Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 TDI-Hesitation

Old 10-17-2018, 03:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 TDI-Hesitation

Hi Folks,

Just bought a 2015 Q7 TDI after the emissions fix. Still have factory warranty with an added CPO. Only 70,000 km. I'm experiencing hesitation around the 20-30kmh range. Just before it shifts and sometimes just after. The dealership where I bought it said it was because the transmission temperature hasn't warmed up. I don't believe that. Has anyone experienced this or is experiencing this?
Thanks for any feedback.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, and your dealer is correct. Doesn’t make it right, but that’s the fact. The transmission does not get fully warmed up until after the engine temp gauge shows the the engine is warmed up. Mine dances around trying to decide on a gear before it’s fully warmed up. Just another one of the negatives associated with the “fix”.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 10-17-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I suspect it's not actually the transmission which has to warm up.

It is more likely it is the shift points have been changed to reduce emissions until the engine is fully warmed up. It probably has several maps for the transmission depending on engine temp, exhaust gas temp before and after the cats and before and after the DPF etc... and many other factors and they are all linked to the actual emissions the engine produces.

None of the emission control devices work well until critical temperatures are reached. For example, the DPF dosen't work well until an EGT of at least 300c is reached.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the replies. Ed that sounds about right. I took the car to another dealership and they said exactly what you have stated. They asked me to monitor the rpm when this occurs. Although this is intermittent, this predominantly happens just before a shift at around 1800rpm and then sometimes after a shift at 1200 rpm before the next up shift. No issue under heavy throttle, but more so under light acceleration which is the way I drive.

I suspect they may try to reflash the shift points to see if this makes a difference. Wondering if there is anything else they can do.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

you can reflash the TCM back to original mapping out of your own pocket..
Old 10-20-2018, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
you can reflash the TCM back to original mapping out of your own pocket..
How to do that, pray tell?

Old 10-20-2018, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

take your TCM out and send it to yrk2.7t@curbside with some money.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 10-20-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
take your TCM out and send it to yrk2.7t@curbside with some money.
Thanks. Can't do it, as the Q7 is my daily driver.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

To the OP, I would really recommend changing the fuel filter. It is inexpensive (+/- $35) and you likely don't know when/if it was changed last so that alone could be the impetus to throw a new one on.
I can tell you with absolute certainty when its time for me to change mine as I start seeing these kinds of symptoms! Swap it out and it's like a brand new day!
Old 10-23-2018, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DoubleBayou
To the OP, I would really recommend changing the fuel filter. It is inexpensive (+/- $35) and you likely don't know when/if it was changed last so that alone could be the impetus to throw a new one on.
I can tell you with absolute certainty when its time for me to change mine as I start seeing these kinds of symptoms! Swap it out and it's like a brand new day!
Unfortunately, this is not necessarily true for all after the "fix" TDI's. My fuel filter was changed just before the "fix", so I know exactly when it was changed; and my tranny stumbles all over itself with light to moderate acceleration before the engine and tranny are fully warmed up. Now that the weather is getting cooler and it takes longer to warm up, the stumbles are even more prevalent.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 10-23-2018 at 03:48 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q7 TDI-Hesitation