Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Headlight - Left Dipped Headlight/Main Beam Headlight

Old 09-10-2018, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Headlight - Left Dipped Headlight/Main Beam Headlight

Hi -

I have a 2012 Q5 2.0T. My Left Dipped Headlight/Main Beam Headlight warning light just came on. Sometimes my headlight is on and sometimes it goes off (while the right one stays on). I called the dealer and they said it would cost $300 to replace the headlight...$200 for the Xenon headlight and $100 for labor. Seems very high to me (I had my right one replaced last year). Few questions...

- Does it look like the headlight needs to be replaced given that sometime it is on and sometimes it is off (it does not get yellowish)? Could it be a fuse?
- I looked at the how-to section to replace it myself and it seems like I can do it...question is where do I get the bulb. I called Audi and they sell them for $200. Is that crazy or is that normal? Can anyone recommend another place to get the bulb (NAPA, online, Autozone, etc.)?

Any help/suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Old 09-10-2018, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I've never changed the bulb on our Q5, have no idea what's involved. It's a D3S bulb. I see them very cheap on eBay. I'd probably buy the Philips bulb from rockauto or ECS Tuning, etc. I would likely replace both bulbs.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroget
Hi -

I have a 2012 Q5 2.0T. My Left Dipped Headlight/Main Beam Headlight warning light just came on. Sometimes my headlight is on and sometimes it goes off (while the right one stays on). I called the dealer and they said it would cost $300 to replace the headlight...$200 for the Xenon headlight and $100 for labor. Seems very high to me (I had my right one replaced last year). Few questions...

- Does it look like the headlight needs to be replaced given that sometime it is on and sometimes it is off (it does not get yellowish)? Could it be a fuse?
- I looked at the how-to section to replace it myself and it seems like I can do it...question is where do I get the bulb. I called Audi and they sell them for $200. Is that crazy or is that normal? Can anyone recommend another place to get the bulb (NAPA, online, Autozone, etc.)?

Any help/suggestions would be great.

Thanks!
I could also be light control module (one each side), the best thing to do is swap bulbs and see if the bad one still stays bad, or the good one goes bad, after the swap. If the bad bulb gets good, and the good goes bad, then suspect the control module on the bad side

The swap control modules to determine if it is a module or something else.

As uberwgn stated change both bulbs at the same time, as if you only change the one bulb, the light output intensity and color could be different between bulbs. That just depends if you are picky about that.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the response. I will try the bulb first...seems like the light control module is quite expensive. I had my right bulb changed and didn't notice a difference. Question - Phillips or Sylvania? Seems like the Phillips is cheaper.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Stroget
Thanks for the response. I will try the bulb first...seems like the light control module is quite expensive. I had my right bulb changed and didn't notice a difference. Question - Phillips or Sylvania? Seems like the Phillips is cheaper.
When I say "swap" I mean your current right and left bulbs. If you have a bad module then you will waste the cash on the bulb(s). Swapping bulbs will solve the guessing.

If you by "one" non-Audi bulb, you need to match the light output color temperature of your current good bulb, 4300K, 6000K, 8000K, etc., better to buy a new pair to get a good match.

Most likely it is the bulb, but this is an Audi and you never know...........
Old 09-10-2018, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
When I say "swap" I mean your current right and left bulbs. If you have a bad module then you will waste the cash on the bulb(s). Swapping bulbs will solve the guessing.

If you by "one" non-Audi bulb, you need to match the light output color temperature of your current good bulb, 4300K, 6000K, 8000K, etc., better to buy a new pair to get a good match.

Most likely it is the bulb, but this is an Audi and you never know...........
This ^^^
I had to replace my left bulb a while ago and mechanic suggested the very same approach, 1st swap bulbs, discard the burnt one, buy a new set and keep the "old" working one as a spare for an emergency.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you everyone for relying. I went to another mechanic and they also quoted me $300. So - I took the advice I received here - bought a Philips D3S bulb from Tire Rack (free next day delivery) for $66 and installed it in 15 minutes. Piece of cake and works great. Make sure that you wear rubber gloves if you do it. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Stroget. In addition to a 2017 Q5 also have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland with Xenon HID lighting and my passenger bulb was dim, off color, would sometimes flicker or even shut off completely. After reading Jeep Garage forum posts determined it was likely the bulb which it turns out is also a D3S. I went to www.xenondepot.com and searched options by vehicle. The original bulbs were 4300K which is I understand a whiteness rating and there were various whiteness ratings, prices and manufacturers to choose from. I chose to upgrade to 6000K which came in pairs for $202.49. I replaced both yesterday and kept the working old one as an emergency spare though I'm inclined to always replace them in pairs just to be safe and to keep the colors consistent. It took about an hour and I also went through several pairs of Nitrile gloves due to tight access ripping them up but agree it's worth doing yourself if you can.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The error message is indicating the bulb is out. The most likely issue is your bulb is no longer working and needs to be replaced, but HID bulbs should always be changed in pairs. Nobody here can predict the future for you so just buy bulbs and see what happens. Try pulling both oem bulbs and see if the one that is out looks different.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by billm0066
The error message is indicating the bulb is out. The most likely issue is your bulb is no longer working and needs to be replaced, but HID bulbs should always be changed in pairs. Nobody here can predict the future for you so just buy bulbs and see what happens. Try pulling both oem bulbs and see if the one that is out looks different.
He fixed 3 months ago with a new bulb, read the above message #7...………...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q5 Headlight - Left Dipped Headlight/Main Beam Headlight