Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

OEM Pirelli P Zero Mileage Disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Default OEM Pirelli P Zero Mileage Disappointment

Yesterday when I swapped out wheels to switch over to the winter set I was astounded to see that the OEM Pirelli P Zeros have hit or exceeded the wear indicators. If the 29,300 miles indicated on the odometer was in fact what I got for mileage I would probably be OK with that. However when I deduct for the change over to the dedicated snows I use each winter the actual miles I got out iof them was less than 18,730 miles.

Luckily I never liked those tires so it gives me an excuse to get a set of Michelins on next spring.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

stop doing 4 wheel burnouts! LOl Jk!

actually 20k miles is not bad at all, remember these are ZR rated all season tires, so their usual life span is anywhere from 10-40k miles. 10k being the low end and 40k being the high. If you go with a V rated touring tires, like the P7s you can easily get 40k+ on them.

I've had tires on my P-car that lasted 10k miles (BS S-04 PP), they usually last about 20k-ish so i would say they are normal.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had the same experience with the OEM Pirelli P Zeros. Only got about 15k out of mine before they measured 3/32nds and were getting noisy on the highway.
Decided on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S...much better. I also run the same winter tires as you do
Old 11-13-2018, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Yeah the noise had become bordeline ridiculous too!
Old 11-13-2018, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Z-rated, sticky compound summer performance tires on a 4000+ lbs car will generally do that. You'll get more mileage from a touring or all-season tire, but also worse handling and stopping. It's all a trade-off. The P-Zero depending on which specific variant you have is definitely getting long in the tooth. There is a newer generation, I've gone through 4 sets on my RS5. Each one got between 10k and 12k miles, but it was not a bad performance tire. Michelin is definitely untouched at the moment with their Pilot Sport 4S, which is what I currently have on the car. The 4S is on a different level all-together. My car has never driven this well before. I've had the Pilot Super Sport in between, but they were shot around 12k miles due to a bad alignment, so not sure how much miles I would have gotten from them. But close to 20k miles is not bad for a summer performance tire on a heavy car. Likely you won't see much more with a different summer performance tire, even a Michelin.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm at 34k miles on my Pirelli P Zeroes and right side is at 2/32" and left side of my car is 4/32". Is the consensus the Pilot Sport 4S is the best tire to go with? I was thinking of replacing with Michelin MXM4 or Conti DWS06.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by BobaPanda
I'm at 34k miles on my Pirelli P Zeroes and right side is at 2/32" and left side of my car is 4/32". Is the consensus the Pilot Sport 4S is the best tire to go with? I was thinking of replacing with Michelin MXM4 or Conti DWS06.
The MXM4 and DWS06 are all-season tires. The MXM4 is a Grand Touring all-season and the DWS06 is an Ultra High Performance all-season tire. The PS4S is a Max Performance summer tire. So those are three very different tires for different purposes. You'll first have to decide what purpose you are buying the tires for. Are you looking for a more comfortable all year round grand touring experience, a more performance oriented all year round experience or maximum summer performance. Summer tires like the PS4S are not meant for temps below 45F and don't have any business on snow covered roads, whereas all-season can handle light snow. I'm guessing since you had the P Zero all this time, you are not driving to Lake Tahoe or the mountains during the winter and if you want the best handling road performance tire that would currently be the PS4S. But an A6 isn't exactly a sports car, so the PS4S is probably overkill and if you do consider going to Tahoe or other wintry places, then an all-season will give you more options. A grand touring tire is good for long distance highway cruising.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

On an S5 I also got only 18000 miles from the OEM P Zeros. I have Pilot Super Sports on it now and at 18000 miles THEY look great. They look good for 30k! Another good summer tire is the Continental Extreme Contact Sport. (formerly DW) Have had multiple sets of them on the TTs and really like them. Especially in the rain.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

I typically get 20k miles out of my summer dedicated tires. I just finished my first season with a set of Pilot Sport 4S. They are far superior to the OEM Pirelli PZero and an improvement over the Super Sports. You won’t regret going with a set of Sport 4s.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Not sure what people are expecting from a summer tire? They are not known for their longevity, due to a number of factors, not the least of which is the soft compound. ~20k is exceptional, especially on a car as heavy as an A6. You won't do better on any summer tire, and likely will get significantly worse.

With that said, DWS06 or Pilot Sport AS3+ would be my choice. Own both, and they are absolutely fantastic for all weather use, save for super deep snow (a foot +)

Quick Reply: OEM Pirelli P Zero Mileage Disappointment