S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Mishimoto B9 S4/S5 Catch Can R&D Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mishimoto B9 S4/S5 Catch Can R&D Thread

Hello AudiWorld!

Nick here from Mishimoto! I'm starting this thread today to let you guys know that we are embarking on an engineering journey to create a direct fit catch can kit for the B9 S4 and S5. We just got our very green loaner in the shop yesterday and Jason was eager to get started!

I'll be sure to keep you guys posted on the progress. Also, feel free to shoot me any questions, comments or concerns you might have!

Thanks,
-Nick
Old 08-30-2018, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Hate to break it to you guys but the B9 S4/S5 already has an oil catch can/fine oil separation+recovery mechanism right from the factory. See pages 20/21 of this doument: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/vi...5/ssp655-wg-en

Would certainly welcome clarification if I am missing something, but it seems to me that there is zero benefit to bypassing the factory system, and no need for an aftermarket oil catch can on this engine.

Wouldn't mind seeing more pics of that car though...that is a serious green.

Last edited by mplsbrian; 08-30-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Hate to break it to you guys but the B9 S4/S5 already has an oil catch can/fine oil separation+recovery mechanism right from the factory. See pages 20/21 of this doument: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/vi...5/ssp655-wg-en

Would certainly welcome clarification if I am missing something, but it seems to me that there is zero benefit to bypassing the factory system, and no need for an aftermarket oil catch can on this engine.

Yup we're aware of the factory AOS built into these cars! I was going to save all of this for the first blog post, but I can share some extra info with you now!

We actually ran into these a few other time in previous catch can projects including the MK7 Golf/GTI and the BMW N55 kits. On the MK7 we originally didn't catch anything, however, we did recently have a Golf R in the shop for intercooler pipe testing, and this is what we found after swapping our piping off for the stock equipment:

We actually saw some oil on the return line of the PCV lines on our loaner too:

We weren't able to leave a can on this car to run our full test, but we do have another one coming in soon to see what all we catch after 1000 miles. At this point it could go the same way as our previous MK7 testing, but we're confident that we'll be able to catch some of the murky stuff on the first test.

I'll definitely have some more photos of this beast though! I made sure to get plenty in the short time it was here

More to come soon!

-Nick
Old 09-03-2018, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian

Begs the question: is this reservoir getting sucked-out aong with the oil sump during the OCI???

They didn't clean my air filter at the 10k, I have serious doubts this would be part of the servicing at the dealership.

Is this thing accessible? I'd like to see how much of the 1 quart of (extra) oil I dumped in the engine found it's way there.

gr
Old 09-03-2018, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider990
Begs the question: is this reservoir getting sucked-out aong with the oil sump during the OCI???

They didn't clean my air filter at the 10k, I have serious doubts this would be part of the servicing at the dealership.

Is this thing accessible? I'd like to see how much of the 1 quart of (extra) oil I dumped in the engine found it's way there.

gr
I'm not entirely sure if you understand the point of this built in oil separator. The reason behind this is to reduce the amount of oil that is in the blowby gasses that then get combusted again (and thus crap all over our intake valves). The oil that is separated by this separator simply goes back to the oil sump, where it should be, and thus, yes, gets changed out during an oil change.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Youre right, I didn't look hard enough at the schematic to ascertain that feature -- it's a proper recycling system, rather than the "old school" style that simply catches the oil in a reservoir (catch-can) and is later emptied. Hence my confusion.

Thanks for the clarification. I like this better -- although, it seems to put a bandaid on a prevalent problem, not solve it.

gr
Old 09-04-2018, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider990
Youre right, I didn't look hard enough at the schematic to ascertain that feature -- it's a proper recycling system, rather than the "old school" style that simply catches the oil in a reservoir (catch-can) and is later emptied. Hence my confusion.

Thanks for the clarification. I like this better -- although, it seems to put a bandaid on a prevalent problem, not solve it.

gr
Actually I would argue that it's the other way here. A traditional catch can is a band aid situation. Issues of fuel dilution caused by blowby gases which are caught by aftermarket catch cans and the like should not be happening in the first place. all a matter of perspective
Old 09-12-2018, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I wanna know is what color that Audi is
Old 09-12-2018, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Meme Yo Girl
What I wanna know is what color that Audi is
It's some factory special code from Porsche. "Yellow Green" lol

The car is here (It's amazing):
Old 09-26-2018, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to bump this up again, and also let you know that we're on the hunt for another S4/5 to perform our mileage testing on, since the Green Machine was on loan from a local dealership. If you happen to be in the DE/MD/NJ/PA area and are interested in donating your Audi, drop me a PM!

-Nick

Quick Reply: Mishimoto B9 S4/S5 Catch Can R&D Thread