Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Off to the crusher....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Off to the crusher....

Well, after 2 years+ of working through the dieselgate drama, I have finally come to the end of Audi ownership. I turned my 2010 TDI Q7 in today in exchange for a very generous cash payout. I asked the representative what would happen to it and she said it is most likely off to the crusher. She said in some markets they will keep it but with mine it would not survive. Very sad indeed. It served in many capacities including daily transportation, towing my race cars, transporting grand kids and just overall utility when needed. I had zero significant issues and loved the TDI platform. I tried hard to replace it with another Audi but felt that the new Q7's just did not have the character of my 2010. After owning 5 Audi's, I have now moved on to another brand. All of my Audi's performed flawlessly and I liked them all. The brand has just grown old and too familiar to me so decided to go in a different direction. The forum has served me well and I received lots of great advice. Hopefully some of my posts were useful. All the best to everyone. Signing out....Cheers!

Old 09-20-2018, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
Well, after 2 years+ of working through the dieselgate drama, I have finally come to the end of Audi ownership. I turned my 2010 TDI Q7 in today in exchange for a very generous cash payout. I asked the representative what would happen to it and she said it is most likely off to the crusher. She said in some markets they will keep it but with mine it would not survive. Very sad indeed. It served in many capacities including daily transportation, towing my race cars, transporting grand kids and just overall utility when needed. I had zero significant issues and loved the TDI platform. I tried hard to replace it with another Audi but felt that the new Q7's just did not have the character of my 2010. After owning 5 Audi's, I have now moved on to another brand. All of my Audi's performed flawlessly and I liked them all. The brand has just grown old and too familiar to me so decided to go in a different direction. The forum has served me well and I received lots of great advice. Hopefully some of my posts were useful. All the best to everyone. Signing out....Cheers!
Just curious, why did you opt for the dieselgate payout option when the car was treating you so well?
Old 09-20-2018, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KevvyGP
Just curious, why did you opt for the dieselgate payout option when the car was treating you so well?
$50K for a 2010 model car plus no confidence the "fix" on the 2010 model would provide the same performance. I would be surprised if anyone with a 2010 model did not take the payout.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
$50K for a 2010 model car plus no confidence the "fix" on the 2010 model would provide the same performance. I would be surprised if anyone with a 2010 model did not take the payout.

I DID!!! I DID!!!

Old 09-21-2018, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems like a huge no-brainer - 50k for a german car hitting 9 years old

I hope you enjoy the Rover - test drove one myself before getting my 18 Q7 - you nailed it, the new one does not have as much personality, but still the best all-around SUV out there.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i sold back my 2010 also. It's a no brainer for the money. In fact, anyone who fixes it and keeps it is actually throwing money out the window.

In the OP point, he could've done the fix for $10k but his car would've been worth $20k tops. That's $20k loss.

As far as the crusher goes, i'm not so sure. My dealer thinks my q7 will go to another country after the fix. Important thing is the fix was approved which lets audi refurbish and resell them and recoup some of the money instread of taking a total loss. In majority of the world these cars are still a hot ticket.