A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

First snow storm of the season...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default First snow storm of the season...

Well, as usual the weather reports were off and the snow much heavier than predicted. Soooo, in NE NJ this afternoon the temps dropped and the snow came down and on the main roads Rt 43 E (about 6 or so miles west of NYC) the snow turned to ice almost immediately. About an inch of snow and the traffic was almost standstill. I saw a few cars/vans not make it up the inclined parkway entrance - simply spinning their wheels. On the road - buses, vans and cars were immobile - spinning their wheels too. Many just stopped, put on their emergency flashers and waited it out I guess - not a good situation to be in for sure. But thankfully, no collisions. As much as I hate them, it seems NJ Highway Dept was a little late with the salt spreaders. With my Allroad, I did as good as anyone could. When no one was anywhere near (and I'm going about 5mph) I hit the brakes and the ABS was flawless. I felt secure with Audi's quattro and said to my wife (she has an Outback) that I would never, ever get a non AWR car.

Now, about those people whose tires were spinning and got stuck or nearly stuck, I wondered was it the poor/worn tires that was the culprit or where there other reasons? I'm a nut about proper tires (have Michelin PILOT 3 AS and the Blizzaks for winter) and proper tires properly inflated.
Hopefully, it going to rain later, so tomorrow's commute will just be your usual flooding, rather than driving on and in snow/ice.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Things were a mess in Union County this afternoon. Passed quite a few BMWs and work vans stranded on moderate inclines on my way home....... and some guy in a Mustang making a valiant effort to get up a hill sideways. People were driving like total idiots though. You can't be in a rush during a snow storm.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Bob, those Blizzaks you sold me worked like a charm up here in CT. About 6” of snow and a lot of people who A) don’t know how to drive in snow and B) don’t have good tires. I had to pass quite a few who were stuck on 5% grades. I was able to drive past them like they were standing still (because they were).

For those of you who ask “can I use my all season tires in the snow” I say, try snows someday and you will be amazed at the difference. And those of us who have snows won’t have to worry about you sliding into our rear bumper when we stop.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

We have ~4" where I am in the Boston area now. I went out for a figurative spin to try the new car out in the snow. Im just running the Pirelli all seasons still so basically I was curious to see how the car behaves in the various states of the stability control system, and how the chassis and steering feel in low traction conditions. The steering is as numb as Ive read all along. That's kind of disappointing but I guess I shouldnt be surprised. The entire auto press industry wouldnt have been saying for years these electric steering cars have numb steering if they didnt actually.
On a positive note, the chassis is very communicative about whats going on with the car and there's A LOT less understeer than in my old WRX - great to see that. Also Im VERY happy to see the "sport" and "off" modes of the stability system do exactly what Id want them to. "sport" allows a lot of wheelspin and more fishtailing than I would have expected, before intervening and trying to "save me" from goofing off. And "off" allows full on donuts and parking lot drifting and other sillyness. Nice!

Now, just need a set of winter wheels/tires and I'll be good to go (go north, in snowstorms, for hours, to ski)!

Last edited by SkiingInABlueDream; 11-15-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob m
I felt secure with Audi's quattro and said to my wife (she has an Outback) that I would never, ever get a non AWR car.

Now, about those people whose tires were spinning and got stuck or nearly stuck, I wondered was it the poor/worn tires that was the culprit or where there other reasons?
I'm pretty sure it's both the tires and common sense. My previous car was Mazda 3 with decent all-season tires (Continental DWS) and that car never got stuck in snow. Especially during the 2016 east coast blizzard, I passed by way too many SUVs, pickups, and luxury cars taunting AWD that couldn't even pull themselves out of a mild incline. Of course AWD helps somewhat, but I wouldn't doubt that a Corolla with decent tires drives better in snow than a quattro with crappy, worn-out tires.

That being said, I probably don't have to mention this on an enthusiast forum, but please be mindful that braking is the same with AWD, RWD, or FWD and always anticipate the braking distance before putting power down on all 4 wheels.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
Bob, those Blizzaks you sold me worked like a charm up here in CT. About 6” of snow and a lot of people who A) don’t know how to drive in snow and B) don’t have good tires. I had to pass quite a few who were stuck on 5% grades. I was able to drive past them like they were standing still (because they were).

For those of you who ask “can I use my all season tires in the snow” I say, try snows someday and you will be amazed at the difference. And those of us who have snows won’t have to worry about you sliding into our rear bumper when we stop.
Excellent - glad to hear that. Snow tires IMHO - are a must where I am.

The NE got caught short - weather forecasters were way off and the Highway Dept did not salt or spray. Extremely poor performance, bordering on negligence. And now, waking up to see just what a nightmare this storm caused.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Went to work this AM with the summer tires still on the S4....didn't plow my driveway yesterday (was home, just didn't feel like it!), car did splendidly even on some of the unplowed backroads I took
Old 11-17-2018, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Snow has been here for about 3 weeks and won't be leaving for 4 months.

First snow storm of the season...-gwm8wso.jpg

First snow storm of the season...-tccdkyj.jpg

First snow storm of the season...-vdduxhv.gif
Old 11-17-2018, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by acruxksa
Snow has been here for about 3 weeks and won't be leaving for 4 months.

What type of tire are you running? How do you like how your A4 handles in the snow? Compared to your Volvo?
Old 11-17-2018, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Between driving my A4 in snow storms last year and driving it around DC during the snow on Thursday, I like the way it drives in the snow just fine.

But I also never had issues in my RWD 335i that I had prior. Just had to throw on some Blizzaks in the winter time and the car drove just fine.

Quick Reply: First snow storm of the season...