Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Etron e-mail

Old 09-03-2018, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Etron e-mail

already got an e-mail

maybe in 5 years if they offer a5 Etron sportback I will get one
Old 09-03-2018, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Audi is now, after decades, finally doing aggressive marketing. Unfortunately its for a car that likely few here in the forum will embrace. The car enthusiast scene I imagine is not big on golf carts.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Well we shall see what happens but I think Audi will be a leader and have better quality than Tesla
Old 09-07-2018, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

The range still isn't there for pure/sole EV propulsion. Audis are already super heavy too....unless they plan to really cut down on weight somehow (and likely de-feature them). EVs are still a niche/gimmicky market...not ready for mass-adoption. Nowhere NEAR ready, actually....especially for anyone living just outside the confines of a large urban area.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems to be different in other markets.
Almost 40% of all new car sales in 2018 is fully electric cars, in Norway.
And, no one will call Norway an urban country :-)
Old 09-08-2018, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by emacS5
The range still isn't there for pure/sole EV propulsion. Audis are already super heavy too....unless they plan to really cut down on weight somehow (and likely de-feature them). EVs are still a niche/gimmicky market...not ready for mass-adoption. Nowhere NEAR ready, actually....especially for anyone living just outside the confines of a large urban area.
Have you walked into a Tesla showroom lately?
EV’s are gaining. Our Tesla X has been a most spectacular automobile like techno transporter.
Zero mainrenance, zero issues, zero fuel, zero pollution. Keeps up with my 911 T in silence.
Tesla is definitely leaps ahead of all others in this field, but eventually everyone will have great EV’s.
For now the only other serious player taking development seriously is Porsche with the Taycan.
The future is going to be very exciting for personal transportation.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SQ5.TO

Have you walked into a Tesla showroom lately?
EV’s are gaining. Our Tesla X has been a most spectacular automobile like techno transporter.
Zero mainrenance, zero issues, zero fuel, zero pollution. Keeps up with my 911 T in silence.
Tesla is definitely leaps ahead of all others in this field, but eventually everyone will have great EV’s.
For now the only other serious player taking development seriously is Porsche with the Taycan.
The future is going to be very exciting for personal transportation.
Tesla is imploding. I recommend you short the stock.

Popular <> viability. You can't state there's zero pollution, because most EVs run on fossil fuels. Its just that the burning of fossil fuels is further up the generation chain, so EV owners can feel better about themselves without having to see the dinosaurs burn.

And in the US at least, the electric grid is nowhere near ready for EV mass adoption. Its still a micro-niche market for people with excess disposable income. And EVs wouldn't be anywhere near where they are currently in number without taxpayers paying for their neighbors coal-burners (via tax subsidy).

Old 09-09-2018, 01:06 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Indeed - as you say the pollution is at the power plant (assuming it is coal powered). If hydropower is the source, that has its own environmental issues. Nuclear is the cleanest, but many oppose its use. If the car us using photovoltaic cells, that getting pretty close to zero emissions for power, but it's FAR from being practical to keep a vehicle running.

Then there is the the problem with lithium extraction and the four company monopoly that controls 85% of the market. But as battery technology evolves, perhaps some of those problems can be over come - eventually.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:22 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,377 Posts

You forgot the inherent danger of fire / explosions of the Lithium Ion batteries themselves as well as what do you do with the spent LiOn packs?

This is exactly the reason I passed on the NSX last year — as well as when the price climbed to over $200,000.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

[/left]
You better be prepared for watch Volvo change the EV market in a big way, way more than Porsche ever will. Volvo tech is pretty much class-leading, and they have unlimited resources to spend to develop from China.

Have I been to a Tesla dealership late? Nope, because they are hundreds of miles away from. Outside of major cities Tesla isn't even a consideration. And as others pointed out, they pollute in a different way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Etron e-mail