TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Help me, help hubby, save my butt :)

Old 11-14-2018, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me, help hubby, save my butt :)

Good evening all. My hubby just got a new to him 2016 TTS about 6 weeks ago. We live in the Mid Atlantic area and like a good pampering owner he's been on the look out for a set of winter tires and wheels.

There was a set on Ebay that the seller was asking $1200 for, with under 3k miles on them. So he asked me what I thought and I basically didn't respond because it's a hell of a lot of money to me. So long story short they sold today and hubby is now peeved that I didn't give him feedback to buy or whatever.

I feel bad. I know it's a good deal, moreso now that I have looked around at new snow tires for the 19" rims he has.

IS there any chance that anyone has a better was to equipe this car for winter that won't cost $1200+ and or in some way help me save face with my now very peeved spouse??

Thanks for any and all help.

X
Old 11-14-2018, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I’ve been searching too:
audizine and audiworld classifieds
golfmk7.com forum classifieds
vwvortex.com classifieds
and craigslist
also, open your search to 18” wheels too if you have stock brakes (they should have a TTS sticker on them)
stock 18” tire sizes are 245/40/18 and also maybe 235/45/18

Another option is VW wheels, specifically Golf R and GTI wheels. They are narrow so he can buy some spacers to spruce up the look. You can buy Audi center caps, they’ll fit.
what is your zip code? I’ll do a quick craigslist search for you.
rick

Last edited by ourlee; 11-14-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Hard to reply without details

Originally Posted by Xctrygirl
Good evening all. My hubby just got a new to him 2016 TTS about 6 weeks ago. We live in the Mid Atlantic area and like a good pampering owner he's been on the look out for a set of winter tires and wheels.

There was a set on Ebay that the seller was asking $1200 for, with under 3k miles on them. So he asked me what I thought and I basically didn't respond because it's a hell of a lot of money to me. So long story short they sold today and hubby is now peeved that I didn't give him feedback to buy or whatever.

I feel bad. I know it's a good deal, moreso now that I have looked around at new snow tires for the 19" rims he has.

IS there any chance that anyone has a better was to equipe this car for winter that won't cost $1200+ and or in some way help me save face with my now very peeved spouse??

Thanks for any and all help.

X
However some thoughts. Buying used tires and rims sight unseen is always a crapshoot. Is it REALLY under 3K miles? Have the tire sidewalls ever been curbed? Do the rims have cracks, bent, rash? How old are the tires? Assuming you are mounting snow tires and not all season, it is highly recommended that you use a smaller size rim than 19" that clears the brakes which allows you to mount a narrower tire. Narrower is always better in snow.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
However some thoughts. Buying used tires and rims sight unseen is always a crapshoot. Is it REALLY under 3K miles? Have the tire sidewalls ever been curbed? Do the rims have cracks, bent, rash? How old are the tires? Assuming you are mounting snow tires and not all season, it is highly recommended that you use a smaller size rim than 19" that clears the brakes which allows you to mount a narrower tire. Narrower is always better in snow.
There were a lot of pics of the wheels they were very clean looking. The tires only had 2600 miles and you could still see the little (uhhhh *****?? Tails? bits of rubber on new tires that stand up).

I am familiar that if you have winter wheels that they would be 18". But in our case, and it looks from a quick search, that many other folks do actually use their 19's in the winter also.

X
Old 11-14-2018, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

All this is true, after 2 disappointing craigslist trips, I won’t travel without gauge pics and a date of manufacture pic. If Hubby is open to it, the most economical way to do this is buy some tires on Black Friday from discounttiredirect.com, cash in some sweet rebates for yourself and mount the new snows on his existing wheels. Then buy him some lightweight Neuspeed wheels for summer.

Last edited by ourlee; 11-14-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think you’re playing possum OP
Old 11-14-2018, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ourlee
All this is true, after 2 disappointing craigslist trips, I won’t travel without gauge pics and a date of manufacture pic. If Hubby is open to it, the most economical way to do this is buy some tires on Black Friday from discounttiredirect.com, cash in some sweet rebates for yourself and mount the new snows on his exiting wheels. Then buy him some lightweight Neuspeed wheels for summer.
Well that won't work....

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/f...erTires&page=0

Not playing possum. Very much in the dog house and prefer not to stay there!!!

X
Old 11-14-2018, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I talked to them 4 times the past week or so. All the snows are in stock and ready to ship. If I can’t score c list tires by Black Friday I’m buying some Michelins ice3.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ourlee
I talked to them 4 times the past week or so. All the snows are in stock and ready to ship.
I can call tomorrow but with their own website saying "out of stock" on all 6 types in the right size, you can understand my confusion.

X
Old 11-14-2018, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Call them��

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me, help hubby, save my butt :)