Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Remote Car Starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote Car Starter

Hi all -

As winter is approaching us, I wanted to look into getting a remote starter for my A5 (if possible using my Audi key fob). I've seen videos of people pressing the lock or unlock button 3 times to turn the car on.

How would I go about doing this?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:35 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Find a really good shop that has GREAT references and is willing to share them - and check them out.

I know Directed Electronics (DEI) make a remote start - as does CompuStar — But I’m not sure if they have the ability to do what you are looking to do with the factory remote. I have seen an older S6 with the system you are describing but I don’t know who makes it.

Start with a trusted local Installer and do your research on their references.

Post up your results if you get it accomplished.

Last edited by Nikon1; 10-19-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:03 PM
Club AutoUnion

Actually, Directed Electronics make a remote start that you are asking about BUT your maximum distance is limited by the factory remote range.

Another option is to get a Remote Start that has an app for your smartphone which allows you to remote start your car from ANYWHERE you have cellular coverage. Know that these systems require a contract that supports the cellular connection in your car, so that your phone can communicate with your car. The great thing about these systems is it is a 2 way communication between your car and your cell phone.

In that case both companies in my post above have these systems available. A word of caution: IF you are leasing your car you should think twice as these systems are anything but “plug and play.” There is a major install requiring a lot of customization so installing AND removing the system is major bucks.

Good Luck.

— John

Last edited by Nikon1; 10-19-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

I've seen the Viper (app based) in action, and it works great. If I were in the market, that is what I'd personally go with.

With that said, what was recommended above is your best bet. The installer is far more important than system A vs B. Any of the top brands will make a good setup.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Actually, Directed Electronics make a remote start that you are asking about BUT your maximum distance is limited by the factory remote range.

Another option is to get a Remote Start that has an app for your smartphone which allows you to remote start your car from ANYWHERE you have cellular coverage. Know that these systems require a contract that supports the cellular connection in your car, so that your phone can communicate with your car. The great thing about these systems is it is a 2 way communication between your car and your cell phone.

In that case both companies in my post above have these systems available. A word of caution: IF you are leasing your car you should think twice as these systems are anything but “plug and play.” There is a major install requiring a lot of customization so installing AND removing the system is major bucks.

Good Luck.

— John
So, if I have a technician install this will my car now be deemed "modified?" Therefore, it may mess with my warranty if anything goes wrong in the car?
Old 10-20-2018, 07:20 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by conharoo
So, if I have a technician install this will my car now be deemed "modified?" Therefore, it may mess with my warranty if anything goes wrong in the car?
That really depends on your dealer. We had a remote starter / alarm system installed in my wife’s Lexus about 10 years ago by a local shop that has always done my work — and they are meticulous and very good. However, anytime something went wrong with her car the first thing the dealer blamed was the aftermarket system. Even when the TPMS system went squirrelly, they blamed the aftermarket system / installer.

Talk to your dealer and and ask them who they might recommend or use and would the aftermarket installation create warranty issues? Best way to prevent this situation is to ask up front — but I would NOT have the dealer farm it out to their installer as they’ll probably add 25 or 30% on to the actual installer’s cost.

My previous advice was more directed to if you buy or lease your car. Just know, if you are leasing you are, in essence, installing something that you’ll never get the money back from.

Good Luck.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by conharoo
it will only mess with your warranty if the failure is deemed a direct result of the modification. for example, it could be considered a modification if you had aftermarket wipers,, however if your transmission failed your wipers had nothing to do with it.

I've always had a compustar in my last 4 cars & have had no problems with warrenty
Old 10-22-2018, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a local shop (Car Toys) who was supposed to be very reputable install a SmartPhone remote start in our Toyota 4Runner in 2013. They fried the entire electrical system and tried to say that the 4Runner was the probelm, we were at 35k miles still in warranty so I took it to Toyota and they said no way obviously. After they had it a week I went in to see what the deal was and couldn't believe my eyes, the dash, seats, carpet you name it was out of the car and wires were everywhere. The Toyota Advisor made a deal with us to just trade it in and get a new 4runner at the same deal we had bought this one, they were going to need to take Car Toys to court he said.

I spoke to him after a month and he said they finally fixed it by having a regional Toyota Electirician rewire the 4Runner with a new master harness, this was my last time ever having something aftermarket like this installed!
Old 10-22-2018, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don’t see why AOA can’t offer remote start here in America where it is legal. I know it’s not allowed over sea’s but I would be willing to pay extra for it.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Most installers will make you sacrifice a key in order to get the remote start working. In past models it wasnt worth the sacrifice...

Quick Reply: Remote Car Starter