A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

a4 interior cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a4 interior cleaning

Hi,

I recently bought a 18 CPO A4 Premium Plus Moonlight Blue Exterior and Rock Gray Interior. The sales person had sold me on that the rock gray interior doesnt heat up as much and contrast well with darker interior. I rushed my decision and i somewhat regret it as I prefer a darker interior. I heard that dark interiors show less dirt. Can anyone advise that have had light A4 interiors, what to use to condition/clean it and how often? Thanks.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

It all depends on how you use your car. I have 17,000 miles and 18 months on my S4 with red magma leather. It still looks like the day I bought it.

My cleaning routine:
  • dust using dry microfiber cloth once every 3 months / as needed to get surface dust off dashboard, screens, mirrors, switches, etc
  • soft paint brush from a craft store that I use to clean visbile dust out of my HVAC vents and nooks and crannies near switch gear
  • wet microfiber cloth (water is fine but I usually use this: https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...ior+cleaner.do) to wipe down kick panels
  • hose down and scrub out all weather mats (I hit them with a gentle degreaser like some dilluted Simple Green when they get really bad) to remove salt during winter
  • every 6-12 months / as needed I will give a gentle wipedown with a clean microfiber and some leather cleaner, followed by another microfiber and leather conditioner. I use Lexol products for that. I've only had to do this twice since I bought the car. One of those times was specifically to get a bunch of suntan lotion off my passenger seat back.
  • Gummi Pflege (google it, German product) on weather seals after first gently cleaning them with a microfiber + the griots cleaner above, when they get gross e.g. sunroof seals or the doors near where my roof rack clamps sit.

Finally, remember that black interiors show just as much dirt as platinum white interiors, if you just treat your car like the temple it is and don't bring any dirt in in the first place.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine's grey. I've got a dirty job supervising people in a dirty environment. Car still clean. I wipe out and dust as needed at least once a month. Not really a big deal.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I too bought a 2018 CPO, but mine has the Atlas Beige & Walnut interior - which I love. Since I already know that dirt will show up here, I went ahead and bough the Audi Leather Care @$8.95/bottle: P/N: EXD123070. Stuff works great and quickly and easily cleaned off some dirt on the leather while also providing some conditioner.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KBB9A4
I too bought a 2018 CPO, but mine has the Atlas Beige & Walnut interior - which I love. Since I already know that dirt will show up here, I went ahead and bough the Audi Leather Care @$8.95/bottle: P/N: EXD123070. Stuff works great and quickly and easily cleaned off some dirt on the leather while also providing some conditioner.
did you get that at a dealership? Thanks.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
It all depends on how you use your car. I have 17,000 miles and 18 months on my S4 with red magma leather. It still looks like the day I bought it.

My cleaning routine:
  • dust using dry microfiber cloth once every 3 months / as needed to get surface dust off dashboard, screens, mirrors, switches, etc
  • soft paint brush from a craft store that I use to clean visbile dust out of my HVAC vents and nooks and crannies near switch gear
  • wet microfiber cloth (water is fine but I usually use this: https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...ior+cleaner.do) to wipe down kick panels
  • hose down and scrub out all weather mats (I hit them with a gentle degreaser like some dilluted Simple Green when they get really bad) to remove salt during winter
  • every 6-12 months / as needed I will give a gentle wipedown with a clean microfiber and some leather cleaner, followed by another microfiber and leather conditioner. I use Lexol products for that. I've only had to do this twice since I bought the car. One of those times was specifically to get a bunch of suntan lotion off my passenger seat back.
  • Gummi Pflege (google it, German product) on weather seals after first gently cleaning them with a microfiber + the griots cleaner above, when they get gross e.g. sunroof seals or the doors near where my roof rack clamps sit.

Finally, remember that black interiors show just as much dirt as platinum white interiors, if you just treat your car like the temple it is and don't bring any dirt in in the first place.
I agree with his cleaning routine. Follow that and your interior will be like brand new. I follow the same routines and use the same products except that gummi pflege. My interior still looks new. But then mine is nougat brown. My old A6 had rock grey interiors and it was definitely tougher to keep it looking clean. But it still looked brand new when I sold her.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use chemical guys products and do a fantastic job.

For the leather I use their leather cleaner, conditioner and seal serum. Easy to use.

For the plastic trim I use their VPR. You can also use this on your tires. It has U/V protection and repeals dust/dirt. Great for vinyl as well.

For the screens I use their all purpose cleaner. It's a yellow liquid. Can't remember the actual name of it.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have experimented with a lot of products over my 3 A4's and these are my favorites. This is for cleaning leather:

https://www.ammonyc.com/shop/ammo-la...rior-cleanser/

While you're at it, this site has a treasure trove of high-end detailing youtube tutorials.

And once, maybe twice a year I condition leather with:

Amazon Amazon

Otherwise I only use a damp microfiber to clean the interior. If things are looking crusty I use this:

Amazon Amazon

I take a lot of pride in having my car feel showroom fresh. These all do the trick exceptionally well.

Last edited by Nostromo; 09-25-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nostromo
I have experimented with a lot of products over my 3 A4's and these are my favorites. This is for cleaning leather:

https://www.ammonyc.com/shop/ammo-la...rior-cleanser/

While you're at it, this site has a treasure trove of high-end detailing youtube tutorials.

And once, maybe twice a year I condition leather with:

https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Maste.../dp/B004SI1WSO

Otherwise I only use a damp microfiber to clean the interior. If things are looking crusty I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-9247.../dp/B0002Z2MZ4

I take a lot of pride in having my car feel showroom fresh. These all do the trick exceptionally well.
i also like the Ammo NYC line of products as referenced by NOSTROMO. They are expensive, but so was my Audi. I go with the attitude that keeping ahead of it makes all the difference. I try my best to never let it get too dirty. I suppose you could say that I approach my interior cleaning with a “preventative maintenance” type of attitude, never letting it ahead of me if you know what I mean.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes - they have a bunch of care and cleaning products and for, one are actually pretty cost comparative to others you ca get at any car parts store.

Quick Reply: a4 interior cleaning