Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2 audi vehicles key fob issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 audi vehicles key fob issue

we have a 2018 a5 and a month ago picked up a 2018 q5. we now sometimes experience issues with dual key fobs, mostly related to entry into vehicles. car ignition will sometimes freeze and shut down for maybe 30 seconds before clearing.
we sometimes also have an issue with cell phones when we are both in a vehicle. this only happens in q5. only because ive had the a5 for a year but my wife doesnt carry her a5 fob .

also sometimes get auto on windshield wiper activated when no visible sign of moisture, and check surrounding alert when surroundings are good. since we picked it up from showroom, the foot sweep feature on the rear hatch has not worked.
i had it in audi service last week, they informed me they are waiting on a software update, but have no idea when its coming. had they simply told me that when i scheduled service there would have been no need to bring it in.
i would think that feature should have been checked before leaving the factory and the dealership before even getting to me. but it wasnt it was sent out not working, and not knowing when it would work.

the more they put into these cars the more chances for failure. and they are in competition to keep adding more. software or technical problems have now replaced mechanical problems.

i dont understand why a year into production my q5 was built in late july 2018 it would even need a software update. what happens when these cars are out of warranty. software updates will perhaps be common and costly . again todays auto world they have got the mechanics down but now the technology is a concern. any dual audi owners have any issues with dual key fobs. or does anyone else have a failed foot sweep feature ? im wondering if these issues are specific to my vehicle, or others have experienced similar issues.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you 100% sure it is a dual key fob problem? It might be just a coincidence. It sounds to me that there is something wrong with one of your control modules and your dealer is too lazy to chase it down. I would try another dealer if it is an option.

Last edited by The G Man; 10-19-2018 at 04:17 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:52 PM
Audi Driver & Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

This has nothing to do with "dual key fobs." What makes you think that is the cause?

Cell phones: Set a primary and secondary phone in the Connection Manager.
Wipers: Turn the stalk to the "off" position when it's not raining.
Rear hatch: I have to kick twice for it to work, right under the left center parking sensor seems to be the sweet spot for me, with my left foot.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:56 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

As far as the rear hatch — while I have a Coupe — what works for me 100% of the tIme is to slowly “kick” under the dead center of the bumper and completely withdraw my foot from under the bumper. There’s about a second delay and the trunk opens.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I dont have this problem and I have a 2018 S5 and 2018 Q5.

Theres very rarely software updates for cars after the first couple of years... doubt it will be "frequent and costly"

A bunch of hyperbolic "these cars have problems" when you have a couple little problems with your car that are more quirks than anything else. The ignition freezing is the only one I would call a real problem.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Never had any issues with 4 cars in the garage, all 2018 models : Q7, A5 Cab, S5 and Allroad. And if you think about it, dealers will have hundreds of these jammed in one place and they don’t have issues like you described. It’s more likely a hardware issue... like others suggested.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The A5/S5 SB's hand free rear hatch system is one of the easiest to operate, I remember our first Q5, we had to do the soul train dance to get it open