Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

MMI Display

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 03:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Display

Is there a way to close the MMI display? The power button only turns off the screen. I want to retract the screen into the dash like it does when the ignition is off.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Post #4: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...odels-2961774/
Old 11-17-2018, 03:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the fast reply. Damn that sucks. This is surely just a simple coding MOD. If anyone knows how to change this, please share. Thank You
Old 11-17-2018, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by rich8506
Thanks for the fast reply. Damn that sucks. This is surely just a simple coding MOD. If anyone knows how to change this, please share. Thank You
Right now there is no known way to code it to change. FWIW, I have a 2018 Q7 with a build date in 04/18 which still has the screen retracting. It seems that Q7s with build dates in May and after had the non-retractable screen (there was a thread somewhere discussing it).
Old 11-17-2018, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rich8506
Most of the coding is done via:
  • adaptation (relatively safe) - this is when the manufacturer foreseen a possible need to tweak parameters and there is an interface and variable that dealer can adjust using diagnostic tool (other tools take advantage of that as well, like OBDeleven).
  • long coding (not so safe) - this is when modders (or otherwise know as hackers) figure out how to change individual bits in NVRAM to change behavior, something that manufacturer either didn't want you to adjust or they have not foreseen the need to do so
  • EEPROM coding - this is the lowest (or hardest, most dangerous) type of coding, generally done only by manufacturer at the factory, normally refereed to as firmware upgrade/update, currently not possible via available tools. Some companies figured out how to do that using OBD dongles (I think Kufatec does this on limited bases).
It appears, at least at this point, that Audi has made a change in EEPROM to keep the screen extended. It would require software downgrade to bring back the functionality. It's quite a shame since this is such a useful feature.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

+1
Have a 17 now with a 19 due in anytime, I will miss this feature and hope Audi will permit dealers to enable if asked by the customer.

Audi of America: having the ability to retract the screen provides a better view of the road etc...pls address. Thanks
Old 11-17-2018, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC 1
Audi of America: having the ability to retract the screen provides a better view of the road etc...pls address. Thanks
+1
When screen is out of the way, It looks like you sit in a movie theater with nobody in front of you.
Sometimes I just close the screen and enjoy the view. When you think about it, it doesn't obstruct the view of the road as much but with the screen away it's a nice flat clean look.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How about an incentive, to the first one providing a solution $500.00? I’ll kick it off with $50.00
Old 11-17-2018, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

If Audi made the change to no longer allow the MMI screen to retract in Q7’s built May 2018 or later in order to be in compliance with new US federal law requirements, you can be pretty sure that they locked the code down so it cannot be altered...
Old 11-17-2018, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HGSB
If Audi made the change to no longer allow the MMI screen to retract in Q7’s built May 2018 or later in order to be in compliance with new US federal law requirements, you can be pretty sure that they locked the code down so it cannot be altered...
unreal, how is that a safety enhancement? I would think having it retracted would be safer in a few aspects

Quick Reply: MMI Display