Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Regular Gas instead of Premium?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Regular Gas instead of Premium?

Hey all,

Wanted to hear some thoughts on this topic! I have always put premium gas in my turbo-charged VWs for many years without questioning it at all. However, I had a discussion with a friend recently that makes me wonder what the truth is for running regular gas in engines that were designed to run premium. I searched a little bit and found AAA had provided some information on this topic. In one of the earlier articles, they mentioned that:

"Modern engines prevent the damage from happening before it starts,” said Patrick Kelly, a fuels analyst with the American Petroleum Institute. “It wouldn’t impact fuel economy. And it wouldn’t impact the emissions. What it would impact is the performance."

In their most recent study in December 2017, an Audi A3 was included in the test. This seems very interesting to me as I believe the A3 has the same engine as Q7 2.0T but tuned differently.

"On average, the vehicles got 2.7% better fuel economy when running Premium gas. But that's just an average. The results varied from a 7.1% improvement in the big Escalade SUV to a 1% decrease in fuel economy in the small Audi A3."

IMO, it is debatable if lower octane fuel would cause damage or more consumption in these engines. My DD is a Porsche Macan S with 3.0TT. There were a couple times I put regular gas in it and I paid close attention to how the engine behaves. I noticed zero difference (performance, MPG, NVH). Overall, no matter what fuel you're using, the $$ impact gonna be very tiny compared to the cost of a $60k+ car. I'm just curious to see if anyone here use regular gas in their Q7 or other Audi models? Any thought?

https://money.cnn.com/2017/12/12/aut...ium-gas-study/
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/a.../03OCTANE.html
Old 11-19-2018, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Premium only
Old 11-19-2018, 07:39 PM
alk
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also premium only
Old 11-19-2018, 07:45 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

For everyday putting around town the performance difference would be negligible, but if you hammer it the engine will undoubtedly pull back some performance on lower octane fuel.
Honestly I always use premium but it is nice to know when only regular is available like after Sandy that the car can still run beautifully on regular.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Premium, and mpg does go down with regular gas
Old 11-19-2018, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

I always use premium in my Audis. For me it's less than $200 a year more compared to using regular.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always premium and always from a “name brand” station - I’m leery of the detergents & additives that Brand-XYZ may (or may not) use.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HGSB
Always premium and always from a “name brand” station - I’m leery of the detergents & additives that Brand-XYZ may (or may not) use.

Same here I always look for Top Tier Gas. If you are unsure there is a sticker on the front of the pump that say’s Top Tier.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I use premium in all my German cars (they all require it), even my 10 year old MB.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i use 89 on my daily driver 2.0t a4 and really don't notice any difference in mpg. This is the first german car i am doing that on, as i've always used 93.

Tried it once on my Q7 3.0T and didn't really notice a difference. Normal driving, MPG seemed probably the same +- a few %

When i picked up the Q in germany, the tech over there told me Audi recommends 95 (euro formula) but if i didn't use that, it's fine, engine adjusts the timing based on octane grade. Said i would lose about 4hp.

Quick Reply: Regular Gas instead of Premium?