A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

B9 2.0T Engine Reliability

Old 08-11-2018, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts
Default B9 2.0T Engine Reliability

I'm likely going to be in the market for a 2019 A4/A5 or S4/S5 and am looking for feedback regarding the reliability of the 2.0T used in the B9 A4, A5, and Q5. I have a 2011 A4 that has been reliable except for excessive oil consumption, which plagued the 2.0T for several years. Since the 2017 A4 was the first vehicle released with the current iteration of the 2.0T, engine problems will most likely be encountered by A4 owners. Has anyone experienced excessive oil consumption or other engine problems? From what I have read, oil consumption problems were eliminated for the B8.5 generation and I have not seen anything to indicate that systemic problems exist in the B9 version of the engine either.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:44 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

The 2017 A4 is not the first use of the 252HP Gen. 3 EA888 engine; it was introduced on the A6 in... 2015 maybe? In the A6, at least in North America, it's paired with a torque converter automatic, not a dual-clutch transmission though...

I don't get the sense that there have been a lot of engine problems reported on this forum so far.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by VM
The 2017 A4 is not the first use of the 252HP Gen. 3 EA888 engine; it was introduced on the A6 in... 2015 maybe? In the A6, at least in North America, it's paired with a torque converter automatic, not a dual-clutch transmission though...

I don't get the sense that there have been a lot of engine problems reported on this forum so far.
You're correct; I forgot about the refreshed C7 A6 with the 2.0T, but that was a fairly low volume vehicle compared to the A4, so the sample size will be small.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure, but isn't Q5 motor from Mexico? The sedan motors are Hungarian. That would separate the sample to be smaller yet.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD15
You're correct; I forgot about the refreshed C7 A6 with the 2.0T, but that was a fairly low volume vehicle compared to the A4, so the sample size will be small.
Even though it's a smaller sample size, it might not hurt to post this on the A6 forum too. There are no doubt a fair number of 2.0T's on the road from model years '16, '17 and '18.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Timfoilhat
I'm not sure, but isn't Q5 motor from Mexico? The sedan motors are Hungarian. That would separate the sample to be smaller yet.
I disagree that this would make the sample smaller. If engine are in fact produced in Mexcico for Q5 (I don't know); the plants nowadays are EXTREMELY tech/robot heavy. I'm not sure to what degree human interaction has to do with the engine assembly, and for what human interaction there may be, it would probably be to simply place parts together that need to be fastened by robots anyways, which are all programmed to detect anomalies.

To the OP, I don't think you have to worry about the reliability of this engine. No major issues. It was already in production for a year in Europe before it got to the Americas.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by munsabin
I disagree that this would make the sample smaller. If engine are in fact produced in Mexcico for Q5 (I don't know); the plants nowadays are EXTREMELY tech/robot heavy. I'm not sure to what degree human interaction has to do with the engine assembly, and for what human interaction there may be, it would probably be to simply place parts together that need to be fastened by robots anyways, which are all programmed to detect anomalies.

To the OP, I don't think you have to worry about the reliability of this engine. No major issues. It was already in production for a year in Europe before it got to the Americas.
i don't see it as one people over another, but one set of robots/one set of people who maintain those robots who introduce variance to a statistical sample. If someone wants to know how something works that was built in a specific factory it only makes sense to give them the specific data for things built only in that factory.

That said, on paper only, I agree with your premise.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by munsabin
It was already in production for a year in Europe before it got to the Americas.
That fact alone does not reassure me, as all Audi engines are released in Europe before the US. In the case of the oil burning EA888 Gen 2, it took Audi four years and a class-action lawsuit to address the problem. However, I agree with your sentiment that the EA888 Gen 3 does appear to be more reliable.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

We have the gen 3 EA888 and its pretty reliable, the first gen on b8s were having all sorts of problems like you mentioned but at b8.5 it was all addressed. now b9 is even more refined, its also the same as q5, a6. Furthermore, basically any VAG cars that uses the 2.0T is a EA888 just paired with different turbos and trannies/drivetrain. im at 55k kms now after 1.5 years and I intend to run this car to the ground, I believe if you maintain it properly it should be nice to you
Old 08-17-2018, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
... From what I have read, oil consumption problems were eliminated for the B8.5 generation and I have not seen anything to indicate that systemic problems exist in the B9 version of the engine either.
I had a B8 that burned a quart of oil every 1,200 miles. My B9 doesn't burn a drop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: B9 2.0T Engine Reliability