A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky windshield 😡

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Leaky windshield 😡

So, tonight I get in the car after it's been raining, only to have water drip on the back of my hand as I place my cup in the cup holder... first off I think it is my sunroof drains or something, check all that the best I could, didn't see any glaring issues. I do a little light googling and find out that apparently it's a known issue with the D4's?

I still struggle to believe that it could be my windshield on a $115k car, and that I would look into my sunroof a little more when I get home. On my way home my curiosity gets the better of me and I start feeling where the headliner is wet, and start gently pushing on the windshield, sure enough when I get around the center roof console I start hearing wind noise.... guess I am going to take it to an auto glass place in the next couple of days (no major rain forecast, thankfully) and get them to pull and repair it. One question I have is will my ACC system need recalibration following the reseal? And if so, how much am I roughly looking at for the dealer to do the calibration?

Thanks for all your help and letting me vent a little!
Old 11-13-2018, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Yes, known issue.

FWIW, I had the windshield changed on my 2015 S8 due to a rock hit. It has all the gadgets including night vision, ACC, side assist, 360 cameras, high beam assist, auto braking, etc. No warnings or alarms post glass change, not codes and everything works fine to this day. Thus, I never bothered to take it to dealer to check any calibration.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check with dealership about a recall, I doubt there is one it can’t hurt. You can check recalls online.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Twglasgow
Check with dealership about a recall, I doubt there is one it can’t hurt. You can check recalls online.
That's a good idea, I will have to check into that!

Edit: I don't see anything anywhere about a recall... and for everyone's info, Safelight do not do reseals, they only seem interested in stuff that includes product, and not just labor (wonder why that is ?) I have found a local shop that is going to look at what is needed tomorrow though, so not all bad, just need the rain to stay away now ??

Last edited by Jibsymalone; 11-14-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Jibsymalone
That's a good idea, I will have to check into that!

Edit: I don't see anything anywhere about a recall... and for everyone's info, Safelight do not do reseals, they only seem interested in stuff that includes product, and not just labor (wonder why that is ?) I have found a local shop that is going to look at what is needed tomorrow though, so not all bad, just need the rain to stay away now ??
I am not aware of a recall. But file a report via the NHTSA web site. Talk up any safety issues--steamed up windshield, driver distraction, risk it could pop out in accident, etc.--since most likely recall path is a safety related one. Save all receipts in case a recall ever happens, in which case you typically get reimbursed.

BTW, "plan B" if you happen to have a rock hit or something with a crack or star is turn it in as an insurance claim and go for a new windshield--if you have collision/comprehensive. I'm guessing you don't have glass damage present, but flagging just in case. If you do by chance, focus on the glass, not the leak since leak/gasketing/sealant gets fixed with new install anyway. Comprehensive covers rock hits, thus in my case I paid my $100 and got a brand new dealer glass windshield for my S8. Had my sensors been whack, those would have been part of claim too. Comprehensive claims typically don't assess fault type points either as far as raising your rates.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-14-2018 at 04:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
urs6_ma (02-19-2023)
Old 11-14-2018, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good to know and thank you for pointing that out! I do not see any recalls either.... I still find it hard to believe that they are still having issues with this? Not like Audi at all...
Old 11-17-2018, 04:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2013 A8L is with Audi Chantilly right now for diagnosis of same. Last weekend I had a leak and could push the glass out 1/8" by hand across the entire passenger top side. I tried to reseal it with 3M urethane; no dice. Leaked on first encounter with rain / snow this week. Waiting on a callback from dealer. My local Indy said it's unlikely to get truly fixed except at dealer due to ACC. I didn't find any factory recognition of the issue through searching online either.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had a local glass shop pull and reseal mine, they broke the window when pulling it, and have put a new, non OEM one back in. No issues seem to have surfaced with any of the drivers aids, the only thing I have yet to test is the automatic windshield wipers. I'm still not sure about not having a non OEM windshield in there yet, the replacement looks good, all cut outs line up, no waviness, or any other signs of a quality issue, but I would rather see four rings on there than PGW.... part of me wants to let sleeping dogs lie, for now at least. The leak should (hopefully) be fixed and everything is still working fine...

I can't believe the problem is as widespread as it is, and with the amount of equipment in these areas, that Audi isn't even seeming to acknowledge there is an issue....
Old 11-17-2018, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Audi and Windshield Problems

Originally Posted by Jibsymalone
I had a local glass shop pull and reseal mine, they broke the window when pulling it, and have put a new, non OEM one back in. No issues seem to have surfaced with any of the drivers aids, the only thing I have yet to test is the automatic windshield wipers. I'm still not sure about not having a non OEM windshield in there yet, the replacement looks good, all cut outs line up, no waviness, or any other signs of a quality issue, but I would rather see four rings on there than PGW.... part of me wants to let sleeping dogs lie, for now at least. The leak should (hopefully) be fixed and everything is still working fine...

I can't believe the problem is as widespread as it is, and with the amount of equipment in these areas, that Audi isn't even seeming to acknowledge there is an issue....

They certainly do NOT acknowledge the problem. I was told they would not cover my leaky windshield on a car still under warranty. They suggested I go through my car insurance. My dealer said Audi would not reimburse them for a repair/replace. I find this hard to believe.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jiria
They certainly do NOT acknowledge the problem. I was told they would not cover my leaky windshield on a car still under warranty. They suggested I go through my car insurance. My dealer said Audi would not reimburse them for a repair/replace. I find this hard to believe.
Lol, I was replying to your post in your thread as you were replying to mine...

Quick Reply: Leaky windshield 😡