A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Rough ride suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough ride suddenly

I’ve been pretty pleased with my 2017 A4 but recently something happened and I can’t explain. A month ago while making a turn I experienced a loud clunk. The sound a tranny make on older cars when you go from reverse to drive and the transmission engages with a clunk. Well this A4 did it taking a left into a driveway. Ever since it seems to drive rough like my old 2006 Honda Accord. Honestly it seems to pick up all the little road variations it didn’t before. Doesn’t seem to ride nearly as smoothly. Any thoughts? Really puzzled.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine often does the clunking thing when slowing down to make a low speed turn and hitting the accelerator again. I think it is just an oddity with the DSG transmission but I might be wrong.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bk6000
Mine often does the clunking thing when slowing down to make a low speed turn and hitting the accelerator again. I think it is just an oddity with the DSG transmission but I might be wrong.
I believe that is entirely possible it could have been that. Per my wife it has occurred twice including the one time while I was driving which over 2 years is not an issue. I have 48,000 on the car so far. One issue it did forget to mention is that the main module that controls on the electronics had an issue once. Navigation failed to work. They thought they needed to replace the module and then determined they could "flash it" that did solve the problem. However replacement in the future could cost $3500. Not a good feeling.

The rough ride is still a stumper. I am going to go test ride a 2017 A4 just like mine this weekend and see if the ride is different than my car riding the same roads one after another. To me, driving it now, if it drove like this at the dealer, I would never have purchased. It's one of the big reasons I bought the car. It's that bad. Tires are not the issue since on perfect new pavement it's as smooth as glass riding. It's the minor cracks that it picks up that the car used to glide over with nary a hint of a crack. Really baffling. If if is significantly different I'll take it to the dealer and see if they can figure out the problem. Per Mark Watney in the Martian movie, "In the face of overwhelming odds, I'm left with only one option, I'm gonna have to science the sh-t out of this." or in this case test the dealer mechanics abilities. I'll definitely post what I find out.

Last edited by pdaugh; 10-15-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:29 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Which suspension does your car have? Sport, normal, or one of the adaptive ones?
Old 10-16-2018, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Following... curious what the dealer techs find. I have a sport suspension and can definitely feel more than I could with my previous non-sport suspension cars. From my less than a year of ownership, i’ve learned that this car is like a little diva- super sensitive to things like proper positioning of the wheel on the hub, properly torqued lug bolts, etc. if something is a bit off, you will feel it in the steering wheel. What wheels do you have?
Old 10-16-2018, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm going to the dealer this weekend to test drive another 2017 A4 and see what happens. I hope to heck I'm not dreaming this rough ride. It would be totally embarrassing.

Last edited by pdaugh; 10-16-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-16-2018, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VM
Which suspension does your car have? Sport, normal, or one of the adaptive ones?
Just what comes standard with the Premium Plus 2017 A4
Old 10-16-2018, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vkamnyev
Following... curious what the dealer techs find. I have a sport suspension and can definitely feel more than I could with my previous non-sport suspension cars. From my less than a year of ownership, i’ve learned that this car is like a little diva- super sensitive to things like proper positioning of the wheel on the hub, properly torqued lug bolts, etc. if something is a bit off, you will feel it in the steering wheel. What wheels do you have?
I have the factory standard 18" wheels for the premium plus model I believe
Old 10-16-2018, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I picked up my Premium plus with sport suspension and 18s in March. Now that the weather is getting colder I'm noticing that it seems to ride a little rough. Once the car warms up a little things smooth out, tires quiet down. Call me crazy. My wife noticed it too. Asked me why it was getting noisy yesterday.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

As the weather gets colder, tire pressure drops ( 1 PSI for every 10 degrees of temp change). I have noticed with this and all my earlier Audi's that they seem to ride smoother when at max recommended pressure or even a few PSI more. When the pressure drops, I feel more pounding and vibration through the steering wheel even though this seems counter logical. I guess these cars like a firmer tire.

Quick Reply: Rough ride suddenly