Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Voice navigation is disgraceful

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Voice navigation is disgraceful

I have 17k miles on my '18 SB and have tried very hard to use the voice commands for the Nav system. I give up .It simply doesn't work worth a tinker's damn. I have spoken to the dealer several times and they give me their wry smile and a pat on the head but I can never get it to work properly. When I use it, it reminds me of a comedy sketch where the driver goes nuts because everything that I ask for is misunderstood to the extreme. I have moved on to using CarPlay and asking Siri for directions. That works but I should need a work around for the car's Nav system.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JKBMaryland
I have 17k miles on my '18 SB and have tried very hard to use the voice commands for the Nav system. I give up .It simply doesn't work worth a tinker's damn. I have spoken to the dealer several times and they give me their wry smile and a pat on the head but I can never get it to work properly. When I use it, it reminds me of a comedy sketch where the driver goes nuts because everything that I ask for is misunderstood to the extreme. I have moved on to using CarPlay and asking Siri for directions. That works but I should need a work around for the car's Nav system.
At least Carplay works for you. Apple has probably invested billions more into their speech recognition software than Audi (or whatever 3rd party might be involved.) With that said, I even find Siri difficult to use at best. Just the other day, was sending a text via Siri - "how did your conference call go today", and she read back - "how about John Katherine Scott". Pretty much the usual interaction between siri and I.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

It's pretty bad man. 50% reliable at understanding commands on the best day. It is super discouraging to own a $65000+ MY2018 luxury car that works so poorly in this department, and then hear that Audi has invested heavily in the tech and presumably dumped tons of R&D time into making even more stuff voice-compatible for the MY2019 A7 for example using "natural language" features.

Supposedly you will, in the forthcoming generation of Audi cars, be able to say things like "I'm cold" and the car will adjust temps to fix that, but based on the [non-]efficacy of the current B9 it just sounds like a recipe for disaster. I predict we will say "navigate me to Walgreens" and the next car will misunderstand you completely as per usual, and open the damn sunroof in the middle of a downpour.)

I really wish Audi would just license their voice technology from Apple or Amazon or anyone else who is already very very good at it.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

First of all, did you used the word tinker's damn? The navi do not understand talks like that
Did you try using the voice training program, also try to talk into the mic on the overhead console and no need to scream.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JKBMaryland
+1
Old 08-20-2018, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Same here, tried it a few times and just gave up. The hand-writing recognition works OK but I wish you can skip to the next character faster without haven't to wait. It just takes forever to input anything in there.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more
At least Carplay works for you. Apple has probably invested billions more into their speech recognition software than Audi (or whatever 3rd party might be involved.) With that said, I even find Siri difficult to use at best. Just the other day, was sending a text via Siri - "how did your conference call go today", and she read back - "how about John Katherine Scott". Pretty much the usual interaction between siri and I.
I also struggle with voice texting. My friends just laugh at me. It does work well for navigation.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by luder888
Same here, tried it a few times and just gave up. The hand-writing recognition works OK but I wish you can skip to the next character faster without haven't to wait. It just takes forever to input anything in there.
If I have an extra hour before I want to leave I can use the hand writing technique, but why would I?
Old 08-20-2018, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
First of all, did you used the word tinker's damn? The navi do not understand talks like that
Did you try using the voice training program, also try to talk into the mic on the overhead console and no need to scream.
Yes I said it and I will soon be telling those kids to get off my lawn. I have tried the voice training program but I still sound the same. I also tried to speak slowly and loudly like when I travel abroad but to no avail.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

What specific commands are you using that aren't working? Are you doing it while stationary or while driving on potentially a noisy road? Also, are you in your car by yourself or is somebody with you and are they talking? Generally, I don't have issues with the Audi voice recognition. I don't actually use it all that often as most of the time I plan my destinations in advance and just send them to the car from my phone. I occasionally use the Google search command to navigate to an unplanned destination and the success rate is probably around 98%. Other than Google search, don't try to use POI commands with the MMI. The internal database is severely outdated and it's not very straight forward to navigate to a place by name unless you use the Google search command. If I have somebody in the car, I don't even try to use voice commands unless they are quiet. Most voice systems get confused if somebody else is talking at the same time. Google is the first who claims their latest technology can pick a single person out of a crowed, but I haven't tried it yet.

Apple didn't develop Siri. They acquired a company. Sure they added to it and improved it over time, but as mentioned above, more complex voice interactions such as trying to text are often futile. I have yet to use a system that understands me every time. It just doesn't exist. Short interactions generally work ok. Directions work ok, unless the name of the street sounds foreign or the business name sounds foreign. Google does a better job at guessing based on its database, but honestly I find myself repeating the commands often and then have to resort to typing because neither Siri nor Google gets what I'm looking for.

I've also noticed that some people talk like a machine when they use voice commands, which often doesn't work. Speak naturally and at the same volume that you speak to a person who isn't deaf. Raising the volume of your voice or even yelling generally doesn't work. If your car interior is noisy then the background noise will interfere. I'm generally impressed how well it works despite road noise in most cars I've driven, but for example in the R8 it's useless to try using voice command while driving. The engine and exhaust are too loud, but in most other Audi's it works pretty well unless there is a lot of road noise. Some road surfaces in the USA generate a lot of noise. Not sure where you live, but I used to travel to Texas a lot for example and the way they surfaces their highways generates a lot of noise while driving. Here in CA they use normal asphalt and especially all the roads that have been resurfaced recently are very quiet now. The older concrete roads are much louder.

Quick Reply: Voice navigation is disgraceful