TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

TTS Ground Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTS Ground Clearance

Dear all,
the question maybe somewhat funny for someone living in California. However for someone who lives like me in Toronto, where it may become quite snowy on the roads in winter at times, it's the first question that comes to mind when seeing the rather low nose of TTS.
I love the car and nearly made my decision to go for it. However then mid winter snowdrifts come to mind and that makes me think again.
Anyone who can possible share their experience driving this beauty in heavy winter conditions? Do you get stuck in a snow often?

Will really appreciate any advise.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Massachusetts, winter of 2015 just north of Boston. we had over 100 inches of snow in what seemed like a week, but was more like two months. We just got it in 2 foot increments.

The most important thing to stress is you have to have a good set of snow tires to be comfortable in this car in the winter unless you are sure you won't be seeing any real snow. I have been driving a TT since 2001 (and a Miata summer and winter for 10 years before that) and with a good set of snows (I prefer Nokiens), a little respect for the conditions and some luck, I never got stuck with any of them. The ground clearance can be an issue, but you can plow your way through 4-6 inches of wet and up to 10 inches of dry snow for short distances if necessary. This is NOT an FJ Cruiser or Jeep, but you can definitely survive a snowy winter with it. More than the ground clearance was the overall visibility around me. When the snow banks everywhere are 6 feet high, you can't see anything. That was more of a problem for me.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Dear RoadTTripper,
thank you so much! this is very valuable. Yes, I definitely understand that very good winter tires are a must have. It's just I never had driven any car with such low nose in winter before, and last winter was brutal here in Toronto.
Thank you!!!!
Old 09-23-2018, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Another Nat
Dear RoadTTripper,
the last winter was brutal here in Toronto!
Yeah, it was. The only time I have ever had trouble was during the big ice storm. The roads hadn't been plowed yet which didn't matter to my (Mk3) TT with sport suspension - it plowed through it all with 18" wheels and X-Ice tires. A few days later after the storm had passed, I notice a small 2" strip of paint missing at the very bottom of the front spoiler. I brought it to my favourite body shop asking them what could be done. Turns out that I must have driven over some massive chunks of ice hidden in the 6"+ of slush that morning that also tore a hole in the plastic cover underneath. While I'm unhappy that I had to make an insurance claim, I was relieved that the body shop caught everything. The shop covered my deductible even since I had used them before and recommended them highly for Audi work.

Don't let this story dissuade you - that was a freaky accident on a very freaky day. After two winters in the TT, I am always impressed with how amazing it handles. The car has also been through a 850 km trip in early January from Princeton NJ to Toronto through the Poconos and everything in between. The weather was freezing rain and slush the whole way and the car was amazing. I can't see how it could be any different for a Mk2.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

What is REALLY fun is showing up at a ski area on a snowy day with a TT. The looks are priceless. Not quite as head turning as when I did that with my Miata, but still fun. Several times I have gone up 93 in New Hampshire north of Manchester with the roads still covered in a few inches of slush. Not an issue as long as you treat things respectfully and don't try and change lanes too quickly. And you still get there in time for first lift!
Old 09-24-2018, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I park mine in winter, but if I were to drive mine in winter i would have 17" Nokian's. I would also carry a tow rope in case. If you have aftermarket springs, I would raise are as much as possible. My car is now lowered with MSS Kits and is 4" off ground to bottom, so there is now way it will ever be driven in winter..lol
Old 09-24-2018, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

If you actually measure the front end of your TT you will find it is not that much lower than a slew of other cars. Compared to an A4, or 330xi or C300 4Matic there is virtually no difference. The TT is my daily driver, and I've driven it though plenty of blizzards and snow-filled streets. Never had an ounce of problems, never been stuck. I can't image you would have an issue. One really helpful snow-fording feature is it's extremely low weight.
The following users liked this post:
Caymanbob (09-13-2022)
Old 09-25-2018, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

^^^"the extremely low weight" and the fact the underside is sheathed in plastic covers. He floats pretty nicely over the snow.
I enjoy the car too much to put him up for the winter. That being said I will use my Toyota FJ if it is over hood deep. Just because you can....

Besides, it is fun to turn off the traction control and play in parking lots!