Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

55K Inspection Work vs. New Q 7 or Atlas

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 55K Inspection Work vs. New Q 7 or Atlas

We are right at the 55K mark to have the oil/filters work done. Since it is not included in our Audi Care package I have been told to expect a bill for around $650. That is too steep for me for what they are doing.
Thinking of changing oil & filters myself to save $500 - $550.
Also thinking to trade it in within 3 months for a Q 7 or VW Atlas Premium. The Atlas sure offers a lot for the price.
Guess its time to make a change as the Q 5's warranty is just about over.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are definitely ways to save money vs. the dealer markup once you're out of AudiCare coverage by going to a reputable independent shop. There are several German car-specialty shops around me that seem to do a good job. I had one install pads and rotors that I had purchased online in my S6, and they did so perfectly, and for a fraction of the cost of what the dealer was asking. They also didn't care that I brought my own parts.

As far as the Atlas goes, I test drove one at a media event. I love the size/layout, and the look is OK (a little too square for my taste), but the interior is two steps down from a Q5 in terms of materials and thoughtful touches. It's engineered to an obvious price point, as are other recent North America VWs (specifically the Passat and Jetta). I'm also not thrilled with the old VR6 under the hood - it would be nice if they offered a more modern V6 with better power/refinement/economy. Even a well-tuned 2.0T as the base engine would probably do fine in the Atlas and improve economy results with no reduction in performance.

The Q7 is great, and I'm working on convincing my wife to swap her 2013 Toyota Sienna for one of those. If you're uncomfortable with an Audi out of warranty, it may be time to bail, but if it's this specific service visit that has you concerned, it will probably cost you many times more to replace your Q5 than even to pay the full asking price of $550 for that 55k mile service. Good luck in whatever you do!
Old 07-23-2018, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Firebird400
There are definitely ways to save money vs. the dealer markup once you're out of AudiCare coverage by going to a reputable independent shop. There are several German car-specialty shops around me that seem to do a good job. I had one install pads and rotors that I had purchased online in my S6, and they did so perfectly, and for a fraction of the cost of what the dealer was asking. They also didn't care that I brought my own parts.

As far as the Atlas goes, I test drove one at a media event. I love the size/layout, and the look is OK (a little too square for my taste), but the interior is two steps down from a Q5 in terms of materials and thoughtful touches. It's engineered to an obvious price point, as are other recent North America VWs (specifically the Passat and Jetta). I'm also not thrilled with the old VR6 under the hood - it would be nice if they offered a more modern V6 with better power/refinement/economy. Even a well-tuned 2.0T as the base engine would probably do fine in the Atlas and improve economy results with no reduction in performance.

The Q7 is great, and I'm working on convincing my wife to swap her 2013 Toyota Sienna for one of those. If you're uncomfortable with an Audi out of warranty, it may be time to bail, but if it's this specific service visit that has you concerned, it will probably cost you many times more to replace your Q5 than even to pay the full asking price of $550 for that 55k mile service. Good luck in whatever you do!
I agree. Really crappy engine choice in the Atlas for sure.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

You can save some money buying the AudiCare 55K and 65K package. I believe in maintaining Audi service because you may need Audi goodwill down the road.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I, too, was due for my 55,000 mile service. It was the first service I was paying for out of pocket, as I had AudiCare since I purchased the vehicle new nearly 4 years ago. The 55,000 mile service is a minor service. I just had my Q5 serviced at an Audi dealership in Natick, MA on 7/21/18, and the service was $295.42, including tax. I had a coupon that saved me about $45.00. This was certainly overpriced, as the service essentially consisted of an oil change, new cabin and oil filters, fuel additive, lubrication of doors and hoot latch, and multi-point inspection. The prices you were quoted seems insane unless the service includes a lot more than my dealership performed.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you have the 3.0T or 2.0T? The 3.0 55K service also recommends supercharger belt replacement (i.e great time to go stage 2 while you're in there! ) and spark plug replacement. Both of those would likely tack on ~$300
Old 07-23-2018, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ah, I see. As noted I have the 2.0, so you are correct that the 3.0 55,000 service is a bit more involved. As I get jealous of the 3.0 owners, I'll remind myself of these little cost savings with the 2.0.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Any recommendation that the supercharger belt must be changed at 55k is bogus.It should be properly inspected yes, but they can easily last 3 times that mileage.Audis don't eat belts unless there's something else going on.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Any recommendation that the supercharger belt must be changed at 55k is bogus.It should be properly inspected yes, but they can easily last 3 times that mileage.Audis don't eat belts unless there's something else going on.
Yeah the only thing I can figure on that is at Max Boost on an old-ish belt, they were thinking you might get belt slippage and then glazing(?). On a stock SQ5, OK, maybe the factory tune allows decent boost for enough time it'll matter, but on the stock 3.0T Q5? They are detuned so much I doubt it's ever possible. FWIW, at ~50k I went from Stage 1 APR to Stage 2, and the old belt looked like it'd be good for at least another 50. No cracks, glazing...nuthin
Old 07-24-2018, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
Do you have the 3.0T or 2.0T? The 3.0 55K service also recommends supercharger belt replacement (i.e great time to go stage 2 while you're in there! ) and spark plug replacement. Both of those would likely tack on ~$300
We have the 2.0 so cant understand to charges the want?