Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

can't find tires for sq5 only summers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default can't find tires for sq5 only summers?

so with the 255/40 R21, i just went to tire rack and discount tire and found that there is only 1 all season tire (pirelli) and about 5 summer tires, along with 1 full winter tire? Are you saying we have basically no choice on tires here? seems basically only pirelli makes tires in our size? this is crazy and they are expensive lol...
i was hoping for a solution of all seasons, mainly because they last about twice as long as summers in my experience but this is weird to me that there are only about 7 total options made in our size?
am i missing something here? if not, then what do you all do? bite the bullet and get the summer/performance tires? In my past cars, while summer tires give a lot more traction, this is not a problem on the sq5 with quattro so I would go for the all seasons but there really is no choice here.... my car has 7000 miles and tires are at about 4/32's-5/32's... that equates to needing new ones at about 12-13k which is correct for a summer tire... most all season's I've had in the past usually get closer to 20-25k
Old 09-15-2018, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anytime you elect a wheel that's not as common in the marketplace you'll be limited by tires options to fit it. Tire manufacturers have little incentive to produce tires in this size due to the low use in the marketplace.

Remember 20-30 years ago when you got a truck and it had 17 inch wheels on it? Tires were rare to fit that size. Over the years 17+ has become more common place; as such, tire manufacturers have responded and offered more choices.

Go with a 20" wheel or smaller and you'll see a much larger selection of tires that are less expensive as well.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Something went wrong or Tire Rack is out of stock. Mine came with Michelin All Seasons 255/45R20 Premiere LTX but they have a reduced speed rating to 135. I also purchased Michelin Studless Snow Xi’s but had to go to a slightly different size 245/50R20 that is almost the same circumference. Side by side it’s hard to tell the difference. I researched reviews and picked M over Hancook because of the noise factor and better tread life.
What I did was go to the Michelin web and research tire sizes. Then I checked around for the best price (including Amazon, Jet & EBay) and bought from Discount Tire. They will price match others like Tire Rack and having them local saved on shipping. I was pleasantly surprised by Discount....they are modern, well staffed and do RFBalance-a quality operation!
Edit: You have 21’s but the same process might help.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2018_SQ5
Anytime you elect a wheel that's not as common in the marketplace you'll be limited by tires options to fit it. Tire manufacturers have little incentive to produce tires in this size due to the low use in the marketplace.

Remember 20-30 years ago when you got a truck and it had 17 inch wheels on it? Tires were rare to fit that size. Over the years 17+ has become more common place; as such, tire manufacturers have responded and offered more choices.

Go with a 20" wheel or smaller and you'll see a much larger selection of tires that are less expensive as well.
I hear ya... was more worried about selection and all seasons over the pricing part.... I didn't know this was just such an odd size
Old 09-15-2018, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ron.S
Something went wrong or Tire Rack is out of stock. Mine came with Michelin All Seasons 255/45R20 Premiere LTX but they have a reduced speed rating to 135. I also purchased Michelin Studless Snow Xi’s but had to go to a slightly different size 245/50R20 that is almost the same circumference. Side by side it’s hard to tell the difference. I researched reviews and picked M over Hancook because of the noise factor and better tread life.
What I did was go to the Michelin web and research tire sizes. Then I checked around for the best price (including Amazon, Jet & EBay) and bought from Discount Tire. They will price match others like Tire Rack and having them local saved on shipping. I was pleasantly surprised by Discount....they are modern, well staffed and do RFBalance-a quality operation!
Edit: You have 21’s but the same process might help.
Thank you. I understand what you did but I always try to stay the same exact circumference if I can as even small differences can change gearing, braking, odometer etc. I hear you that 245/50 to 255/45 isn't much off and probably not noticeable... I also try not to go narrower. Guess I'll just deal with it and get the pirelli all seasons or the summers... love that summer tires perform better but they usually last about half as long and since these are expensive and this isn't really a "sports" car with rear wheel drive only, I'll probably try the All seasons...
Old 09-15-2018, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i got 6 tires that came up on tirerack in exact size

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...inLoadRating=S

i think as winter is on its way maybe the inventory of summer is little low
Old 09-15-2018, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You might check Bridgestone before you give up. Also I’m wondering if you have worn out the factory tires already? Have you ruled out a second set of tires and wheels? I find that by running two sets winter & summer that I don’t need tires again. You can buy decent 20” wheels for a grand and will save half that on 20” tires over 21’s.
I’ll guarantee you that you won’t notice a 2-3% difference in tire diameter or width. Audi 20 & 21 SQ5 Tires can vary that much across different brands. Actually my winter tires are closer to the actual speed going through radar. My only concern with tire diameter is the speedometer accuracy since I have a tendency to speed.
The other Audi forum is loaded with vendors like Mops selling much wider wheels and much larger tires. A lot of seasoned Audi guys make that one of the first mods.
All of this is a helpful exercise though....Both Audi and Benz are putting 21’s & 22’s on more cars and SUV’s. Something else to consider when making a purchase.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KaDeTime
i got 6 tires that came up on tirerack in exact size

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...inLoadRating=S

i think as winter is on its way maybe the inventory of summer is little low
yes thats the problem, 6 summer tires that won't last beyond 12k with treadwear ratings from 220 to 300 lol.... there is 1 all season pirelli which looks like it might be the one I try.. I don't even see it now on your link though... funny too that both OEM tires are max summer lol....
Old 09-15-2018, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ron.S
You might check Bridgestone before you give up. Also I’m wondering if you have worn out the factory tires already? Have you ruled out a second set of tires and wheels? I find that by running two sets winter & summer that I don’t need tires again. You can buy decent 20” wheels for a grand and will save half that on 20” tires over 21’s.
I’ll guarantee you that you won’t notice a 2-3% difference in tire diameter or width. Audi 20 & 21 SQ5 Tires can vary that much across different brands. Actually my winter tires are closer to the actual speed going through radar. My only concern with tire diameter is the speedometer accuracy since I have a tendency to speed.
The other Audi forum is loaded with vendors like Mops selling much wider wheels and much larger tires. A lot of seasoned Audi guys make that one of the first mods.
All of this is a helpful exercise though....Both Audi and Benz are putting 21’s & 22’s on more cars and SUV’s. Something else to consider when making a purchase.
Thank you... they aren't worn out completely yet but legal I believe is 2 or 3/32nd's and I'm at 4 and 5 mixed... They came on the car as I got my car with 6,000 miles on it... In any case, just preparing for the upcoming purchase lol....
I live in Miami so there is no such thing as winter and no need for a 2nd set, summer tires work great in wet and dry all year here. While I like the sound of different/wider rims and tires, I also don't know if I can justify that given that these 21's are actually kind of nice looking... if I didn't like them I would do it for sure but I can live with the slightly more expensive options I guess... was just curious what you all did and which tires you all went with upon your first change out.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat00
yes thats the problem, 6 summer tires that won't last beyond 12k with treadwear ratings from 220 to 300 lol.... there is 1 all season pirelli which looks like it might be the one I try.. I don't even see it now on your link though... funny too that both OEM tires are max summer lol....
i run summer pirelli scorpion and winter scorpion i like the summer have not try the winter but they were righted highest by tire rack.

do some research as i think people are complaining about the all season pirelli tire if thats the same one

Quick Reply: can't find tires for sq5 only summers?