Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

drove all the Macans, and....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default drove all the Macans, and....

So, I thought I made a mistake not buying the Macan. Figured I would finally go and look and drive them closely. If I fell in love, then bye bye SQ5.
Within 2 days, i got to see a Macan S, Macan GTS, and Macan Turbo. I got to drive the S and the Turbo, not the GTS however that's in between as far as power anyhow.
I know it's not fair to compare the GTS or Turbo as they are waaay more than the SQ5 (even though it seem anyone I know with one and the forums all compare to the GTS or turbo). That's ridiculous, you have to compare similar price range to be fair. For me, that didn't matter much as I looked at a turbo with a few miles that was getting close the sq5 price.
After driving the S, which was back to back with my SQ5 drive within 30 minutes, I was not impressed. There is NO way the S will keep up with the SQ5. Power felt underwhelming to say the least. I do like the look of the macan and the seats felt really good. Overall the vehicle felt very sporty and handling felt good, probably better than the sq5. However, the sound and power did not feel good and was no where on par with our powertrain. (Please keep in mind these are my opinions based on feel, no test results or anything else lol).
On paper they should be close in fact I believe the 0-60 on the Macan S is slightly quicker at about 4.7 while some reports have ours at 5.1 to 5.3 but I don't really believe those numbers. I think the SQ is faster in actuality and I think the Macan is slower. And yes, this is one of the most important features to me. my charger ran 4.4-4.5 all day with trouble getting traction.
Then the turbo. I was very excited and thought I would be giggling and smiling, leaving there in this thing....
I drove it and came away with a similar no feeling of excitement and I was not impressed. the sound of the motor wasn't very pleasing and it just didn't have that feel of torque or power that I was expecting.
Needless to say, i have ruled out this vehicle and if I drove them both even before buying the SQ5, I would still have chosen what I did.
that being said, my need for speed still gets me and I am looking at a c63 Monday. There is no way it should be compared to the SQ5 as they are very different but I'm going to hopefully rule that out as well lol.
I left porsche with a better appreciation for the SQ5 and if I don't fall in love with the AMG, I will keep here and enjoy.
Just figured I'd share this in case anyone was thinking about the Macan as a competitor or alternative.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat00
So, I thought I made a mistake not buying the Macan. Figured I would finally go and look and drive them closely. If I fell in love, then bye bye SQ5.
Within 2 days, i got to see a Macan S, Macan GTS, and Macan Turbo. I got to drive the S and the Turbo, not the GTS however that's in between as far as power anyhow.
I know it's not fair to compare the GTS or Turbo as they are waaay more than the SQ5 (even though it seem anyone I know with one and the forums all compare to the GTS or turbo). That's ridiculous, you have to compare similar price range to be fair. For me, that didn't matter much as I looked at a turbo with a few miles that was getting close the sq5 price.
After driving the S, which was back to back with my SQ5 drive within 30 minutes, I was not impressed. There is NO way the S will keep up with the SQ5. Power felt underwhelming to say the least. I do like the look of the macan and the seats felt really good. Overall the vehicle felt very sporty and handling felt good, probably better than the sq5. However, the sound and power did not feel good and was no where on par with our powertrain. (Please keep in mind these are my opinions based on feel, no test results or anything else lol).
On paper they should be close in fact I believe the 0-60 on the Macan S is slightly quicker at about 4.7 while some reports have ours at 5.1 to 5.3 but I don't really believe those numbers. I think the SQ is faster in actuality and I think the Macan is slower. And yes, this is one of the most important features to me. my charger ran 4.4-4.5 all day with trouble getting traction.
Then the turbo. I was very excited and thought I would be giggling and smiling, leaving there in this thing....
I drove it and came away with a similar no feeling of excitement and I was not impressed. the sound of the motor wasn't very pleasing and it just didn't have that feel of torque or power that I was expecting.
Needless to say, i have ruled out this vehicle and if I drove them both even before buying the SQ5, I would still have chosen what I did.
that being said, my need for speed still gets me and I am looking at a c63 Monday. There is no way it should be compared to the SQ5 as they are very different but I'm going to hopefully rule that out as well lol.
I left porsche with a better appreciation for the SQ5 and if I don't fall in love with the AMG, I will keep here and enjoy.
Just figured I'd share this in case anyone was thinking about the Macan as a competitor or alternative.
I totally agree. I test drove the Macan GTS (not the S or the Turbo) and I liked it but I also prefer my SQ5. I only really loved the exhaust note from the Porsche whereas I find the SQ5's exhaust note a bit tame compared to the competition.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I test drove the Macan S prior to buying our '16 SQ5 and felt the same - it was a little underwhelming in the power department.

