Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Is there a way to shut off auto braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there a way to shut off auto braking

Not sure if this is part of pre sense of if it can be disabled but today at gas station, with no moving cars around me, as I had to three point turn to get in, as I approached the island with the Pump all of a sudden it started beeping and then brakes kicked it as everyone was staring at me like I don’t know how to drive it was so loud omg... how on earth can I stop this, I can drive myself thank you Audi...
Old 09-17-2018, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Change the setting for audi pre-sense to late. It works fine for me. Twice it has saved me from rear-ending.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nikv
Change the setting for audi pre-sense to late. It works fine for me. Twice it has saved me from rear-ending.

this only changes the operator massage timing not braking, there is no way (without probably trying to code it) to adjust the distance or activation of presence
Old 09-17-2018, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

So every time I near an object brakes will engage? How do you get into right spots? Lol
Old 09-17-2018, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Heat00
So every time I near an object brakes will engage? How do you get into right spots? Lol

LOl, the car will only brake if it thinks you’re speed and drive input is not correct for the situation.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KaDeTime

LOl, the car will only brake if it thinks you’re speed and drive input is not correct for the situation.
thats great but it guessed wrong today...
Old 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

thats great but it guessed wrong today...

the system will always error on a safety side. Maybe the system was trying to worm you of not safe driving, is a three point turn legally in a fuel station?... Just kidding brother. The system has done the same to me once but has help me twice with pulling out in to traffic. Back to ur situation is it possible that there was a traffic in the rear that the car try to alert you off? And you just did not noticed as the car moved fast or farther in the way Or were you traveling forward? Maybe the pump sidewalks incline confused the system.

Last edited by KaDeTime; 09-17-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Sometimes it will see a shadow and brake false positive. I managed to back out of the garage and back into the blue recycling bin, and it did nothing (was surprised at that).
Old 09-17-2018, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

No there was no car behind or in front of me. There was no reason for it to just on the brakes, very disappointing. I’ve been driving for exactly 30 years and have always done at least 25k a year, which is over 2 million miles and I haven’t ever had a car decide to stop for me. It’s really not necessary and in my first experience it stopped when it shouldn’t have. So it’s 0-1 so far. It guessed wrong, I do t know how it determines These calculations nor do I care, I only care about real world and so far it has been wrong. I really hope this doesn’t become the norm or this baby will find it’s way back to the dealer in a trade lol. I’m not in love with it as it is to be honest. It’s not that it’s bad or that I don’t like it, I just feel for this much money there are better options that are more exciting. I guess I expected too much and I bought into the hype that this would be as exciting as a sports car or sports sedan but it is not. It’s not the sq’s fault, it is very good for an suv, guess I’m just not thrilled with the decision to get an suv lol
i hope this changes over time or it will be an expensive mistake.
it also doesn’t separate itself from the regular q5, most people see me and think it’s a soccer mom in suburbia picking up kids, which pisses me off.

sorry to go off topic, just trying to find a way to love this thing....
Old 09-17-2018, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

So it’s 0-1 so far. It guessed wrong,
I'm not usually the optimist by any means, but I would offer that the millions of other times it didn't apply the brakes because it correctly assessed no danger might count for something
I understand just wanting it to work though without false positives. For me it depends on how often. The one time I got a hard brake was disconcerting (I was not in danger but the algorithm was sufficiently accurate to presume danger). Anyway, time will prove if there is an issue or not.

Quick Reply: Is there a way to shut off auto braking