A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

I'm back!

Old 10-18-2018, 07:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm back!

It's been about 7 years since I've been on these boards. I traded my B5 for a V8 Touareg which was recently wrecked.

I took the insurance money and picked up a 2009 A4 2.0T.

So far I think I like it. A couple things done by the PO aren't high on the list of things I'm going to keep (specifically a lingering smell from a non-cigarette substance...).

Going to try to get some new tires tomorrow, and an oil change.

Current things on the list to fix...
1. HVAC flapper motors, one seems to not be operations, have half cold, and half hot in the cabin (with only single zone climate control)
2. Passenger door will not unlock with key fob, or from unlock buttons. I can get it open from the inside though.
3. Passenger door lock/un-lock buttons, when I pushed them the switch seemed to fall apart (oh no!)

Some things it doesn't have that I already miss from my touareg:
1. Lock buttons on the door handles to lock the car
2. Auto un-lock convinience as I approach the card
3. Simple HVAC controls. The new control is kinda neat and fun to play with, but the interface is goofy for something that should be super simple....

Other than that, the body is in great shape, minor rock chips in the hood, but no visible door dings, and only minor scratches here and there....

I will say, some of the material quality has gone down hill from the B5 days. Specifically the window switches. They feel super cheap.

We'll see how much I like it after I get some fresh rubber under it, and clean oil in the pan.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wholsea-Audi
It's been about 7 years since I've been on these boards. I traded my B5 for a V8 Touareg which was recently wrecked.

I took the insurance money and picked up a 2009 A4 2.0T.

So far I think I like it. A couple things done by the PO aren't high on the list of things I'm going to keep (specifically a lingering smell from a non-cigarette substance...).

Going to try to get some new tires tomorrow, and an oil change.

Current things on the list to fix...
1. HVAC flapper motors, one seems to not be operations, have half cold, and half hot in the cabin (with only single zone climate control)
2. Passenger door will not unlock with key fob, or from unlock buttons. I can get it open from the inside though.
3. Passenger door lock/un-lock buttons, when I pushed them the switch seemed to fall apart (oh no!)

Some things it doesn't have that I already miss from my touareg:
1. Lock buttons on the door handles to lock the car
2. Auto un-lock convinience as I approach the card
3. Simple HVAC controls. The new control is kinda neat and fun to play with, but the interface is goofy for something that should be super simple....

Other than that, the body is in great shape, minor rock chips in the hood, but no visible door dings, and only minor scratches here and there....

I will say, some of the material quality has gone down hill from the B5 days. Specifically the window switches. They feel super cheap.

We'll see how much I like it after I get some fresh rubber under it, and clean oil in the pan.
2009 A4 2.0T
How many miles on the clock and do you know about its oil consumption history?
Old 10-19-2018, 02:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sasikals26
2009 A4 2.0T
How many miles on the clock and do you know about its oil consumption history?
109k Miles. Oil consumption unknown. I will say I can see the valve cover gasket appears to be leaking, and there is a distinct smell of coolant up front.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

According to the Carfax, the dealership did an oil consumption test around 51,000 miles. Doesn't say the rings were replaced, just that the test was conducted.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sooo.... after one fill up, and 2 qt of oil, I took a bath on the trade and picked up a newer Passat.

I may end up back in an Audi at some point, but for now, I’m dub-in it...
Old 10-26-2018, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Wholsea-Audi
Sooo.... after one fill up, and 2 qt of oil, I took a bath on the trade and picked up a newer Passat.

I may end up back in an Audi at some point, but for now, I’m dub-in it...
That has to be a record for fastest "hello" and "goodbye" I've ever seen. IMHO, anyone who buy a pre-2012 2.0T engine without checking for leaks and oil consumption should either be getting a killer deal or just hasn't done the basic homework to stay clear of these motors. Awhile back I was about to pick-up a car such as this, but I knew full well it consumed oil like a sailor consumes alcohol while on shore leave, so I new I'd be looking at a rebuild almost immediately. I decided it wasn't worth my time/effort.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
That has to be a record for fastest "hello" and "goodbye" I've ever seen. IMHO, anyone who buy a pre-2012 2.0T engine without checking for leaks and oil consumption should either be getting a killer deal or just hasn't done the basic homework to stay clear of these motors. Awhile back I was about to pick-up a car such as this, but I knew full well it consumed oil like a sailor consumes alcohol while on shore leave, so I new I'd be looking at a rebuild almost immediately. I decided it wasn't worth my time/effort.
I thought I had, did lots of searches just never hit the boards here directly. I even found a "what to look for" source on this site. Should have just signed up and asked around.

Either way, I ended up with a 3.6 Passat which IMHO is way nicer. The only thing I miss is the AWD....