A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

I cant believe this engine still ran! Advice on cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Carbon Build up, misfires, and other issues. The saga of my a6

So I've finally started working on the engine. I removed the upper intake manifold and found a bolt sleeve? On top of the flap on cylinder 3... I'm hoping it only fell out when removing the intake upper but who knows. In addition there is a ton of something feels like corroded rubber or maybe something like plant matter soaked in oil in the bottom.

I know how I'm going to clean the lower intake manifolds and the intake valves, but I've never seen an upper intake so coated in oil and carbon. It seems like a sealed unit so what is the recommended way to clean that thing. Also, what is the best way to clean all this oil and **** off of the top of the block obviously I'll start with the vacuum lol.
look at the pictures I'm genuinely amazed it still starts with how disgusting it is.

the pcv valve was stuck open and covered in soot and seems like oil was going into the intake like crazy. There is alot of parts to replace here. And I havent even gotten to the heads yet.

enjoy the photos

Pcv valve dirty af

Stuff ontop of engine block

Last edited by Tim Baker; 10-07-2018 at 06:28 PM. Reason: change title
Old 09-25-2018, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Dead bugs

I'm gonna say this car must have taken a trip in some water at some point or it sat for a VERY long time. Inside the engine this gunk appears to be dead bugs mixed with oil along with some plant matter and random shriveled electrical tape pieces and just a bunch of crap. Its absolutely disgusting trying to clean.

still not sure how to get all that oil out of the throttle body and upper intake manifold. Its plastic so it doesnt seem safe to soak it with brake cleaner. What's the recommendation? Look at this mess!

Talk about getting your hands dirty.

Talk about getting your hands dirty.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

That carbon buildup looks pretty bad. When I had to replace one of the lower intakes due to a failed vacuum chamber on my '06 A6 Avant, I decided to do a carbon cleaning at the same time since I had to remove the upper intake anyway. At that time, the car had just over 80K miles on it. There was a slight buildup of carbon on the diverter plates, and the intake passages in the lower manifolds. And of coarse, the intake valves as well. After cleaning these surfaces/valves and re-assembly, I now perform a Seafoam treatment thru the suction line of the EVAP valve prior to every oil change. Don't know for certain if this treatment prevents excessive carbon build-up, but I think it helps eliminate excessive buildup.

When you remove fuel rails, don't forget to replace the the upper O-ring seals on the injectors. For cleaning the upper intake, I think the brake cleaner should be OK since it evaporates.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I cant figure out entirely where all this oil came from. It appears the only spot it could have come from is the cylinder block cover that the pcv is attached to part number 06E 103 773c. I'm thinking maybe there is a gasket under it that has corroded or sealant. I'm not sure is it common for these to leak?
the reason I think that it's that ventilation cover is because when I look the whole top of the block is covered in oil but not the top of the ventilation cover...

Old 09-26-2018, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

In the last photo of your second set of pictures there appears to be a saw cut across the manifold and fuel line. Was it that way when you got it or did you have an accident? Or , perhaps, it was deliberate?
Old 09-26-2018, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not sure why it does look like it was cut must have been some dirt. I finally got most of the muck out and am about to remove the lower manifolds. Once I get them done I think I will remove the cover that is on the block that has the pcv valve connected because it appears I have both a major oil leak there as well as oil getting sucked into the air intake so something is definitely not right with it... however no saw cuts thank god lol

Must have been some dirt or a thread because its not there now.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I got the lowers off... It appears I have two cylinders with intake valves open. I am worrid this means the timing has slipped as I thought only 1 should be open at any time but thought I should ask as I'm a novice with engines. The back cylinder on driverside and middle cylinder on passenger.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to replace the oil separator

I am off to go try to find the parts :O

Last edited by Tim Baker; 09-28-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Oh joy another problem

So yet another glaring apparent problem. While moving the coolant line to get to the oil separator I found that the line that should go into the heatercore is completely disconnected and plugged off. This means I'm going to probably need a new heatercore and figure out how the tubing is supposed to go. It's insane how poorly some cars are maintained! The entire heatercore is bypassed. And the whole time I thought it was just the heater control valve broke.
here's the pics

Old 09-26-2018, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I wouldn't give up that quickly. Although the most likely reason to disconnect a heater core is a leak, it would be worth it to pressure test it in place with air. Although my 2008 A6 has been almost problem free, I do feel your pain and a heater core removal is one of the most labor intensive things I can think of. Let us know what you find out.

Quick Reply: I cant believe this engine still ran! Advice on cleaning