Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

My new Spyder Plus

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My new Spyder Plus

Dynamite Red, black interior with silver diamond stitching, black optic package, B&O, dynamic steering,

She's quite a machine and people look at me everywhere I go! I wish I had gotten it earlier in the year before I have to put it away for the winter.

I was hassled for no front plate and would like to explore a temporary option if anyone has suggestions.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Damn she looks beautiful. Lovely color. Time to update your pic in your signature

Regarding the no plates, I’m sorry. I have no idea. But I remember someone somewhere made a magnetic mount by installing four really strong magnets behind the grill (I don’t remember which car it was or where I even saw it) and four on a plate holder and he used to attach it as and when needed. I would be paranoid though because I’d be afraid of the licence plate holder falling off while driving (though he said it was really strong).
Old 09-21-2018, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Damn she looks beautiful. Lovely color. Time to update your pic in your signature

Regarding the no plates, I’m sorry. I have no idea. But I remember someone somewhere made a magnetic mount by installing four really strong magnets behind the grill (I don’t remember which car it was or where I even saw it) and four on a plate holder and he used to attach it as and when needed. I would be paranoid though because I’d be afraid of the licence plate holder falling off while driving (though he said it was really strong).
I just talked to a cop friend of mine and he said that a front plate is really a good idea. That way there is no temptation to mess with me. I need to do more research.

Thanks for the compliment!
Old 09-21-2018, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JGA5Cab
I just talked to a cop friend of mine and he said that a front plate is really a good idea. That way there is no temptation to mess with me. I need to do more research.

Thanks for the compliment!
I agree. That is why all my cars have both plates. I’d rather stay on the right side of the law whenever I can.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I just live with the blight of the front plate, but there are several options for more temporary solutions. Tow hook plates are very popular:

example example

And there's a "stealth" plate that uses a bracket that screws into the bottom of the front bumper (advertised regularly on this forum).
Old 09-21-2018, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rccoleman
I just live with the blight of the front plate, but there are several options for more temporary solutions. Tow hook plates are very popular:

example

And there's a "stealth" plate that uses a bracket that screws into the bottom of the front bumper (advertised regularly on this forum).

I called the makers of Sto n Sho and they don't have a configuration for the R8 yet. They want to look into it. Their issue is that they need to actually see and touch one to design it.

I was thinking of buying an AUDI SPORT logo front plate and Velcro it in place for gatherings.

Last edited by JGA5Cab; 09-28-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are many front "tow hook" mount solutions for the R8 and some even have a quick release to remove them.

search kijiji and e-bay, they're about 100 bucks.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great car. Just a few days ago. I posted a push in/pull out front plate DYI solution for R8 Spyder using toggle bolts that I think is better than anything you can buy aftermarket and it will set you back about $1. Check this forum for my description and pics -- it is about 4 posts under yours. Works like a charm.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I put the plate in the windshield with some silicone cabinet door bumpers. Ohio is supposed to do away with front plates next summer. As long as it's visible, it's fine. Some people drive around with no plate and never get hassled. I am just a cop magnet in this bright red car. The toggle bolt idea is cool though. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2019, 11:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that looks amazing. Love the red on that beast!