My business partner has a Macan S (Lease is 40% more than my SQ5 lease, but he has 1/2 as many annual miles in his lease than me!!!!). I drove it for a few days, and it's really a great SUV, though. Driving position is just perfect and it has a more planted feeling than our SQ5. But.... for that higher lease cost, no thanks.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

yup, agree with both of you....
exhaust sounded better and driving positing/feel of the road was a little better but overall I just wasn't so impressed, as I thought I would be.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Vancouver, BC w/ a 2018 SQ5 Technik, FULLY loaded. Wow, you can really put a lot of info in here!
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My last 3 vehicles have been C63s. Great cars. So very different lol, and about half the gas mileage. Literally. If you have any questions about them feel free to pm me.

I recently saw my first GLC 63S in person, and I am quietly lusting, but $$$. I may have to start searching the couch for loose change.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove the Macan S, and the Jag F-Force before running back to the Audi dealer to place my order for the SQ5. Both the Macan, and Jag were ok, but the SQ5 handled way better. (with the dynamic steering)
SQ5 felt quicker than the Macan S, and the F-Force...well, it felt like I was driving a boat.

So far I am very happy with my '18 SQ5 Prestige.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SQuirelly5
My last 3 vehicles have been C63s. Great cars. So very different lol, and about half the gas mileage. Literally. If you have any questions about them feel free to pm me.

I recently saw my first GLC 63S in person, and I am quietly lusting, but $$$. I may have to start searching the couch for loose change.
thanks and will do.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SQuirelly5

tried sending PM but not sure it's working right so if you don't mind, I'll put it here( if you got the pm feel free to just reply to me there)

thanks for taking the time.
I'll try to keep it all short lol. my last 2 cars were charger 392's and I miss the power, feel, and speed. thought I wanted an SUV however now that I'm driving it I'm not so sure. the sq5 is great and does it's job very well.
so... I've always wanted an AMG and I found a 2018 C63 with 8000 miles asking 60k. i didn't want to spend that much and if they don't give me a good price for my sq i'll just wait but it's so tempting. I'm going to drive it Monday.
the problems, as you mentioned, are a few:
Price, it's NOT cpo so all I get is the remainder of factory warranty, and who knows what condition it's really in lol.... also MPG is a concern (My 392 believe it or not, average 16-17 MPG over 2 years and 60,000 miles, driving like I stole it).. my good friend has a 2012 e63 wagon and it's hard to explain the power and feeling in that beast... I also found an e63, 2016 with 20k but they want $66k and that's getting to be more than I want to spend, and explain to the wife lol....
As of now I have in my mind to either try the c63 or for about the same price just get the hellcat and call it a day. the 2 chargers are the best cars I've ever owned including my m3 and 335i lol... just so cheap and awesome, easy and cheap to repair, brute force, comfortable, and where I live there are no twisty roads so handling doesn't really matter to me much if at all. I'm not the normal car enthusiast I suppose.
problem with Hellcat is they want 68k (new and hard to find used ones) and it will lose a lot of value quickly, as is with any "new" car. I figure at least the c63 is already down quite a bit and hopefully it doesn't drop like a rock either since it started at 78k and it's down to 60k, I guess the first guy took the initial 20% already?
would love to hear your thoughts, suggestions, comments on your past c63's, and what you would do in this situation?
In my mind I can't really find another car or suv that I would want and if I can't or don't get the cat or the AMG, I'll likely just keep the SQ5 for a while. I drive a lot for work, close to 32-33k/year easily so I don't keep them long as they really lose value after that, not to mention out of warranty, usually a 2 year hold.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I agree. I drove the Macan, S and Turbo and while all three where nice, I didn’t think they were worth it over my SQ5. I drove them before I even test drove the SQ5. The S felt slower for sure but yes. It did handle slightly better. Where I live at, it’s 95% straight, empty roads and my SQ5 makes mince meat out of it. I also test drove the F-Pace and while it sounded amazing and felt fast, my SQ5 felt faster.
But. I test drove an X3 M40i recently and damn. I loved it. The exhaust sounds better than my SQ5. It also handles slightly better I think. I didn’t test drive an M40i before I bought my SQ5 cuz I promised myself no more X3s after owning the one I have now. But now I’m not sure. I might have to break my promise.

Last edited by VipinLJ; 09-23-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I drove an X3M40i and X4M40i yesterday, and I think the BMW has the silkier engine and it may be a bit faster than the SQ5. It feels a little lighter and overall, probably a bit better in the handling department.

That being said, it's hard to go wrong with the SQ5 / X4M40i / Macan S. We have some good choices out there!

Quick Reply: drove all the Macans, and....