A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Scratch in bumper

Old 10-16-2018, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Scratch in bumper

I discovered this scratch on the front bumper today. I know it's small and out of the way, but very disappointed that someone did this. The bottom two marks are fairly shallow, but the top one is a bit deeper. What is the best way for me to get this repaired without an ordeal? Can it be fixed without a repaint of the whole bumper? Or should I just ignore it and move on with my life? I don't want to make it worse.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is definitely not worth a whole front bumper repaint lol. Can't tell where this area is, but looks like it's the plastic and not metal area since the color coat is even gone and you can see the white plastic under? Not sure about such a small spot fix, but once it is fixed and you're worried about stuff like this or rock chips, a clear bra over the front might ease your mind..
Old 10-16-2018, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobaBlue
That is definitely not worth a whole front bumper repaint lol. Can't tell where this area is, but looks like it's the plastic and not metal area since the color coat is even gone and you can see the white plastic under? Not sure about such a small spot fix, but once it is fixed and you're worried about stuff like this or rock chips, a clear bra over the front might ease your mind..
In the end it's not a big deal, was just wondering if there was a good spot fix for something like this. Definitely don't want to do something like repaint the whole bumper. No fun to get the first ding!
Old 10-16-2018, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like it's only the clear coat. Good quality scratch remover with a good polish should remove that.

YouTube it how to remove a scratch.. You will see a lot of videos out there.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I haven't used it, but friends tell me Dr. Color Chip (something like that) is great for these kind of scratches because you rub and blend it in, rather than brushing on a thick blob of touch-up paint. It might be worth checking out.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

I have used Dr Color Chip on a couple of vehicles, but not the A4 yet. It works pretty well on horizontal surfaces, but not as great on vertical. Your scratches look discolored and have some depth to them, so Dr Color Chip would probably improve them but not make them invisible. The videos make it look easy to apply, but it takes some practice to get it right and you may have to do it a couple of times before you are satisfied. Err on the side of buffing off the extra paint too early until you get the hang of it and have the courage to let it dry a little longer before buffing.

Last edited by SDakota; 10-21-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SDakota
I have used Dr Color Chip on a couple of vehicles, but not the A4 yet. It works pretty well on horizontal surfaces, but not as great on vertical. Your scratches look discolored and have some depth to them, so Dr Color Chip would probably improve them but not make them invisible. The videos make it look easy to apply, but it takes some practice to get it right and you may have to do it a couple of times before you are satisfied. Err on the side of buffing off the extra paint too early until you get the hang of it and have the courage to let it dry a little longer before buffing.
I agree.
Dr. colorschip is a good idea if u don’t want to repaint the entire panel and just mask the spot. It will still be visible by you but it will get rid of the glaring defect. I’d say get some dr. Colorchip on it and move on. I remember I was like you when I got my first scratch. Now, thousands of scratches later, I don’t care. It isn’t in your hands.