A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Best EZ-Pass setup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best EZ-Pass setup?

Maybe yes, maybe no. Either way, I'm thrilled with how clean his looks IRL - it kinda looks like a "support/stand" for the MMI screen if you didn't know any better.
  1. Buy this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/EZ-Pass-IPa...r/253470025245
  2. Place it behind the MMI screen like so:

Note: The color difference isn't as noticeable in daylight as it is in this photo in my garage.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Good post. thanks!
Old 09-16-2018, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks interesting. One question: Are the two velcro strips (black ones) shown in the photos in the website shipped attached to the holder or do they get attached later? I would not want to attach the holder to the windshield and wouldn't really want them showing (it looks like they don't show in the photos you took), so I am hoping they are not shipped attached. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Looks interesting. One question: Are the two velcro strips (black ones) shown in the photos in the website shipped attached to the holder or do they get attached later? I would not want to attach the holder to the windshield and wouldn't really want them showing (it looks like they don't show in the photos you took), so I am hoping they are not shipped attached. Thanks.
They ship separately... I didn't even use them. I used the velcro that came with the EZ Pass. Yes, it's not black, but because the rubber case extends over the edge so well, it kind of hides the velcro strips anyway. Virtually impossible to see the velcro unless you jam your face into the dash.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great! I was just thinking today what an eyesore my ez pass was on my otherwise sleek looking front-end.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

That looks perfect. And I love the placement. I’ll be doing it soon I guess. I was also wondering whether we could paint or wrap it? Any idea if that would be fine and not interfere with it’s working?
Old 09-17-2018, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
That looks perfect. And I love the placement. I’ll be doing it soon I guess. I was also wondering whether we could paint or wrap it? Any idea if that would be fine and not interfere with it’s working?
I first coated it with PastiDip but it didn't look as finished to me as getting the rubber cover. Also, the rubber cover does a much better job hiding the velcro strips and the gap that creates with the screen.

Which is to say that I have PlastiDip and a rubber cover and it still tested to work fine for me.

Cheers!
Old 09-17-2018, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
I first coated it with PastiDip but it didn't look as finished to me as getting the rubber cover. Also, the rubber cover does a much better job hiding the velcro strips and the gap that creates with the screen.

Which is to say that I have PlastiDip and a rubber cover and it still tested to work fine for me.

Cheers!
Thank you. Guess I’ll be ordering three since I have three EZ passes.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
Maybe yes, maybe no. Either way, I'm thrilled with how clean his looks IRL - it kinda looks like a "support/stand" for the MMI screen if you didn't know any better.
  1. Buy this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/EZ-Pass-IPa...r/253470025245
  2. Place it behind the MMI screen like so:

Note: The color difference isn't as noticeable in daylight as it is in this photo in my garage.
Based on your setup, I infer that it doesn't matter which way the transponder is facing. Is that correct? Ordinarily, the front of the transponder (the side that says "EZ-Pass" and has the transponder #) would be facing the interior of the car.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by clr1945
Based on your setup, I infer that it doesn't matter which way the transponder is facing. Is that correct? Ordinarily, the front of the transponder (the side that says "EZ-Pass" and has the transponder #) would be facing the interior of the car.
I don't think it matters if it's upside down or right side up, but the flat side with the velcro should face the MMI screen.

Quick Reply: Best EZ-Pass setup?