A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

How to upgrade 2014 A4 Rear View Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to upgrade 2014 A4 Rear View Mirror

I would like to upgrade the mirror on my 2014 A4 Premium to the auto dim plus compass one. I found a link where this was done (see below) but when I took my existing mirror off I found that I do not have any power connections to my mirror, just to the rain sensor for the wipers. Does anyone know if I can upgrade to the new mirror?

Picture of windshield without the mirror:

https://imgur.com/a/SLTDo2X

Link with instructions for this upgrade:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...mming-2893063/

Old 08-21-2018, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,585 Posts

The guy in the video has a 2010 with three zone climate but without the auto dimming mirror, making it a Premium Plus. So the original mirror likely contains the humidity sensor, thus why it needed power.
From the erwin wiring diagrams, it appears there was a basic auto dimming mirror with no humidity sensor that used a 6-pin connector, then two models with the humidity sensor that used a 8-pin connector. So while his wasn't auto dimming, it had the humidity sensor and so still an 8-pin connector, it would seem.

Yours though is a B8.5. Seems it uses a combination of 3-pin and 8-pin connectors. The 3-pin runs the humidity sensor, and the 8-pin is only there if there's the auto dimming mirror. If you have neither function, such as likely in a Premium model, then there will be no need for wires to the mirror. So you likely won't have any.

But if you could get the 8-pin plug and wire up power to pin 1 and ground to pin 2, you might see if it works. There's also a connection to the interior lamp on pin 6 and a connection to the J393 comfort control module and the left tail lamp 2 on pin 3. I'm guessing those are for providing the mirror additional information for when such light sources are active.

Wiring also shows that for a B8.5 with start/stop system, there's actually a fuse and a relay that power the mirror. Seems like a lot. But you will need to find a switched 12v source to tap off of, and should fuse it (5A) anyway. But my docs are for my 2009, so they only go through about mid 2012. Could be more changes happened for 2014 MY as well. You'd need the wiring docs for 2014 to be sure.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You need to route the cable from the mirror to the overhead lighting and connect it there.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I found this about the compass mirror and which cable you need,
https://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/oem-p...r-compass-audi

So do you also have the humidity sensor? If so, you can't install this.

There is also this one but without the compass,
https://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/auto-...-retrofit-audi
Old 08-21-2018, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SMac770
The guy in the video has a 2010 with three zone climate but without the auto dimming mirror, making it a Premium Plus. So the original mirror likely contains the humidity sensor, thus why it needed power.
From the erwin wiring diagrams, it appears there was a basic auto dimming mirror with no humidity sensor that used a 6-pin connector, then two models with the humidity sensor that used a 8-pin connector. So while his wasn't auto dimming, it had the humidity sensor and so still an 8-pin connector, it would seem.

Yours though is a B8.5. Seems it uses a combination of 3-pin and 8-pin connectors. The 3-pin runs the humidity sensor, and the 8-pin is only there if there's the auto dimming mirror. If you have neither function, such as likely in a Premium model, then there will be no need for wires to the mirror. So you likely won't have any.

But if you could get the 8-pin plug and wire up power to pin 1 and ground to pin 2, you might see if it works. There's also a connection to the interior lamp on pin 6 and a connection to the J393 comfort control module and the left tail lamp 2 on pin 3. I'm guessing those are for providing the mirror additional information for when such light sources are active.

Wiring also shows that for a B8.5 with start/stop system, there's actually a fuse and a relay that power the mirror. Seems like a lot. But you will need to find a switched 12v source to tap off of, and should fuse it (5A) anyway. But my docs are for my 2009, so they only go through about mid 2012. Could be more changes happened for 2014 MY as well. You'd need the wiring docs for 2014 to be sure.

Thank you very much for the thorough answer. This is a more complicated project than what I thought I had to do based on the video from the 2010 A4. I greatly appreciate the detailed information.