Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Auto Stop/Start Modulation

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Stop/Start Modulation

I've had other cars with auto stop/start (***), but more so with my Q5, I feel that I need to use the brake to enforce the engagement. If I gently come to a stop, the engine will keep running, but once stopped, if I apply firm pressure to the brake pedal, the engine will move to Ready mode.

I'm one of the rare folks who actually doesn't mind the ***, especially when I see I will be stopped for more than a couple seconds (light just turned red). Being able to modulate with the brake is helpful with this.

Do you guys experience this as well?
Old 09-21-2018, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Coming from a hybrid Lexus RX I was used to the engine start stop. I like the Audi feature of light pressure on brake keeps the engine on for short stops and harder pressure stops it. This increases fuel economy by about 10% and emissions as well. In some BMW's I have driven the start stop was quite abrupt and I did disable it.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate that feature. I disabled it on my last vehicle and now I disabled it on my SQ5. LOL
Old 09-21-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hated it when I drove my wife's A4 before I got my Q5, but when in a car that's driven every day you kind of get used to it. It's pretty easy to modulate with the brake, but I still disable it in circumstances where I have to merge or cross quickly.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibson6594
I've had other cars with auto stop/start (***), but more so with my Q5, I feel that I need to use the brake to enforce the engagement. If I gently come to a stop, the engine will keep running, but once stopped, if I apply firm pressure to the brake pedal, the engine will move to Ready mode.

I'm one of the rare folks who actually doesn't mind the ***, especially when I see I will be stopped for more than a couple seconds (light just turned red). Being able to modulate with the brake is helpful with this.

Do you guys experience this as well?
This is not my experience at all....If I gently come to a stop my engine will shut off before I even get stopped. I haven't noticed that I can control the engine shutting off in way using just the brake pedal. Maybe that's a difference between the S and the regular Q5?
Old 09-21-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benzie
This is not my experience at all....If I gently come to a stop my engine will shut off before I even get stopped. I haven't noticed that I can control the engine shutting off in way using just the brake pedal. Maybe that's a difference between the S and the regular Q5?
Interesting. I wonder if they made the S more sensitive to try to increase MPG/decrease emissions on the more powerful engine.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C-Los
I hate that feature. I disabled it on my last vehicle and now I disabled it on my SQ5. LOL
Please explain, I would love to disable this.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by texasDFWS4
Please explain, I would love to disable this.
There is a button on the center stack of course to disable for each trip, or with OBDeleven there is a code to trick the Q5 into thinking the heat is always on and it disables the start stop permanently.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hate it on any vehicle, including my SQ5.

I had no luck disabling via VCDS so now I just have a habit after I press the ignition button my finger slides the few inches to the right to press the button to disable it.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:02 PM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2018_SQ5
Hate it on any vehicle, including my SQ5.

I had no luck disabling via VCDS so now I just have a habit after I press the ignition button my finger slides the few inches to the right to press the button to disable it.
Disabled it with no problems using the OBDEleven. Also tweaked a few others settings in the car.

Quick Reply: Auto Stop/Start Modulation