A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

What clear coat for a metallic black car

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What clear coat for a metallic black car

Let me start with that I had my cars silver metallic for many years, 70%-30% Hwy runs commuting, in Canada we have hot+humid summers with gusting wind blowing any kind a **** at Hwy speeds and pretty cold and very salty winters here at my place just a bit North from Toronto.
For almost two decades I was waxing my own cars (and wife's car/SUV's) 5-6 times a year (or maybe more), bouncing between Mother's and Meguiar's until I stop with Sonax liquid ceramic waxes. All these time all manual work, preparing and polishing with some basic battery powered junk (junk I say today but it was really running well for a decade).
Last weekend I pulled my wallet and purchased the Griot's Garage 6" polisher, and didn't wanted to jump up right away to top of the hill quality (and price) waxes, let me start with inter-medium waxes.
But before I touch my black metallic B9 for sure I want to educate myself.
Grab my 14 years old silver metallic VW TDi from my son (he is living in my house anyway ), that was my car, nobody could tell the age of that paint it is glossy...and first removed the scratches with GG Complete Compound and applied a GG Liquid Gloss Poly Wax...I just use a cutting disk (to remove scratches I could not do by hand earlier with waxing only) and finished with a polishing foam insert didn't touch the finishing disk yet....
and this thing (the machine and the compounds) is amazing, I was shocked how much a machine can make a difference, I should probably get it way earlier.
This is really a show car look.
Next will be my wife's silver metallic SUV, still to educate myself with thingies. I didn't told her yet but she saw the the old car, it was an eye opener...
And when I will feel ready I will take my black beast for a shining.

Now I am preparing a question I don't know yet how to ask, some folks here may laugh but anyway...
I guess I learned (or at least I am in the right way) how to make a top - clear coat shine like never before...any way I can put an extra layer on top of it to preserve the transparent top coat?
What that would be? Wagner, Sonax, CarPro?
Old 09-17-2018, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I applied Carpro CQUK 3.0 a month back and my car looks like it has a layer of glass on it. Absolutely love it. Make sure you read before applying ceramic coating and also make sure you have a lot of ambient lighting. Also, paint correction and ipa wipe down is a must before ceramic coating.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

My first sport car the RX-7, got it second...or third hand, that car had that pretty impressive tough layer like glass on it...not sure if I am ready to jump to that DIY level yet.
edit, I would go that ceramic coating but this is a leased car, would that be an easy way to remove the coating if I decide to return? I mean I don't know how "permanent" is it...

Last edited by bigHUN; 09-17-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigHUN
My first sport car the RX-7, got it second...or third hand, that car had that pretty impressive tough layer like glass on it...not sure if I am ready to jump to that DIY level yet.
edit, I would go that ceramic coating but this is a leased car, would that be an easy way to remove the coating if I decide to return? I mean I don't know how "permanent" is it...
Why remove?
I’ve also the CQUK 3.0, but didn’t by myself and found a detailer for bring it on. On my last car after 2 years still shining! (Only 12K kms a year, every night parked in a garage and only hand-washed.)
Old 09-18-2018, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

A leased car would be good for you to learn on. My A4 and X3 are leased while I bought the other two. Though I might end up buying the A4 end of lease. I practiced on my A4 because BMW has amazing paint quality (so so so much better than my Audis) and my A4 had a lot of swirls when they “detailed” it during delivery. So I learnt paint correction on it and it came out brilliant. I also decided to ceramic coat my car after i spent some time reading about it and stuff that can go wrongs such as high spots and streaks. Luckily I ended up with only two high spots that I polished and redid. I’ll be doing my A7 and SQ5 later when I have time (my A4 has twice as much miles as the other two combined and hence needs TLC).
and why would u remove it before u return it? If anything, the dealer should be pleased that it has a ceramic coating. It makes the car shine brilliantly once it cures. And no use removing it since there’s no way you can reuse it. Basically like wax but semi permanent (wax will disappear after a couple of washes).

Originally Posted by AkitaNL

Why remove?
I’ve also the CQUK 3.0, but didn’t by myself and found a detailer for bring it on. On my last car after 2 years still shining! (Only 12K kms a year, every night parked in a garage and only hand-washed.)

I called around for quotes here and everyone wanted $1000+ including paint correction. So I decided on a DIY and I am very pleased. My car is also always garaged and either hand washed or touch less washed (I’ve done 12500 miles on my A4 since Nov 2016. My A7 which I also got in Nov 2016 a week after the A4 has done only 6k miles and my SQ5 which I got in April 2018 has done only 1k miles)

Last edited by VipinLJ; 09-20-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

For now I spent well over my planned budget for the GG polisher, a variety of 6" and 3" pads, and a full box of different level waxes, a full trunk of microfiber towels were the least cost collected them from aliexpress
I would exhaust first these liquid waxes from GG , with 3 of my cars will take me maybe up to next summer, in mean time will be educating myself for the ceramic coat.
I don't like to pay third parties if I feel confident trying DIY
Old 09-21-2018, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default towels are super important

For now I spent well over my planned budget for the GG polisher, a variety of 6" and 3" pads, and a full box of different level waxes, a full trunk of microfiber towels were the least cost collected them from aliexpress
I would exhaust first these liquid waxes from GG , with 3 of my cars will take me maybe up to next summer, in mean time will be educating myself for the ceramic coat.
I don't like to pay third parties if I feel confident trying DIY
Sounds like you are ready to get started! Please share the results. Be careful with the microfiber towels and ensure they are of good quality. I spent numerous hours detailing and applying ceramic coating to min but I think where I went wrong was with the microfiber towels. Although they were meguiars towels, they weren’t as plush as I would have liked and I might have introduced some micro scratches over my fresh coating. May need to redo a few panels at a time
Old 09-22-2018, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by vkamnyev

Sounds like you are ready to get started! Please share the results. Be careful with the microfiber towels and ensure they are of good quality. I spent numerous hours detailing and applying ceramic coating to min but I think where I went wrong was with the microfiber towels. Although they were meguiars towels, they weren’t as plush as I would have liked and I might have introduced some micro scratches over my fresh coating. May need to redo a few panels at a time
I agree. MF quality is very important.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got these, thick "hairs" and very soft towels, but honestly I didn't use these yet on big flat panels only on doors edges around and formed walls where doors seals. On big panels shorter "hairs" only to clean any remaining "dust" from polishing.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I got these, thick "hairs" and very soft towels, but honestly I didn't use these yet on big flat panels only on doors edges around and formed walls where doors seals. On big panels shorter "hairs" only to clean any remaining "dust" from polishing.
I don’t know if aliexpress MF towels are good. I know the Costco ones suck. I used one to buff out the ceramic coat after application and ended up missing things up. Had to polish and redo. Make sure you check out auto detailing forums. There’s loads of info there on coating. How to do it. What to use. Etc.