Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Maintenance: S3 vs RS3

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance: S3 vs RS3

Hi Everyone, I'm looking to get some information on the maintenance cost difference between a (2017/2018) S3 vs an RS3 (2018) in Canada. Does the regular maintenance cost more on the RS3, if so how much more? How about other parts such as brembo brakes and rotors? I drive around 120km a day so I will eat through the km pretty fast and wonder if I should just settle with an S3, or will I have that buyers regret for not just going for the RS3.

Thank you!
Old 07-22-2018, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

RS maintenance will be higher than S3.
But no worries, if you can afford a car then maintenance is piece of nut
Old 07-22-2018, 12:33 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would guess the RS3 will cost more to maintain due its' relative rarity and the more exotic components (engine, brakes, etc.). If you can get it, buy Audi Care - prepaid maintenance for the first four years or 40K miles. In the US, the MSRP (for 2017/2018 models) is $699 for an S3, $869 for an RS3 (for an R8 it's $1,179). I have it on my S3 as I found I would breakeven after ~2-3 years.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the responses. What’s the average scheduled major maintenance costs for an S3?
Old 07-22-2018, 01:26 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

I forgot the first service 1yr/10K miles is "free" in the US, so Audi Care covers the next four service intervals (up to 5yrs/50K miles)

I would "guess" S3 maintenance at ~$250 - $350 per year for the first 4-5 years using the Audi dealer. It will get more expensive the longer you own it and I would predict worse for the RS3 due to the more exotic engine, brakes, etc.. So part of your decision is "how long are you going to own it"?

In the US, we also have Audi Care Select which covers 50K to 90K miles. The price for that is about double Audi Care per service interval ($699 for an S3 for 2yr/20K of coverage, $769 for an RS3)

2017 Audi Care & Audi Care Select | Audi library
Old 07-22-2018, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Audi care makes perfect sense then, thank you. So given the extra total cost of ownership for the RS3. Do you think it’s worth it to fork up the extra $$$ or go with an S3 instead? I’m really liking the RS3 but I don’t know if it’s worth it as I drive 120km highway driving per day.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

I have had my S3 for ten months now and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. I considered ordering an RS3 as I once owned another 5 cylinder Audi (an 84 4000 5+5 Sport) and thought it would be fun to own another one. After a fair amount of back and forth I decided that for what I was going to do with the car I was good with the S3. I recently drove an RS3 (all the major options except Dynamic Plus) - for about an hour. My impression was that it is a '"quicker" S3 with "different" exhaust note. If it matters, you can tune the S3 and get similar horsepower to the stock RS3 - and you could tune the RS3 to get even more HP. I do not regret my decision.

The RS3, as an RS car, is more exclusive - an S3 will never be as "cool" in the eyes of some. Do you care? I have not driven either on a track so cannot comment on the handling limits, which are supposedly better for the RS3. If you are going to frequently push the car's limits, I would probably go with the RS3. If not, I would guess you would be quite happy with an S3 and you will have a few more "loonies" in your pocket ;<)

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by FlorS3; 07-22-2018 at 02:48 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-22-2018, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by choodee
Audi care makes perfect sense then, thank you. So given the extra total cost of ownership for the RS3. Do you think it’s worth it to fork up the extra $$$ or go with an S3 instead? I’m really liking the RS3 but I don’t know if it’s worth it as I drive 120km highway driving per day.
Aside from the maintenance cost, you should also consider the consumables such as fuel, tires and brakes. Fatter tires cost more and the performance brake components cost more, too. If you get an RS over an S, chances are you'll drive it harder, otherwise what would be the point in getting an RS? Driving a car harder means more fuel, wear and tear such as more frequent tire and brake changes. From my perspective I can tell you that I'm spending significantly more money on maintenance for my RS5 than I did for my previous S4. Scheduled maintenance during the first 4 years is insignificant with Audi Care, but the consumables is where the money is. I've owned my B7 S4 for about 6 years and 80k miles and in that time I had to get two new sets of tires and one new set of brakes. My RS5 is now a little over 5 years and 63k miles and I'm on the 6th set of tires. Just put on a new set of Pilot Sport 4S. The tires being 275 compared to 235 on my S4 also means more money per set. Similar with the brakes. I'm on my third set of front pads and second sets of rear pads, but I only changed rotors once so far in the front. The rears are still original. Frankly, if you are worried about maintenance cost, I would say an RS is not for you and if you just commute in it and don't really drive it any harder than you would an S3, then especially. The harder you drive the more maintenance will cost you. As the saying goes, you have to pay to play.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-22-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

The maintenance should be about the same save the brake pads. Tires can add up depending on your foot.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What do you get with Audi care maintenance? I would think the first 5 years is nothing but oil changes.

Quick Reply: Maintenance: S3 vs RS3