents hard braking otherwise.
This! I can't imagine not having ACC for daily commute - it makes driving bumper to bumper so much easier and stress free. Off-course level 3 would be better... but I would not have another car for daily commute without ACC.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Bartlett

That's the aspect that is great, but that's not traffic jam assist, that's just ACC. Traffic jam assist is essentially a special mode of lane keeping assist. Normally lane keep assist only uses the lane markings to keep the car in the lane, but below 45 mph or so it turns into traffic jam assist and in addition to the lane markings it uses the cars to the left and right to stay centered between them. You still have to keep hands on the steering wheel and I find that it makes unnecessary minute steering corrections. But the good news is if one turns off the lane keep assist then traffic jam assist reverts back to normal ACC and keeps you from having to constantly operate the brakes, but doesn't mess with the steering.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
That's the aspect that is great, but that's not traffic jam assist, that's just ACC. Traffic jam assist is essentially a special mode of lane keeping assist. Normally lane keep assist only uses the lane markings to keep the car in the lane, but below 45 mph or so it turns into traffic jam assist and in addition to the lane markings it uses the cars to the left and right to stay centered between them. You still have to keep hands on the steering wheel and I find that it makes unnecessary minute steering corrections. But the good news is if one turns off the lane keep assist then traffic jam assist reverts back to normal ACC and keeps you from having to constantly operate the brakes, but doesn't mess with the steering.
ahhh that make sense, thanks for the clarification.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

For me, lane assist is most useful if I need two hands to change out my sunglasses or something similar like opening a bottle of soda. Otherwise, I always have hands on the wheel.