Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Sport mode vs. "Drive Select Engine/Trans = "Dynamic"

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport mode vs. "Drive Select Engine/Trans = "Dynamic"

When I put the transmission into "S", how does that differ from using the Engine/Trans "Dynamic" (and/or Steering = "Dynamic") selections?

Or is "S" just short hand for choosing Drive Select = "Dynamic," which ostensibly sets both Engine/Trans and Steering to "Dynamic."

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2018, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

In the Q5, without any adaptive suspension, there is no difference between shifter in S and drive select in dynamic... the only thing that could possibly be different is traction control but I dont know of that feature if its there.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Drive Select Dynamic sets the transmission to S, engine to Dynamic, Steering to Dynamic, Suspension to Dynamic and anything else the car is equipped with to Dynamic. S by itself only sets the engine to Dynamic and the transmission itself obviously, but everything else such as Steering stays in the current Drive Select mode. So in other words S = Dynamic for engine/transmission only. This also means that if you put Drive Select in Dynamic, but then put the transmission in D, the engine goes back to Comfort/Auto, so basically the transmission mode takes precedence over the Drive Select mode as far as engine and transmission are concerned. It should also be said that there are two manual modes, M and M Sport. The latter is engaged if you first put the transmission in S and then M.

BTW, there are several other threads on this forum already that answer this exact question. They should have come up with a search.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-21-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks - did did search this forum and found a few discussions that are SQ5 related, but it is clear there are differences with the Q5. I did not see anything that was Q5 (not "S") in nature. Sorry if I missed them, feel free and direct me to another thread if this one is not appropriate.

What it seems to me, based on what I have read and "feel":
  • Drive Select: Dynamic - in some cars this actually changes the setting to "S" in the display. It does not in mine.
  • Selecting "S": Dynamic for engine/trans ("E/T") ONLY go to Dynamic
  • Selecting "S" then change Drive Select Comfort: "E/T" stays in Dynamic
  • Drive Select Dynamic, then shifting to "D". E/T stays in Dynamic
  • Drive Select Comfort, then shifting to "S". E/T goes to Dynamic
Given these, my conclusion is that the "S" mode is only for Engine/Trans is a basic "OR" function.
  • Your car will be in E/T dynamic if either or both: (i) you are in "S" or (ii) Drive Select E/T Dynamic
  • Your car will be in E/T comfort only if you aren in "D" and Drive Select E/T Comfort.
Does anybody else have different conclusions or experiences on Q5 (not SQ5)?

Originally Posted by superswiss
Drive Select Dynamic sets the transmission to S, engine to Dynamic, Steering to Dynamic, Suspension to Dynamic and anything else the car is equipped with to Dynamic. S by itself only sets the engine to Dynamic and the transmission itself obviously, but everything else such as Steering stays in the current Drive Select mode. So in other words S = Dynamic for engine/transmission only. This also means that if you put Drive Select in Dynamic, but then put the transmission in D, the engine goes back to Comfort/Auto, so basically the transmission mode takes precedence over the Drive Select mode as far as engine and transmission are concerned. It should also be said that there are two manual modes, M and M Sport. The latter is engaged if you first put the transmission in S and then M.

BTW, there are several other threads on this forum already that answer this exact question. They should have come up with a search.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by thegoop
Thanks - did did search this forum and found a few discussions that are SQ5 related, but it is clear there are differences with the Q5. I did not see anything that was Q5 (not "S") in nature. Sorry if I missed them, feel free and direct me to another thread if this one is not appropriate.

What it seems to me, based on what I have read and "feel":
  • Drive Select: Dynamic - in some cars this actually changes the setting to "S" in the display. It does not in mine.
  • Selecting "S": Dynamic for engine/trans ("E/T") ONLY go to Dynamic
  • Selecting "S" then change Drive Select Comfort: "E/T" stays in Dynamic
  • Drive Select Dynamic, then shifting to "D". E/T stays in Dynamic
  • Drive Select Comfort, then shifting to "S". E/T goes to Dynamic
Given these, my conclusion is that the "S" mode is only for Engine/Trans is a basic "OR" function.
  • Your car will be in E/T dynamic if either or both: (i) you are in "S" or (ii) Drive Select E/T Dynamic
  • Your car will be in E/T comfort only if you aren in "D" and Drive Select E/T Comfort.
Does anybody else have different conclusions or experiences on Q5 (not SQ5)?
That doesn't look right. There was somebody else recently who claimed their transmission doesn't change to S when selecting Dynamic, but I believe that eventually turned out that the person was confused. I've yet to drive an Audi from a lowly A3 to the R8 where if you change to Dynamic the transmission doesn't automatically change to S. So if your Drive Select is currently in Comfort or Auto, the engine is running, transmission in D and now you select Dynamic the transmission should automatically change to S. If you then select Comfort or Auto again it should change back to D. However, if your Drive Select is currently Dynamic and the transmission in S and you turn off the engine and then turn it back on, Drive Select will still be in Dynamic, but the transmission now reverted back to D. This is due to regulations that require cars to start in the mode that yields the rated fuel economy.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
In the Q5, without any adaptive suspension, there is no difference between shifter in S and drive select in dynamic... the only thing that could possibly be different is traction control but I dont know of that feature if its there.
In Dynamic mode, the steering also becomes heavier along with the transmission in S automatically. In sport mode, only transmission map changes. Steering feel doesn’t. Steering feel depends on drive select.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ

In Dynamic mode, the steering also becomes heavier along with the transmission in S automatically. In sport mode, only transmission map changes. Steering feel doesn’t. Steering feel depends on drive select.
Cool, I did not know steering weight was variable in the Q5.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
Cool, I did not know steering weight was variable in the Q5.
Only on the SQ5 with dynamic steering
The following users liked this post:
Slices_of_time (07-05-2020)
Old 08-22-2018, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by KaDeTime
Only on the SQ5 with dynamic steering
Not true. Steering weight is variable as standard on all cars. Dynamic steering also makes the steering ratio variable in Comfort and Auto mode. In Dynamic mode it uses a fixed direct ratio.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Not true. Steering weight is variable as standard on all cars. Dynamic steering also makes the steering ratio variable in Comfort and Auto mode. In Dynamic mode it uses a fixed direct ratio.
Interesting, I was told that only units with dynamic steering change the steering input per drive select do you have a q5 user manual that stated differently no offense but based only on ur signature you don’t own a q5 or Sq5 or am I wrong?

from Audi website that explains dynamic drive select

2018 Audi Q5 Engineering | Audi Q5 | Audi USA

Last edited by KaDeTime; 08-22-2018 at 02:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Sport mode vs. "Drive Select Engine/Trans = "Dynamic"