TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

To Cancel Audi Connect or not?

Old 09-21-2018, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default To Cancel Audi Connect or not?

How many cancelled Audi connect following the initial trial period? Plus or minuses? Thoughts?
Old 09-22-2018, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

The only thing I would/will miss is the Google map overlay, but apparently that's going away in 2020, so ....

Mine expires 04 November.

Last edited by Huey52; 09-22-2018 at 03:07 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

There's nothing it does that android auto doesn't do better.

Well, the map fills more of the view screen, but that's it.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, I am getting the same feeling. I do not think it is worth it. A phone can do the same. Matter of fact, after multiple tries I gave up on trying to connect Audi Connect via the app. I could never get the contract verified online. The google map overlay is cool to have. Shows the traffic and nearby gas stations. Apple car play is ok, but obviously an add on display. It does provide my favorite music streaming app (Tidal). Speaking of added apps, I did read on the forum that Waze is or will be applicable. As of right now, I have not seen it for apple type devices.

Overall with the Virtual Cockpit the Audi provides, I do like it. Many of the options included with it, I cannot see using or have found useful. The MMI ability using voice commands are pretty much useless. Perhaps I need a German accent in order to be recognized, lol. The ability to scribble letters onto the MMI trackpad is a hit or miss. This makes it difficult to put GPS addresses into the system, so I found myself not using it. I ended up programing apple maps into my phone and connecting via a USB to car play to work the best. Sirius XM is cool and like it, but paying for it, perhaps not. My Tidal stream will do, but that is not perfect as well. I like the randomization of songs in the genre of my liking which Sirius/XM provides.

All in all, I love the idea of virtual cockpit. I never liked the mini LCD screen placed in the middle of the dash. Audi is way in front on this technology and will be the example to mimic. As I get better navigating the cockpit, it will become more intuitive for sure. With this said, I do welcome experience and advice how you all have come to like or dislike the virtual cockpit and all it entails. I do welcome comments, thank you.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Nebuul
There's nothing it does that android auto doesn't do better.

Well, the map fills more of the view screen, but that's it.
.....except it's not integrated into your instruments the same way and is not controllable from the steering wheel. To me that is a HUGE distinguishing factor. I use Google Search all the time using Audi Connect for phone numbers and navigation. It works so slick, I never have to take my eyes off the road or my hands off the wheel to fiddle with a phone while driving (which is not the best idea anyways). The location-based + previous history logic the car uses is also pretty spectacular.

I have an iPhone, and I virtually never use it, I simply use the in-car system. My theory....people don't like the in-car system because they never use it enough to learn its quirks and really master how it's laid out. People think voice commands are terrible, but likely this is because they never went through the speech training setup in the car. I find it much safer than using my phone, well integrated and I enjoy the convince it provides....so I pay for it. I didn't buy a luxury car to then pinch pennies on the tech subscription, LOL. Just my view.

Indeed....using CarPlay/AA is a pretty sweet FREE alternative...if it satisfies your needs go with that choices. I'll keep subscribing.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by farmerjones
.....except it's not integrated into your instruments the same way and is not controllable from the steering wheel. To me that is a HUGE distinguishing factor. I use Google Search all the time using Audi Connect for phone numbers and navigation. It works so slick, I never have to take my eyes off the road or my hands off the wheel to fiddle with a phone while driving (which is not the best idea anyways). The location-based + previous history logic the car uses is also pretty spectacular.

I have an iPhone, and I virtually never use it, I simply use the in-car system. My theory....people don't like the in-car system because they never use it enough to learn its quirks and really master how it's laid out. People think voice commands are terrible, but likely this is because they never went through the speech training setup in the car. I find it much safer than using my phone, well integrated and I enjoy the convince it provides....so I pay for it. I didn't buy a luxury car to then pinch pennies on the tech subscription, LOL. Just my view.

Indeed....using CarPlay/AA is a pretty sweet FREE alternative...if it satisfies your needs go with that choices. I'll keep subscribing.
This is good to see the other perspective. I can definitely see the benefits. Speech training setup, perhaps I need to dive into the manual and see how to do this. As of right now, it is like auto correct on messaging. I never know what the computer will translate as I deliver a voice command. I will spend some time this weekend learning the system and perhaps I will think differently. I personally do not like the car play, but it is a less band-aid alternative to the Audi Connect at this point.

I concur, I did not purchase a luxury sports car to pinch pennies, but don't want to waste money either.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.....except it's not integrated into your instruments the same way and is not controllable from the steering wheel. To me that is a HUGE distinguishing factor. I use Google Search all the time using Audi Connect for phone numbers and navigation. It works so slick,
100% agree. Integration is a huge usability win.

I also love the accuracy of Google voice search for navigation input, really miss it in our other car (a Mercedes).
Old 09-23-2018, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

...and is not controllable from the steering wheel. To me that is a HUGE distinguishing factor...
This is wrong. Android auto is very controllable from the steering wheel.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I agree that system integration, for me, is generally superior to using a phone as an add-on. Case in point for why I got the tech package in the first place. But again in my usage only the Google map overlay would really be missed. However you've got me re-thinking retention.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, my AT&T just ended, and I find that if I use the phone as a mobile hotspot for the car (2016 - no carplay/android auto), everything works just fine. Now if I can just get it to automagically turn on the hotspot when the bluetooth connects, it would be perfect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To Cancel Audi Connect or not?