A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Apple iOS 12 and CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Apple iOS 12 and CarPlay

Perhaps lost in all the recent announcements from Apple was the news that the iOS 12 "Golden Master" to developers and public beta testers. Anyone want to comment on how CarPlay in this version (which is very likely the final release version) works on Audis. Of course, I am particularly interested in iOS 12's behavior in 2017 A4s and 2018 Allroads . Certain apps such as Waze may still not work properly (they may not have released an update that plays well with iOS 12), but I am hoping there aren't any problems with CarPlay like we had with 11.2...

UPDATE: iOS 12 has now been released. At this time not all apps have been updated to work properly with iOS 12 and CarPlay.

UPDATE 2: Google has released a CarPlay-compatible update of Google Maps as of 9/18/18. But while having new apps in CarPlay is great I am also interested in hearing if the CarPlay bugs such as occurred in iOS 11.2 (e.g., can't get back into CarPlay after activating the camera in reverse) have not returned, and no new bugs have cropped up...

Last edited by MDAudi; 09-19-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Waze yet, which is what I want. There were some small bugs I had with Music but they seemed to have fixed them with the next version. I'd say I've had more connection issues than I did with 11. I had almost 0 connection issues with 11, with 12 I get probably 30% connection issues
Old 09-13-2018, 11:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"It is unclear when exactly the apps themselves will be updated to support CarPlay. (Both apps currently work with Google's Android rival to CarPlay, Android Auto.) Waze tells USA TODAY that it will have its app ready for CarPlay "shortly after iOS 12 is launched," but the company did not provide an exact date."
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/tech/t...ay/1289750002/
Old 09-14-2018, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I downloaded the latest beta last night. No significant changes over previous betas. I still get lots of "unknown" on the virtual cockpit.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nostromo
I downloaded the latest beta last night. No significant changes over previous betas. I still get lots of "unknown" on the virtual cockpit.
Hi downloaded IOS 12 today and cannot enable google maps, tried several online sources including audi customer service and no luck!
Old 09-17-2018, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have IOS 12 and are WAZE tester then today was good day. A new test version of Waze came out and indeed it does provide for Waze in CarPlay. Here it is on the screen of 2017 S3

Old 09-17-2018, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MDAudi
Perhaps lost in all the recent announcements from Apple was the news that the iOS 12 "Golden Master" to developers and public beta testers. Anyone want to comment on how CarPlay in this version (which is very likely the final release version) works on Audis. Of course, I am particularly interested in iOS 12's behavior in 2017 A4s and 2018 Allroads . Certain apps such as Waze may still not work properly (they may not have released an update that plays well with iOS 12), but I am hoping there aren't any problems with CarPlay like we had with 11.2...
I've been running the golden master for about a week.

I've had some minor issues with the Podcasts app, but otherwise everything is great. You won't see Google Maps or Waze until those companies update their apps. Clearly they're both working on it (Waze is available in beta for people who are on the TestFlight list).
Old 09-17-2018, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by arudson
If you have IOS 12 and are WAZE tester then today was good day. A new test version of Waze came out and indeed it does provide for Waze in CarPlay. Here it is on the screen of 2017 S3

HALLELUJAH BROTHER!
Old 09-17-2018, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by arudson

Curious how it works. Can you ask Siri for directions and it starts Waze or do you have to open Waze and then enter directions? One of the long standing flaws of iOS is the inability to pick third-party apps as the default. Is there finally a way in conjunction with CarPlay or did Waze at least add a skill to Siri, so you can ask her for Waze directions and hopefully Google Maps directions in the near future?
Old 09-17-2018, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m following this because I HATE CarPlay overall but the ability to mirror Waze or Google Maps may be enough to get me to start using it and learning to like it. I hope to God Google Maps allows for satellite view. I’ll cream my pants if it integrates into VC or HUD.

Quick Reply: Apple iOS 12 and CarPlay