Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Help with little annoyances

Old 08-14-2018, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with little annoyances

I am about to buy a (new to me) Q5 MKII. The dealer gave me a loaner for 2 days while mine is being prepped/certified. There are a couple of minor annoyances that I'd love to know how to change/fix/configure:
  1. Virtual Cockpit - any way to change the color of the car in the VC display? I have a Moonlight blue, but the display shows a white Audi.
  2. Default Radio to "Presets" - When I turn the car on, the Radio seems to always default to Radio - FM. I prefer drive with it on Radio - Presets. Is there a way to cause my car to remember to start with the Radio on Presets, or do I need to go change that each time?
  3. Park sensors - any way to cause the car to turn on the front park sensors when I am moving at slow speeds. When I pull into my garage, I need to turn them on each time. My Mercedes used to figure it out, can the Audi do the same?
  4. Auto Start/Stop - I'd love for this to be off by default. I've seen some threads on coding, so assume there isn't a standard Audi-me configuration. Is there a definitive "best approach"?
This is an amazing car, and the answers won't cause me to not buy it. But they are a bit annoying! (and apologies, I may have more questions like this in my first couple of days).
Old 08-14-2018, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

My annoyance is that the MMI **** turns counterintuitive. In the USA turning the **** right should move you up, but it moves you down. On the smaller radio volume, turning it right turns the volume up
Old 08-14-2018, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Oh, and two questions on the touch-pad:

5. Touch-pad: What is the trick to enter the number "1"? It keeps wanting to call it an i or an L...
6. Touch-pad: Love this interface. Is there a way to use the touch-pad to scroll through menus (drag up or down, swipe left/right, etc.)? I would love to be able to do this vs. going to the rotary dial in many cases.

Thanks again!
Old 08-14-2018, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 388 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Neeraj Gupta

5. Touch-pad: What is the trick to enter the number "1"? It keeps wanting to call it an i or an L...
6. Touch-pad: Love this interface. Is there a way to use the touch-pad to scroll through menus (drag up or down, swipe left/right, etc.)? I would love to be able to do this vs. going to the rotary dial in many cases.

Thanks again!
5) Begin the one with a small swoop from left to right at the top before the down stroke.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My park sensors come on automatically at low speeds when it recognizes something close. Sometimes takes a moment though, go slower.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks augerpro and spindlewood.

#3 - Lol. I will go slower
#5 - still struggling, but I can get a "1" about 50% of the time.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am about to buy a (new to me) Q5 MKII. The dealer gave me a loaner for 2 days while mine is being prepped/certified. There are a couple of minor annoyances that I'd love to know how to change/fix/configure:
  1. Virtual Cockpit - any way to change the color of the car in the VC display? I have a Moonlight blue, but the display shows a white Audi.
  2. Default Radio to "Presets" - When I turn the car on, the Radio seems to always default to Radio - FM. I prefer drive with it on Radio - Presets. Is there a way to cause my car to remember to start with the Radio on Presets, or do I need to go change that each time?
  3. Park sensors - any way to cause the car to turn on the front park sensors when I am moving at slow speeds. When I pull into my garage, I need to turn them on each time. My Mercedes used to figure it out, can the Audi do the same?
  4. Auto Start/Stop - I'd love for this to be off by default. I've seen some threads on coding, so assume there isn't a standard Audi-me configuration. Is there a definitive "best approach"?
This is an amazing car, and the answers won't cause me to not buy it. But they are a bit annoying! (and apologies, I may have more questions like this in my first couple of days).
My radio stays on presets. In fact I just went out and started it up to verify. I’ve read this same complaint several times on here. I don’t know how to tell you to change it, but apparently it CAN be done. I keep my presets up on the “iPad” screen, nav on virtual cockpit. When I start the engine it’s on the preset it was on when I stopped the car last and the preset screen is what shows up. I even stopped the car with phone pulled up on the screen in order to test it, and when I started it back up it was back on presets. You might ask the technology person when they deliver your car to you? Mine went through almost every setting with me.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can turn off the parking assist in the MMI so it never turns on automatically unless you press the button to enable it each time.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

You might be able to pan the nav map with the pad, but it does pretty much nothing but a crude method to enter text/numbers. I find either using voice recognition, or the MMI **** 10x faster than this "Palm Pilot" way.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wires
You might be able to pan the nav map with the pad, but it does pretty much nothing but a crude method to enter text/numbers. I find either using voice recognition, or the MMI **** 10x faster than this "Palm Pilot" way.
The only useful thing I've found (and this *is* genuinely useful) about the scribble pad is the line of pre-settable numbers at the top. Yea, old style radio station buttons! Otherwise, it is a waste of precious real estate that could have been used for better storage options.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with little annoyances