A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's my turn... Please Check Navigation DVD

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default It's my turn... Please Check Navigation DVD

So, it's been working on and off for over many years now, this time it started to happen more often, while driving on and off on its own. I ordered a unit from China, brand new with the same brand and model, it would take a month for $120. Since people keep recommending cleaning, so I took it out and clean it. Didn't even know where to start... So, stop telling people to clean the darn thing, I did and here is how it went. Anyhow, since I got my CarPlay to work, I could careless about the primitive navigation from Audi, but too late to cancel the order.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-17-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree about the ancient NAV on all cars. With smartphones, no reason to have factory NAV. The only time I use the factory Audi NAV is when there is a big storm when 4G is spotty in rural areas.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Yes, in car nav and entertainment is wholly obsolete these days with modern mobile technology.

The combo of wireless charging and wireless CarPlay is the key. I don’t think any OEM has made this available yet which I find strange.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

You know, I use the factory nav often enough, I like how it plays through the speakers and the display is in a convenient location. Most of the time, old as it is, it works just fine. I use Waze if I suspect traffic will end up meaning I need to get rerouted.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Originally Posted by Jack88
You know, I use the factory nav often enough, I like how it plays through the speakers and the display is in a convenient location. Most of the time, old as it is, it works just fine. I use Waze if I suspect traffic will end up meaning I need to get rerouted.
You know you can easily have the voice directions from your phone play over the car speakers using normal hands free Bluetooth, right?

Last edited by dvs_dave; 10-17-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The hands free bluetooth that doesn't work in my car? I can make it work with the aux jack run through to my center armrest compartment, but that still leaves out the directions on the gauge cluster I like to see. It might not be pretty and it might be cumbersome, but often enough, it actually has advantages that to me overcome the disadvantages.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

I don’t know about the Bluetooth in your particular car, but the standard factory phone Bluetooth is all that’s needed to get smartphone gps directions played through the car speakers.

The onboard nav system works fine, but being 15yr+ old tech, it’s just nowhere near as capable or convenient to operate as a modern smartphone. Add in the lane guidance you also get from a smartphone, and that thoroughly knocks the nav info you get in the DIS into a cocked hat too.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

But the nav in my 2004 A8 is way better than my wife's 05 Envoy, my 01 Beetle or even my 2017 Ford Fusion free (company) vehicle which have no navigation system.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Remember there is no factory bluetooth in early D3's. Intro'ed in mid 2005 when they killed off the OnStar fitment the early ones came with. I think Jack's was a retrofit by Misha. Many owners here have the pre-Bluetooth early ones, and have throughout the forum's life.

On the subject, it works fine for me. 80 or 90% functionality at 15 years old isn't bad. Have a few iterations of MMI across D3, D4 and Q5. Traffic coming thru wireless and related hotspot is Q5 or D4 implementation. Waze, Audi's system (pulls from Intrix in the D4 era), and CalTrans native site all seem to have their ups and downs data reliability wise. In particular, none seem to use predictive/time of day logic and just wait to react to daily slow downs that are often there 30 minutes or so before they show up graphically and you are already sitting in the mess. But just knowing local traffic patterns and any map, plus maybe some basic accident info like even from the radio in the old days honestly is in the same zone of useful data to me on the SF Bay Area main corridors. When it really matters and I have a co pilot, I have them cross check data from several sources real time. They sometimes do not agree, so its a crap shoot which to rely on. At that point I go again w/ local experience set which again nets to discounted value to supposed data streams.

Agreed Car Play/Auto are ultimately the better way to go, but that also requires the car players to loosen up on who "owns" the interface and the data--a continuing titanic fight behind the scenes that delays implementation in a lot of cases.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-18-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Remember there is no factory bluetooth in early D3's. Intro'ed in mid 2005 when they killed off the OnStar fitment the early ones came with. I think Jack's was a retrofit by Misha. Many owners here have the pre-Bluetooth early ones, and have throughout the forum's life.
Yep, it does have the retrofit, but it stopped working when I installed the satellite radio. I haven't spent a lot of time trying to figure out why, and honestly, after checking the wires, I really don't know where to go from here. Lost the back up camera too, but not the sensors, also a retrofit job.

Quick Reply: It's my turn... Please Check Navigation DVD