A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do? - D5 reliability concerns.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
Default What to do? - D5 reliability concerns.

Hi all,

Many many years ago, I bought a B7 A4 (first car) and it was a disaster. Cam follower issues, intake valve carbon buildup issues, and I swore I would never buy an Audi again. Now, I'm in the market for a flagship vehicle, and I dislike the S class, the LS500, and the D5 A8 does fancy my eye. It looks beautiful and here I am researching everything, but my gut tells me to be careful here due to all of the new tech in the A8 and my experience in the past.

So I thought I'd ask folks here. What are you guys thinking about reliability with the D5?
Old 08-14-2018, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, I had a 2011, the first D4, sold it at 72k miles and had very few issues. The only thing I couldn't solve was the frequent false positives of the blind spot detector. Other than that, it was common for them to have a transmission electrical connector seal failure that would weep fluid up into the control module that ended up getting recalled. I would not worry about the D5, they have spent a lot of time developing this one.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's only the first year in the US. It's been released in Europe, so technically you are not getting a first year car.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by PhillyVance
It's only the first year in the US. It's been released in Europe, so technically you are not getting a first year car.
Good to know. When was it released in Europe anyways?
Old 08-15-2018, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by PhillyVance
I am glad you asked without running a search and just off the top of my head Germany introduced the D5 with the 2017 A8 but the US had the D4 body style. I Definitely know that Euro 2018's last September or October had the D5. These are the cars that everyones reviewing on YouTube.
Thanks. I'll just take your guess as fact because for the life of me I cannot figure out the launch date in Europe. That said your logic makes perfect sense to me. My intent is to drive it once it comes to my local dealership at the end of September, and if I really can't wait (kid in candy store), then I'll buy it. I will try to hold off for a year though (try being the key word)

My concern is actually more intense with the A8. This is also the first time they are using that many different types of materials in the body shell, and I'm immediately thinking of potential rust concerns (serious issue where I live) and/or squeaking noises/torsional rigidity issues etc. This could all be unwarranted but I hate dealerships and I hate wasting time. So we will see!
Old 08-15-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Here's another thing to think about. This is the first flagship since dieselgate and cost cutting.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/volkswa...ing-1519405529
Old 08-15-2018, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Also https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKBN1AF0UB
Old 08-21-2018, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Hi all,

Many many years ago, I bought a B7 A4 (first car) and it was a disaster. Cam follower issues, intake valve carbon buildup issues, and I swore I would never buy an Audi again. Now, I'm in the market for a flagship vehicle, and I dislike the S class, the LS500, and the D5 A8 does fancy my eye. It looks beautiful and here I am researching everything, but my gut tells me to be careful here due to all of the new tech in the A8 and my experience in the past.

So I thought I'd ask folks here. What are you guys thinking about reliability with the D5?
go for it. The warranty should cover any potential issues anyway. The new Audi’s are generally pretty good.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ojwhittington

go for it. The warranty should cover any potential issues anyway. The new Audi’s are generally pretty good.
Thinking about it. To someone else's point upthread, the D5 has been out in Europe, but I don't see any active forum where D5 participants in Europe are talking about the initial issues of this car. Does anyone know where I can take a perusal?
Old 08-23-2018, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ojwhittington

I agree. I ordered a D5 just over one month ago and it's due to arrive at my dealer in early November. With the delayed launch for North America but with plenty of D5's on the road in other parts of the world, I'm of the opinion that they will have worked out any major issues by the time my car is being built. My dealer's service staff is quite talented as well and can handle any minor, lingering issues.

Quick Reply: What to do? - D5 reliability concerns.